Topic

EE Prodigy X 50 deg Quilt: How low can you go?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) EE Prodigy X 50 deg Quilt: How low can you go?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Craig Hensley
    Spectator

@jchens

Locale: North GA

For folks that own or have used an Enlightened Equipment Prodigy 50 degree quilt, what is the coldest temperature you have used it in? I live in the Appalachian Mountains of north Georgia, and I've been looking for a synthetic quilt to use during the late spring, summer, and early fall.

I have never used a quilt, and I currently use a 40 deg Marmot Atom down bag during these seasons. I initially looked at MLD's Spirit quilts. However, the price and more extensive sizing options of the Enlightened Equipment Prodigy X line has me very interested. I tend to sleep very warm. I prefer sleeping on my side, but I don't mind sleeping on my back (although I snore like a silverback gorilla while doing this). I typically use a luxurious NeoAir ground pad.

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I just ordered the 40* version and plants test it pretty soon. Any quilt will feel cooler in the summer since you can open it flat. If you are small enough, here is a deal on a EE summer quilt…if its still available.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73098

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

I don't have a whole lot of data points, but I can tell you I was getting a bit chilly in the 40deg ProdigyX (i.e, 4oz Apex) last summer when temps got down in the low 40's. I wasn't expecting temps that low and I was in boxers and a t-shirt. It warmed up after that night and I didn't get a chance to test how low I could go with some more clothing layers. Last year EE had the 4oz material rated as "35 degree" and I think it was good move to relabel it as "40 degree".

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Herb, were you using a bivy with your quilt?

Craig Hensley
    Spectator

@jchens

Andy, thanks for pointing me toward that quilt, although I think it would be too small for me. I'm 5' 10" and about 195 lbs. If you can remember to, please let me know how your 40 degree Prodigy performs. I forgot to mention that in cooler temperatures, I will probably be using my MLD Superlight bivy with the quilt in an attempt to extend its range.

Herb, sorry to hear your Prodigy got chilly. Was your quilt getting drafty? Any wind to speak of that night?

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

The only cool night experience I had with my 40deg Prodigy was night where it got down to, I think, 43 degrees. I was wearing boxers and a t-shirt (and no hat) in Tarptent Notch with full net inner, decent breeze blowing through. At some point during night I'm sure I pulled quilt tight around me. Toward coldest at morning I was chilly even that way. Not teeth-chattering chilly but mildly uncomfortable. Not chilly enough that I got out of bed to add more clothing over boxers and t-shirt, though that's probably what I should have done. Drafts not an issue once you pull quilt around you, and at 52" wide (last year's reg size) the quilt was plenty wide for me.

IMO this is entirely expected result at temps close to temperature rating. If I'd been warm at 43deg then I would have considered it a 35 degree quilt. I was chilly and 40deg rating seems about right.

I suspect MLD's 38deg Spirit quilt uses same 4oz Apex as EE 40deg. Here's comfort into that you can get on MLD Spirit page:
    "Spirit Quilt 38
    38 Degrees : Long sleeve shirt, long pants, socks, light balaclava
    32 Degrees : Lightly insulated clothes, thicker balaclava, bivy or enclosed shelter
    25 Degrees : More insulated clothes, mo-better balaclava, real nice socks + bivy or enclosed shelter"
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=133

Given the comfort into MLD gives for their 28 degree quilt I also suspect the 38deg info is a little optimistic (or alternatively that you should plan on being quite chilly with temps and clothes as described):
    "Spirit Quilt 28
    28 Degrees: Lightly insulated clothes, thicker balaclava + bivy
    20 Degrees : All of the above plus raw animal willpower"

Craig Hensley
    Spectator

@jchens

That all makes sense. I guess I could hope to acheive bearable comfort levels if the temperature drops in the 40s and I'm in a 50 deg quilt with some hooded, insulated clothing, bivy, etc.

Honestly, a good night's sleep is more important to me than shaving a few ounces but needing "raw animal willpower" to make it through the night. That doesn't sound like much fun…

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

"I guess I could hope to acheive bearable comfort levels if the temperature drops in the 40s and I'm in a 50 deg quilt with some hooded, insulated clothing, bivy, etc."

That sounds perfectly reasonable. I'm guessing I'd be acceptably warm at 45 degrees with that combo of clothes and EE Prodigy50. I doubt I'd be warm enough that I'd want to plan for using it at 45 degrees as a regular thing, though. Maybe, maybe not, people are different.

I think Tim Marshall at EE is actually best person for people to be asking these kind of questions about EE quilts. He has a vested interest in making sure people get something that's going to work for them and he has far more knowledge of which of his quilts work in what conditions than anybody here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools