Topic

I Take Back Everything I ever said about the REI Flash 45

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I Take Back Everything I ever said about the REI Flash 45

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Okay so I finally got to look at a Flash 45 in person today…

I officially take back everything good I've ever said about this pack. From the specs I'd assumed it would have a somewhat stiff frame. It does not. The "frame" is barely stiffer then the foam back panel on a Golite Jam. This is not the breakthrough design I'd hoped for. If you like the current Jam you might like the REI but its not a true internal frame pack.

What a disappointment I was thinking we had a $140 pack that weighed 2 pounds and could actually carry some weight.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Find an Exos 46/58 on sale and you'd have something in that weight and price range. I got mine for 155.. fairly close.

I also tried on the REI flash when I was looking at them and even empty it felt uncomfortable for me so it was quickly taken off the list.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Lowe Alpine Zepton 50 @ STP? Lose the lid and you'd be real close to 2#…~$100 with the right code.

???

I bought the Nanon 35:40 awhile back, which is ~6 oz. heavier…FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I like the frame on the new REI Flash 45. I think it is stiff enough vertically stay comfortable in the 25-30 range but has enough flexibility from side to side that it moves with your stride. I think the pack does that its meant to for REI and fills the true lightweight spot in their line-up.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Just goes to show how "personal" a pack experience can be. Almost like buying shoes — sometimes, you just can't tell until you've tried it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I read that the Flash 45 has an aluminum head rail and Delrin rods, sounding much like an Osprey Hornet.

Are the rods well anchored to the waist belt?
    Are the rods too flexible and if so, could they be placed with something like aluminum tubing?

David Ure

@familyguy

Buy an HMG pack. All 2lbs or under with very stiff stays (now) and varying sized and options. Bomber material and multiple sizes. More expensive but then you get something that works.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

"Okay so I finally got to look at a Flash 45 in person today…

I officially take back everything good I've ever said about this pack. From the specs I'd assumed…"

And that is why we like informed opinions. Not spec sheet guess-work.

;-)

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

"And that is why we like informed opinions. Not spec sheet guess-work"

I never claimed to have much knowledge of it. I pointed several people shopping for packs toward this one as a possible option but at that point it was brand new and I hadn't been able to look at one. I also told people I hadn't used it and they should check it out for themselves.

David Ure

@familyguy

Luke, I think you should have left your comment about the Porter in your post. It is in a completely different league.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I forgot what I said about the Porter David. I tried a Porter once that did not fit (torso too short). But I would agree its in a different league. With a proper fit I'm sure I could carry 40 pounds in the Porter and possibly more. It's frame is way stiffer.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

Dale, this is really late, but I just bought a Flash 45 today and can answer your question (if you are still wondering).

The rods do not anchor directly to the waist belt. However, the design is very effective at transferring load to the hips. The rods have their own "pockets" at the bottom of the pack, and the webbing for the waist belt attaches directly to that "pocket". The webbing is separate from the actual waist belt padding (it slides between the padding and the pocket). Does that make sense? I can take a picture if you would like. It seems to remove a need for waist belt stabilizers since the belt pulls straight on the rods.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tyler,

Thanks for the update. It makes sense. I'll have to take a look the next time I'm at REI (I get distracted…..)

You should write up a review with pictures and arrows :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools