Topic

Can’t find a good fleece!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can’t find a good fleece!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"I ended up making a sacrifice- Windproofness. Instead, I'll supplement my fleece with a windshirt."

Windproof fleece is terrible stuff. Like softshells, it is fine for commuting or running errands around town, but is just doesn't breath well. A windshirt layered with a fleece and base layer is great for cold damp conditions.

IMHO, any of the light breathable fleece materials will work. Add Power Stretch to R1 and the rest. You can wear them comfortably under your rain shell too, adding warmth and moisture transfer and getting the cold rain shell off your shoulders and arms. You'll like your fleece for sleep as well.

I like a full zip hoody for all-around versatility. Vests are my favorite summer day hike backup insulation; my Power Stretch vest is just 8oz and takes up little room. You can find used 200W items for pennies.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I really dislike most hoods. They get in my way, and they rarely fit my head just right. I prefer to combine a zip neck and a hat. I tolerate a hood for my rain shell and nothing else.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

To each his own there. I like a hood as it can't get lost or blow away and protects neck and ears. A hood can sit loose and vent a bit, or can be pulled in to act more like a balaclava. A hat is on or off.

I have an R.5 beanie that is great supplement to my summer day hiking kit where I wouldn't have a full hoody. I have a stuff sack with light vest, beanie and liner gloves in case the weather gets stinky.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

When biking, I cannot wear a hood. I just can't. Even when I bike without a helmet, like commuting 1 mile to my campus on quiet roads (judge me if you will) I can't risk the hood cutting off my peripherals or falling too far down my forehead. Same deal when hiking; I hate looking up for the next blaze and catching a hood in my vision for the umpteenth time. I don't want to experiment with 8 different jackets until I find a hood that works in real life as well as the store.

When it rains, I either allow myself to get wet or I wear a rain shell combined with a wide-brim hat. I have a nice Tilley hat for just such a purpose, and when I start doing extended backpacking I'll pack an OR Halo or something. If it's thunderstorm raining outside, I won't go biking.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Yeah, hoods and bikes don't mix well— like suicidal. a hood on a fleece is a camp thing. A properly designed hood for a rain shell should have some drawstrings to pull the sides back.

A baseball cap can cure some sloppy hoods— the bill will swing the hood with your head rather than getting a closeup view of the latest 2.5 layer inner coating.

The hoods that are designed to accommodate a climbing helmet are a pain for those who don't need the helmet option. Lateral and rear drawstrings are a must for those larger hoods. I prefer a built in visor too.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I think a lot of businesses look at the whole helmet thing and don't see a lost customer when it comes to a hood that's too big, whereas they do see a profit loss in one that is too small. A shame. helmets become the default.

Your other comment was hugely useful, though. Rather than wear a baseball cap, an UL visor or a GoLite visor would do wonderfully for keeping the hood out of the way. I'll try it.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I wear the Melanzana or other hoody and use the hood a lot this time of year, but I do wear it over a baseball style cap and with the hood cinched tight.

This creates a tight fit and no reduction in peripheral vision.

Same thing should hold true with a visor, I'd think.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools