Topic

Henry W. Coe as a first solo trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Henry W. Coe as a first solo trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matt Keenan
    Spectator

@mlkeenan

Locale: In the Mountains in the clouds

So me and my buddy were supposed to do a two nighter in the coes for this weekend but something came up and he can no longer go. The timing ,4 day weekend for me =), and the weather highs in the low 70's lows in the mid 40's are way to good for me to pass up. This would be my first time in the Coes, is it a good place for a 1st solo trip? It doesnt seem like it would very technical but as I said I ve never been so I dont know. Are the trails well marked? Any tips for the newbie soloists?

Background

I'm relatively new to backpacking(and life for that matter at 19)went on my first trip when I was 16 had a really bad experience with it(altitude sickness) but fell in love with it and have been going as often as I can ever since . Did twelve trips last year doing around 200 miles total, leading a few following in most. I work as a life guard in the summer so I do have some formal first aid training. My current base weight is around 12 pounds Thank you for your time.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Henry Coe is a perfect place for a first solo trip. There is nothing too difficult or hardcore about it. I have heard about it getting pretty cold there at times.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You're ready. Watch for ticks. Maps available at the visitor center. Signage is pretty good out there. Have fun!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

If you can fine the area and get a permit, it is a piece of cake. No need to ask. I came down from the mountains having to find my way by Mapquest directions and had no issues getting there. Coming back, well that was something different.:)
    Duane

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

Howdy,

I'm heading out to Henry Coe tomorrow.

I hope you have a fun time.

We might see each other.

-Frank

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I went in December and it rained the whole time, miserable. However the weather this weekend looks great and its still early in the season, so there should be very few people. The trails are pretty easy, the fire roads are another story. All are well marked in accordance with the map that can be bought at the headquarters (if its open), however I picked up a map at the local REI in San Jose. Please don't take this as discouragement, but I've usually found the low temps in actuality to be much lower than forecasted.

I'm going out this weekend for a night or two and plan on seeing Pacheco falls and Grizzly Gulch falls. Henry Coe is great and so close! Maybe I'll see you there.

Matt Keenan
    Spectator

@mlkeenan

Locale: In the Mountains in the clouds

Awesome thanks for the words of encouragement and tips I was pretty stocked about going solo, but I woke up to a text form my buddy telling me he might be able to make it so who knows how I'll be traveling for this one, either way should be a great time. Frank, James I hope to see you guys out there, Ill be the guy talking to himself(speech for public speaking class on tuesday)and wearing an orange north face backpack.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I was there a month ago. Watch for ticks! I had one pretty deep in my hip. twas pretty cold out there then. Prob down in the low 20's but it looks like the weather should be pretty good this weekend.
    Some of the trails are pretty poorly marked and not maintained/used at all so you just have to go with your gut and check the map often.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

In case no one has mentioned, watch out for ticks… My buddy is a magnet, we make him walk ahead of us to collect them, then I dig them out at camp ;)

I've only been there once but it was a nice trip. It's so close to me, funny I haven't made it there more often. If you end up solo, you should be fine, but if your buddy makes it, the more the merrier I always say.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools