Topic

Joshua Tree NP Traverse

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Joshua Tree NP Traverse

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

this will be a one day traverse of Joshua Tree via the CRHT- ~38 miles w/ a drop/resupply at the half way point (Keys), thus the food weight is cut in half

expected temps temps- highs upper 60's, lows lower 40's

Photobucket

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Bueno.

Capilene 4 beanie seems a little "heavy handed" considering the mild temps. It is also a redundant item. You have the Buff, wrap it around your Headsweats cap if needed at the start.

You have TP and wipes listed, but no WAG bag to carry them out if they're used. I say ditch them and find a smooth rock, or add a means to pack it out.

Body Glide. Lather up before you run and leave it in a drop bag at the midway point. Reapply there if needed.

Are your shorts orange?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

the cap 4 is actually a pretty light/breathable beanie as far as beanies go, but you're right w/ the buff it probably is redundant

now using a smooth rock isn't some kind of desert snipe hunt deal is it? didn't know they wanted you to pack it out, that definitely adds some good incentive not to bring TP! :)

good idea on the body glide- much easier to apply w/ the bigger stick too

no, but my shirt and windshirt will be :)

you were supposed to comment on the FluidFlex shoes, brand new from Montrail- low drop- 4mm, 7.6 oz, no rock plate, but relatively thick EVA, relatively decent tread

just got them today (put 6 easy miles on them), it's my first low drop shoe, so not 100% I'll have enough miles/confidence in running w/ them @ JT

wish you could make it!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Dan Carter and I were jabbing about the new Montrail line of shoes the other day on our group run. I hadn't seen them yet. Montrail has been slower to market with the low drop shoe designs. I think they were smart in waiting it out instead of jumping in headfirst. The dust has settled and the 4-6mm drop range seems to be the happy medium for trail shoes.

The toebox looks roomy on that shoe, which is a good change for Montrail.

I'm still running in the original Pure Grits. On my fifth pair.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

4 mm drop, 7.6 oz, no rock plate,
    my house slippers are beafier than that :-)

I've been testing the Pearl Izumi Peak II shoes this year and will probably use them on the desert lark coming up. At 9.7 oz (with rock plate) they are at the limit for me, lightest pair I've ever tried. If a shoe won't work for at least a 50 mile run I don't keep it around.

things take much longer to decompose in the desert, so good idea not to leave your paper behind.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

the fluidlfex's might turn out to be camp shoes this go round :) not getting enough miles and want to go slow transitioning to a lower drop shoe

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools