Topic

Merino Long Sleeve Baselayer top

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Merino Long Sleeve Baselayer top

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Looking around for a new merino-based (doesn't have to be 100%, but I don't want the smell of synthetic, if such a blend exists). I've lost a bit of weight since my last purchase in this area, so my go to L/S base layer Terramar merino/silk is quite large and stretched out (especially the collar). I am not of fan of the form-fitted varieties and I have tried a few brands that I didn't like the feel of so much like Ibex. I like my IB Hopper T, but I find other IB stuff to be tighter fitting. All of the Smartwool tops seem too tight. I tried on a Kuhl medium that I found at a local outfitter on sale, but it was a spandex-like fit. I am open to suggestions….

Also, has anyone tried this one —

New Balance Merino Long Sleeve Base Layer T

http://www.newbalance.com/Merino-Wool-Base-Layer-Long-Sleeve-Tee/MIL810,default,pd.html

?? Looks like it was marketed for military use, but is available through the website. A 'proprietary merino/jersey blend' it says, but no mention of percentages of either in any material I could find.

TIA

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Locale: Boston, MA

base layers are supposed to be snug and close to the skin. if you want it larger, size up

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Thanks Dan, I was thinking that as a possible option. The Kuhl I tried on recently was only available onsite in a medium and an XXL so I couldn't see what a large would have felt like. I do tend to wear the base layer by itself at times while hiking and I don't like it to be too restrictive, so maybe I am looking for the semi-fitted area (versus athletic or fitted, or compression – yuck). My fear is that sleeve lengths tend to get longer as well as I size up – not a huge deal, but worth considering. Everything else I usually fit in a medium with no problem, but as you said this is the one closest to the skin. Just seeing if there are options in the experienced BPL community I should be considering.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Howdy, Dan –

When replying, can you keep the subject line please? This makes it easier for the rest of us when browsing the topics list.

You may already know, but just in case not, if you click the button (instead of the Post Reply button), the subject line of the post you are replying to will 'populate' automatically. Thanks.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

look at Patagonia Merino 1, mostly merino (65%) – it gives you the benefits of both merino and syn (the syn makes it more durable and slightly quicker to dry)

the fit is "slim", but not "athletic"- it's not clinging at all

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Locale: Boston, MA

Maybe something like this: http://www.smartwool.com/mens/l/sweaters.html
    which is advertised as a sweater instead of a baselayer, but is still relatively light and semi form fitting. I don't have any personal experience with it though

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

This is mine, its a relaxed fit, about 170g, so slightly thicker than the ultralight 150.

But I can wear it around town etc, I hate the feel of tight shirts.

http://www.backcountry.com/smartwool-crew-shirt-long-sleeve-mens

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Not to hijack…

How is the smell of Patty's merino 1?? I'm intrigued, looking for a good light long sleeve for JMT for everyday wear, but worried about the stink after 21 days. That's so un-ladylike…….

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I've got several other merino shirts (mostly Ibex) and the Merino 1 is no more (or less) smelly than those- so I'd say equivalent :)

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I bought 1 of the re-released Merino 1 Ts last year — it was full of holes after 4 days on the trail, but it still smelled fairly fresh…

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Appreciate the input —

@Michael
    W : that looks closer to what I am looking for and I can probably find one locally to make sure — thanks

@Jennifer
    : No worries about the TH, I was wondering the same about that Pata line

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

John- were these "re-released" ones different? obviously Patagonia will stand behind them, but that's disappointing- mine I've worn a full week w/ nary a nick

Mike

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Well, it looks like the long-sleeved T shirt varieties from Smartwool are in the 'elusive, not produced' category anymore (not even a T shirt area on their website), but they do appear to have the more relaxed fit I am desiring. Guess I will keep my eyes on Fleabay and the like for older stock closeouts — looks like there are a few out there now, but none exactly to my liking. Thanks for pointing out the general direction…

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I've found both the Smartwool Microweight Crew T-shirts and the Patagonia Merino 1 shirts to fit like a favorite t-shirt. A little bit of a slim cut but certainly not form fitting tight like some of the Ibex base layers.

I've had the same problem finding t-shirt like fitting merino baselayers but both of the above have worked well for me in XL (I'm 5'10", 210 lbs, athletic build with broad shoulders).

The merino blend Patagonia uses seems to be working out okay for me. It's very thin and light, seems to resist odor almost as well as pure merino, dries a bit faster and has had pretty good durability. It's pilling a bit along my lower back and where the shoulder straps of my pack ride, but otherwise is holding up well.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

@Mike – I believe Patagonia changed the fabric blend between the first release of the Merino 1 (2010?), and then the second release last year. I did return it, which is too bad, because it fit well. I'm thinking the fabric on the back of pack I used was more abrasive (Lowe Alpine Attack vs ULA Conduit). I ended up selling the one I bought in 2010, as I'm using Arcteryx Phase SL now…

Gary Yee

@lakemcd

Locale: NW Montana

Check out a company called Minus 33. I have purchased 3 of their heavy weight 1/4 zip shirts for my family and they hold up very well in durability and stink department. The last time I ordered, everything was 100% merino. No itch from these garments at a terrific price point. Search and you can get it even cheaper. FYI from my experience they tend to run a little big. I can without question give them 5 stars.

Cheers, Gary

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

@John- didn't know they changed the fabric, seems like some of these bigger companies make this mistake over and over- they have a great product, folks like it and then they change it- and for some reason it seems like it's often not for the better :(

At least they stand behind it and replace it, I should have bought a couple, three when I first got mine :)

David LaRue
    Spectator

@phaedrus

Locale: Chicagoland

I purchased both the top and bottom Woolrich Elite Tactical Base Layers a while back. I purchased an XL and it was too big for me. They are both 100% Merino wool, and they are a nice weight, and warm (I purchased the L and use them in cold weather). They are both in the original packaging, and have never been worn. XL top for 46-48 muscle fit, bottoms, 40-42 waist. The bottom line is that if you wear an xl now you will need an large.

If you think they will fit, let me know if you might be interested we can come to terms.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Wears well and does everything you expect from merino. Makes. Warm base layer and ha thumb hole to keep the hands warm solo it's not too warm, and it has a half-zipper so it vents well.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I get all my Merino on Steepandcheap – I refuse to pay the inflated prices everyone has and wait for S&C to have a good deal. I've bought several brands on S&C and here's my take by brand:

Stoic: Fit is very athletic (read: get a size bigger than you normally would) and the colors are kind of garish and the material is thin and rougher than the other brands. I haven't had any issues with it falling apart, but probably wouldn't buy Stoic again as I'm just not really impressed with their Merino shirts.

Smartwool: Excellent cut, nice soft material, good fit, but has a tendency to get holes in it. I'd buy it again, but this one requires more babying (handwashing, line drying, care when wearing) than any of the other brands I've tried.

Icebreaker: Athletic fit, excellent material. No complaints at all. Love Icebreaker, it's my favorite brand of them all.

Sport Science: My heaviest Merino sweater and hat come from Sport Science. It's not the most attractive (Olive drab green) but it wears like iron and is an excellent material. I would buy this brand again.

Luna: Very similar to Smartwool. Nice flattering cut, soft material but has a tendency to get holes. I'd buy it again, but you really have to baby it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools