Topic

Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

I thought that the Big Agnes Scout 2 was going to be the answer to my shelter search. Currently I am using a SMD Skyscape Trekker. I really like this tent, but wish it had a bit more floor space. I really don't like to leave things outside so I'm looking for a new tent with a bit more floor space. The trekker has about 24 sq ft, so I'm looking to go up to around 30. High ceilings, side entry, and the ability to have a view are all wants in a new shelter. Weight is also a consideration, I would like to stay under 3 lbs max. I have been looking at the double rainbow, the lightheart duo, and the hex amid, but want to have a bathtub floor. Any other ideas? Thanks for your input.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The Lightheart Duo does have a bathtub floor. Choose the wedge option and get great view potential. I have the Solo and love it – it's still my favorite all around shelter.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Also check out the Solong 6 by Lightheart Gear! It is 30sq ft and has boxed off corners to greatly increase the usable space! I have have fit two big people inside on 2-20" mummy shaped pads with no problem. And it is a palace for one!!!

David Ure

@familyguy

All Shire Tarptents have bathtub floors.

What are you looking to spend and do you want double walls? The Hyperlite Montain Gear Echo 2 should be considered. It is arguably the most bomber of any double walled tarp ten design, under 2 lbs, and no poles inside your shelter to contend with. The fabric used has a much higher hydrostatic head than silnylon without the stretch, if that is a consideration.

I think Doug's tent is cuben as well.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I think Doug's tent is cuben as well."

Yes, cuben shell, sil floor.

David Ure

@familyguy

Wiseacre has cuben underwear, or so I have heard.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Cost is not so much an issue, and neither are double walls. I would like it to have good ventilation to keep condensation down, and a design that controls where the water goes if there is condensation. Not a big fan of cuban, mostly be ause of the cost. And not sure how Doug could stand the cuban underwear. I think it would feel kinda yucky down there, although I am sure it would dry well.

Looked at the HMG Echo series, not really what I'm after, and its a bit pricey.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"And not sure how Doug could stand the cuban underwear. I think it would feel kinda yucky down there, although I am sure it would dry well."

I use the breathable cuben, of course, so it feels great. And at my age I kinda need the waterproofness……

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

And the airflow too.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'd vote for the TT double rainbow, but have not used one.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Why the Double Rainbow? The single Rainbow is very large for a solo tent. The Double adds a little more floor space and a second door. I suppose that gives better views and breathability for the extra weight. They are both excellent tents.

If I were buying a new solo tent right now it would be a Tarptent Notch. Two doors, great views and ventilation, looks like plenty of room (similar to my Moment), 26 ounces, uses my trekking poles instead of a dedicated pole.

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I have a SMD Wild Oasis that I sent off to Bear Paw Wilderness Designs and had them sew in a silnylon floor. According to SMDs website, it has about 36 square feet of space. It's great, only takes one pole to set up and weighs about 17-18oz. There is a picture of one on their "Custom Work" page. Works great for me, I am about 5-11 and use a neoair. Lots of room for all my gear in the vestibule area.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I second the TT Notch as a great solo tent that can be used also with fly only (say at lunchtime in a driving rain), inner only or both.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

I have a Notch myself and think it's a great tent. But roomy it's not. I would say it has the perfect amount of space for a single person, but I understand if some people think it's a bit small.

OP said he has a Skyscape Trekker he's happy with but he wants more space. Skyscape is already roomier than Notch, so I don't think Notch is what OP is looking for.

TT Stratospire 1 or 2, on the other hand, may be exactly what OP is looking for (and they use design similar to Notch). Merely looking at specs you might not think SS1 is much roomier than Skyscape Trekker, but you have to realize that the specs show only floor space in the inner nettent and the actual interior feels far roomier. I bring my pack inside the nettent even in my Notch, put it at extreme head or foot of tent, but it's a bit crowded. In SS1 I'm sure everything would fit fine. SS1 is 33 ounces and SS2 is 40 ounces.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

"I have a Notch myself and think it's a great tent. But roomy it's not. I would say it has the perfect amount of space for a single person, but I understand if some people think it's a bit small. "

Thanks for the input. I was assuming that the Notch was similar to the Moment, which I find quite large enough for me and much of my gear inside, with my pack, boots, and other stuff in the vestibule. But if it's already smaller than what he's using, um, never mind…. ;-)

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Thanks for all the ideas, cam anyone come up with anything else?

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

If you're looking for more floor space than Trekker (I'm still not clear what you have with you that you can't bring inside the Trekker) then you're pretty much looking for a two person tent. Besides the options mentioned already you might consider these side-entry two person tents:

Tarptent Stratospire 1 or Stratospire 2
    Tarptent Double Rainbow (or regular Rainbow)
    Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo
    Six Moon Designs Haven tarp with SMD inner nettent
    Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 (heavier but I know some people like them)
    Mountain Laurel Duomid with 2 person inner (not quite side-entry and not sure how much more floorspace this has than Trekker)
    ZPacks Hexamid Twin (stretching a bit on this one, but maybe for extra weight-conscious it's an option. . .)

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Although I am more found of the tarp bug bivy/net combos(I am able to put everything under my tent). I have found that the double wall style tarptents have the advantage of more flexibility and better ventilation which can be important in hot weather, but at the cost of slightly more weight for the same floorspace.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools