Topic

Which is more breathable: Marmot Gravity softshell jacket, or a Marmot Driclime shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which is more breathable: Marmot Gravity softshell jacket, or a Marmot Driclime shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Just like the title says. Both will shed wind and keep off frozen precipitation, but does anyone know which is technically more breathable?

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

While I do not have a Gravity I do have a similar weight First Ascent soft shell that I use for lift served skiing and I have used driclime wind shirts extensively. I have no idea about scientific breathability but as far as perceived breathability I vote for the driclime. The wicking of the liner always makes me feel warmer and drier. From the marmot website on the Gravity "M1 shells provide the highest level of warmth and thermal protection. They are best for intermittent aerobic use in cold conditions".

As far as use for backpacking I personally would only go with a driclime and then only in winter. Just today I was testing out a new Ether driclime above tree line with a windchill well below 0. Donned just before leaving the trees it was toasty warm over a wool tee and rab boreas and breathed very well. I wore it the rest of the trip and it breathed well on the descent while doing a great job pulling moisture out of my first two layers. I had taken my driclime wind shirt out of rotation for winter overnight trips for a while, instead taking separate wind and mid layers but it is firmly back. It moves moisture so well and does the job of a soft shell, mid layer, wind layer, and baselayer. It is 8.8 0z(man. spec) well spent in my opinion for very cold conditions. My only complaint about the ether is that the hood kind of sucks as it lacks adjustability, though I do prefer having it compared to my classic version.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Travis,

The Gravity is speced at 15 CFM and I lab tested the Driclime at ~24 CFM.

Ryan W
    Spectator

@ryanw

I haven't used the Gravity, only tried it on in the store so I can't compare the breathability.

I have put several hundred miles on a Driclime and pretty much agree with everything Gary said. It's plenty breathable for everything I've used it for and simplifies my layering system for cold weather winter hiking. I also use it a ton for summer dayhikes as a "compromise layer" – a little insulation, a little rain protection, wind protection, good breathability, and bug protection without the need to carry anything more. The hood does suck.

The Gravity, I suspect, would be much warmer and would be more challenging for me to fit into my layering system. I appreciate that I can keep the Ether on pretty much the whole day whereas I suspect I would have to add and remove the Gravity more often depending on the temp.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Thanks everyone. Exactly what I was looking for.

I'm asking about these two in particular because I own them. I got the Gravity early on in my winter pursuits, and for the most part I like the jacket. Its big drawback is being a bit stifling with a pack against my back. No matter how well I vent with the zipper, I always sweat there and I was wondering if the Driclime would let that area breathe more, or at least do a better job wicking the moisture away from my skin. It's a tough area to minimize moisture.

Looks like I'll have to try my Driclime for my next winter outing.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

if it a membrane softshell? … those arent too breathable

for softshells, get non membrane … those can be quite "breathable"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools