Topic

Ghost Whisperer Anorak Windshirt Durability?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ghost Whisperer Anorak Windshirt Durability?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Refers to this:

Anorak

I know it's definitely not going to be that durable. All I want to know is if anyone has tested it and found it survives normal pack-strap rubbing? Anyone know how this piece does with that kind of wear?

Thanks,

Max

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

A hood goes a long way on a windshirt.

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

IMHO a wind shirt is no good without the hood.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

It's not for the rain, and it's not what I'm asking, haha. I'm looking for a cycling layer and I can't fit a hood over my bike helmet.

My summer trip is going to be 80% cycling and 20% hiking and backpacking, so I need a single piece optimized for the former.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I doubt the durability would be very good for cycling, not to mention that without a drop tail you're inviting wind up your back.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

over or under helmets.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Doug, any experience to back that up? Not that I doubt you, but you seem to be inferring the same way I am.

I was going to size it up. Most cycling specific windshirts can't match the weight of this guy. Also, I have a Large to XL head, and my helmet rests on top of it. I have never, ever found a hood that fits over my head and a cycling helmet that has protection in the rear that would stay on in a brisk wind. It's not even worth looking for.

I get a lot of blowback for asking windshirt questions… I think maybe everyone's a little glued to personal experience (or romantically connected to the Patagonia Houdini).

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Your link goes to a Japanese site with a Yen pricepoint, and the jacket pictured has no thumb loops. I'm also not really comfortable ordering from a lot of sites, because I value customer service, fast shipping, reliable returns service, etc. I need to be able to buy it from REI.com, Zappos.com, EMS.com, or Backcountry.com.

We're also way off-topic. OP was pretty specific!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Doug, any experience to back that up?"

Experience with this particular wind shirt? No. Experience with thin windshirts? Yes. Experience with windshirts without drop tails while cycling? Oh gosh, yes, plenty. Blowed wind right up my back. ACTUALLY.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Doug,

I don't want to sound like I'm doubting you. Please don't be offended. Here's some points I want to bring up:

1. I am 6'2" but I am disproportionately all legs, so few if any appropriately sized garments ride up in the rear for me. If I order this in a Large instead of my usual medium (and accounting for the fact that this garment is sized down to begin with), I am reasonably confident that I still won't get a rise in the back.

2. I ride with a hip pack on, so I can tuck the back under the straps there to prevent a rise.

3. If you have experience with sub-3oz windshirts of paper-thin material, can you offer some experience on the durability of these materials under packstraps? See the OP!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

What's up with people posting comments that have zero correlation to OP's questions*…not just this thread either. Jeezus.

"Did he mention a windshirt? O lemme just just use this opportunity to go on a tirade about windshirts in general and why I think my personal choices are the best for everyone."

BPL isn't a soapbox…the sooner people figure that out the better the content gets. Now, if you would just give me a minute to get of my soapbox…

Mike M has that windshirt, hopefully he can chime in with his experiences.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65055

But you shouldn't consider it because it doesn't have a hood (sarcasm)

*Doug, this doesn't include you…I see your comments about cycling windshirts was on point…I also agree with your insights about "blowback" in your post below mine.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

C'mon Max. Do you ever wonder why your threads seem to go like this?

Okay, first off, you didn't offend me. I don't know you well enough for you to offend me. Really. The ACTUALLY was simply a riff on the ACTUAL in your previous post title. I thought it was funny. Your mileage may vary.

You want me to see the OP! With exclamation point! But I did see the OP. Two folks responded. It 'twas you, then, that responded you were going to use it for cycling and so discounted the first two responses. I responded to your comment on cycling, not someone else's. So it seems, I don't know, relevant?

"I get a lot of blowback for asking windshirt questions"

I think you get blowback for what some perceive to be a somewhat persnippity attitude in some of your responses to folks. And I have plenty of first hand experience with that.

Lastly, please, doubt me all you want. Plenty of folks do. I still sleep well at night.

Tchuss.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I don't have that specific wind shirt, but I do have one that's 2.5 ounces and probably has similar material.
    They are surprisingly durable for normal wear.
    There would be problems with snagging on brambles, etc, but for cycling or regular trail hiking they are fine, IMO.

If you get one with a drawstring bottom hem, you can avoid most of the problems of wind up your back.
    For cycling you want a tight fit. Flapping clothes are a major source of aerodynamic drag, and also can wind-tatter some clothes into submission over time.

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

I ordered one of these from Sierra Trading Post. It is beautifully light. I really wanted to keep it, but unfortunately the arms were extremely short. I'm talking like 4" too short! I am also 6"2" and long-limbed. The medium was snug, and I considered a large, yet the arm length from the size chart would have only gained me something like an inch (I don't remember exactly). I think that sufficiently long arms are of even more importance for cycling. I sold it to a friend that is built much stockier than I am. He's really only used it for skate skiing, so I can't give you any real info on durability.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

"What's up with people posting comments that have zero correlation to OP's questions*…not just this thread either. Jeezus. "

I felt it and you said it. Not all of my choices are immediately obvious to people when they respond. I have a lot of different things in my head; past experience with hoods, the types of hats and balaclavas and scarves I own, the way I want my windshirt to look when I hike with a bunch of 20-year old women… My life is complicated. My post isn't.

Doug, you were the unfortunate victim of death by association. I got curt with you because other people were already driving my post off a cliff. I apologize, though I'm sure you'll live. ;)

Re: sleeves, there's a great youtube video that shows the windshirt on a guy who looks about my size: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ECybIRw7j8

Note that the sleeves appear short. I figured this was going to happen; I'm expecting it. And honestly, it seems fine to me. I'll gladly take sleeves that are a bit too short over sleeves that shred because they're in the way of my hands when I'm scrambling.

Thank you for the posts on the durability of these materials. If one person can give me their experience wearing a thin windshirt under pack straps specifically, I would be really grateful. I know the Marmot Super Mica jacket has reinforcement on it, but I feel like that could be marketing because none of my clothes are really exhibiting backpack-specific wear. Maybe I haven't gone far enough?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Reiterating this for clarity: Still ONLY looking for OP relevant information. Thanks!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools