Topic

Bushmate stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bushmate stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Bushbuddy stove has been on my mind for some time. I like the idea but particularly now that I am out of work ( I fired myself recently) the thought of spending over $100 US is bordering into the obscene area. So , since I have the time, I have been tinkering with the downdraught design. This is the result. Two cans, one a large cat food can and the other a taller Campbell soup can. The latter is something very unusual for me.
    Tools needed : one hammer, one nail, one pair of scissors. Note the esthetically pleasing aluminum foil (to stop the gap between the two cans)
    With a couple of 1" thick , 4" long pieces of wood (a dead branch from my camellia tree,( possibly not a good bit of burning wood and not very seasoned) I boiled one quart in about 10 minutes. That really was not the point, I have made a hobo stove that does much better than that, however I wanted to see the "downdraught" bit happening and to my surprise flames were coming out of the inner can stronger than from the wood it self. It took me a while (10 minutes) to come out with the pot support but I finally nailed it.
    I call it the Bushmate
    ( any resemblance to the Bushmate is purely intentional)
    170g . after three boils I would expect about 30-50 boils from it
    Franco
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/Francos-mate-1.jpg
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/Francos-mate.jpg

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Franco,

1) Nice job. Very well done.

2) Did you actually do the whole load a batch of wood in and light the top? Or did you simply get it burning and dump some stick in?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

It needs a lot of work ( I am starting to appreciate the cost of the Bushbuddy) for a start that aluminum foil gap filler is not the best, but it works.
    I put in about two thirds of that wood and added the rest. At the start it caused a lot of smoke (could be the wood I was using) but once it gets going, a couple of minutes, there is very little smoke happening. My main point was to make it with tools that most have and to be really simple , for people like me.
    Franco
    This reminds me of one of my lines in retail ( I was not one of those smooth guys)
    Customer : I like to see a simple camera for my wife
    Me : how simple is your wife ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools