Topic

Gopro Hero 3 vs. Sony HDR-AS10? Helmet Cam advice?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Gopro Hero 3 vs. Sony HDR-AS10? Helmet Cam advice?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Hi. Can someone advise me on what helmet cam to get? I want to step-up to an HD helmet cam to upgrade from what I already use. It has to be rugged and waterproof because it'll be used backpacking, kayaking, and fishing.

I'm debating between the Gopro Hero 3 White (199 dollars), Gopro Hero 3 silver (299), and the sony HDR-AS10 (178 on sale)…….the HDR-AS15 is 249 and is wifi capable, but I don't see myself needing wifi.

What do you think would be the best option? Do any of you have experience with any of these? I can't afford the black edition gopro (399) and I'd rather spend less. I'm really only concerned about video quality because I will also have a camera for pictures. It'll be mounted on my hat/helmet while hiking and fishing and sometimes on a pole on my kayak.

The sony is the new kid on the block and I'm just wondering if they aren't just more popular b/c gopros have been so dominant.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Here are some links for the sony camera:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887140-REG/Sony_hdras10_b_HDR_AS10_HD_Action_Camcorder.html

http://store.sony.com/p/Action-Cam%2C-Compact%2C-Rugged%2C-HD-video%2C-action-camcorder%2C-Go-Pro%2C-Skateboarding%2C-Cycling%2C-Hiking%2C-AS10/en/p/HDRAS10/B

Main Features

Compact & Rugged Full HD Video Action Camcorder
    The Sony HDR-AS10 is a rugged, wearable Full HD video camcorder. Weighing in at just 90 grams (with battery), this compact and lightweight unit allows you to capture your adventures on the mountain, in the water and anywhere else life may take you as the action happens

High-Quality Full HD 1080p Recording
    The HDR-AS10 offers 1920 x 1080p high-definition resolution letting you record your memories in exceptional Full HD quality. It supports playback via HDMI with a compatible HDTV for stunning clarity, incredibly detail and smoother playback of your video

Includes Ruggedized Waterproof Housing with Universal Tripod Mount
    The HDR-AS10 ships with a ruggedized, waterproof housing with universal tripod mount that is built to handle extreme environments, allowing you to concentrate on safety and composition while capturing Full HD videos. Within the housing, the camera is waterproof down to 197' (60 m) and has dirt and dust resistant seals that help make it nearly impervious to mud, snow, rain and grime

SteadyShot Image Stabilization Reduces Blur
    SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video from wide angle to full telephoto shooting. In addition, innovative 3-Way Shake-Canceling adds electronic roll stability for even smoother video capture

Ultra-Wide Angle Carl Zeiss Lens (170° FOV)
    With an ultra-wide angle Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens, you will increase your perspective (170° viewing angle) while you venture out on breathtaking views of dynamic terrain to include ski slopes and mountain trails

2x & 4x Slow Motion Video Modes in HD
    Extreme sports athletes and enthusiasts will enjoy HD Slow 2x (1280 x 720p at 60 fps) and HD Slow 4x (1280 x 720p at 120 fps) modes that shoot slow motion, which is ideal for studying and refining form and technique. For traditional shooting methods, the camcorder also offers several different resolutions to suit your needs including Full HD 1920 x 1080p at 30 fps, HD 1280 x 720p at 30 fps and SD VGA 640 x 480p at 30 fps

Exmor R CMOS Sensor for Superb Low Light Performance
    Experience stunning low-light sensitivity with improved image clarity and drastically reduced grain thanks to Sony's back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS image sensor. Designed for compact cameras and camcorders, the Exmor R CMOS sensor relocates the photo diodes above the support circuitry, maximizing the light gathering area per pixel so you can shoot with better results in lower lighting conditions

Simply "Press-n-Go" with Large Start/Stop Button
    Operation of the Sony HDR-AS10 is as simple as pressing a large, easy-to-press start/stop button. Just press the button and you're shooting the adventure of a lifetime

Memory Stick Micro & MicroSD/SDHC Compatible
    The HDR-AS10 features a memory card slot that accepts Memory Stick Micro (M2) and microSD/SDHC (class 4 or higher) type memory cards. Enjoy the flexibility and convenience of expandable memory via the memory card (sold separately) that is most convenient and offers maximum compatibility with most computers

Built-In Stereo Microphone
    A built-in stereo microphone allows you to capture all the exciting sounds of your adventure

HDMI Output
    Using the camera's HDMI output, you'll be able to share your video footage with friends and family on your HDTV (HDMI cable not included)

Includes 2 Adhesive Mounts for Flat & Curved Surfaces
    Hands-free shooting is at your disposal. Mount your HDR-AS10 easily and securely to most flat and curved surfaces with the two included adhesive mounts

Other Features

Exmor R CMOS image sensor

Date/Time Stamp (records date and time)

Media/Battery Indicator: yes (recordable time) / yes (remaining capacity)

Fast Playback: about 5 times / 10 times

Auto Image Management File Repair

Recording mode and image stabilization on screen indicators

5, 10, 30 and 60 second interval recording (photo mode)

Power Save Mode

170° angle of view without SteadyShot

120° angle of view with SteadyShot

Date and Time, Area Setting: yes

BIONZ image processor

Multi-segment metering modes

Auto Exposure Settings

Noise Reduction

Auto White Balance Mode

Auto Backlight Compensation

Auto Gain Control

BRAVIA Sync

Bryan Hansel

@bryanhansel

Locale: Great Lakes

I read an online review that thought the GoPro was better. I have no experience with the Sony, but I do with GoPro. It's a solid performer. I've used it on a kayak and the adhesive mounts they supply stay put. I've had one on my kayak since last April and it's still there.

Here's a video that was shot with three GoPro cameras and a DSLR that I had part in filming. http://vimeo.com/41391585

Casey Greene

@caseygreene

Locale: upper rattlesnake

mtbr just put out a nice review of 6 pov camera: http://reviews.mtbr.com/pov-action-cam-shootout-camera-best

I've been debating this myself and decided to go with the Sony Action Cam AS10. GoPro 3's have to many buggy issues and complaints (which can be read on Amazon and elsewhere). Battery life supposedly can be fickle as well, and I dont need that acting up in the backcountry.

I also released that if I'm only going to be making videos for vimeo or youtube, I don't need to shoot in 1080p, and the Action Cam shoot 120fps in 720p.

Peter Evans

@nlslacker

I bought a HERO3, I know it's out of your price range, but it's a great little camera.
    I find it great for outdoor photography because it's simple, tiny and has a super-wide angle.
    I use it with a skeleton case on a lanyard around my neck most of the time.

Here is a picture I took recently… 170 degree wide angle photo of a local beach:
    (Colors adjusted and image scaled down)
    b

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools