Topic

Bpl meet in the Adirondacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bpl meet in the Adirondacks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

What sort of mileage is everyone up for?

Depending on what parts of the ADKs we do, they can be rather challenging.

Wanted to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

It will really depend on how hot it is Brice and the trial conditions ,I have never hiked in the area so don't have a clue.

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

I'll be in the ADKs from August 14th to the 18th doing much of the Northville Placid Trail. My plan is to be out and about in the High Peaks area towards the end of that trip. I'll keep an eye on this thread and if you are in the area, perhaps we could meet up.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

"I'll be in the ADKs from August 14th to the 18th doing much of the Northville Placid Trail."
    Good Duty! Which section? I was scheduled to do that trail again this year around the middle of August, too.

OK, I have a tentative OK from the boss for a july trip on the Long Trail. Probably 3 or 4 weeks. Then I was supposed to do the the NPT, after spending a couple weeks with her. My brother in law does this every year with the Boy Scouts…I usually do the whole thing, though. Last year, there were a large number of blow downs in the High Peaks section. I met a gentleman from Vermont at Lake Durrant (Blue Mountain.) We shared shelters till Lake Placid. My pick up was a day later than his. He was considerably heavier and would leave about 0800 or so. I would clean up around the shelter burn trash, cut some firewood, then follow about 1000 or so. We often crossed about 1600 or therebouts, getting about 12-15 mi/day. Easy going, since I had a week to kill between Blue Mountain and Lake Placid, I took a zero at the last lean-to and did some day hiking and swimming. It's a nice, civilized trail.

Later in August I will be doing some family camping with my daughters, one is pregnant again. I believe this is the central area at Limekiln. I was planning another trip from there to the Bog River/Low's Lake/Oswagatchie River. My wife would pick me up at the old Inlet boat launch on the Oswagatchie River. Then back to the High Peaks in mid-september to bag a few more peaks, just before the snows. More paddling around the Moose River Plains/Cedar River area in October.

All plans are tentative.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Stephen, Milage can varry a lot. The Cranberry Lake 50 can be done in two days fairly easily. That is around 25mi per day. Even in july/august it is possible to do that. On some of the High Peaks trails, 6-7 miles in a 12 hour day is doing pretty good…even in september. Steep, difficult climbs (not quite requiring technical gear and knowledge) tend to slow you down, even on a "good" (often the only) trail.

Most hiking trails are a bit wilder than other states or national parks. The Adirondak park is HUGE. Simple trail maintainence people are in short supply. The High Peaks has volunteer groups and are kept as well as any. The rest are in nowhere near as good condition. Many trails get used less than 50 times per year. It doesn't make sense to try to keep them all cleared every year. They are often on a bi-yearly schedule, or, on demand, if a problem is properly entered on the log book at the trail head. It may still wait for a couple weeks, even on a good year.

Some trails still show some damage from Irene, three years ago. Last year was not as bad, but there were still some blow downs and wash outs. Many, will be weed choked and difficult to find/follow in summer months. No one bothers to chop weeds.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

James,

Thansk for all the info.

As it my first trip I would be looking to take an easy route :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Folks,

Anyone still in for this?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

I'm still OK, pending scheduling conflicts. I'll drop a line to the wife and find out when we were supposed to go with my daughters.

Any idea where?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

No idea where at all yet James, as I am driving from Mid Michigan it he furthest west decent area would suit me.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

The 15th through the 19th I will be at Limekiln with my daughters and family. My nephew will be driving up with his family (from Arizona) and his parents & sisters family will also be there (from Malone in the St. Lawrence Valley.) Soo, I will not be able to make it on the 16th-18th. Sorry…

Coming in from Michigan, you have two choices. One is up through Canada then down into the Northern ADK's. I am not real familiar with this route since I have only made that trip twice many years ago. The other way (from southern Michigan) is straight over rt 90. Turn onto rt 12 North at Utica. This will turn into rt 28 then just follow that into the ADK's. The other western routes are longer, generally speaking, since you need to cut north then east on two lane, secondary roads, mostly.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That's cool James, if the dates change you might be able to make it.

I am thinking the southern route may be better as I will be traveling on a Irish passport and the last time I went to Canada it took me an hour to get back in to the US.

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

I can't commit to being a part of this trip due to a wildly changing schedule. If you could just keep me in the loop, though, I can certainly try to join in.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Steve,

It would be great if you could make it.

Why dont you put the thread on your watch list for updates.

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

…and done.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Great :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

any other takers?

I am trying to get a buddy to come so we can share the driving (its 10 hours)

Sean Craig
    BPL Member

@stcraighotmail-com

Locale: Western NY

Although my schedule is fairly flexible, the beginning of August is filling up quickly. Has there been a date set? End of August or beginning of September look best for me.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I thought we had a date set but some folk have not got back to me, I can do August but in September I am booked most out weekends with other with other trips.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I will make it up depending on the weekend. Mid August is already booked up. I am going up there next week for the first time.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Stephen,
    A slight change in plans frees up that weekend. We will be headed out August 2nd through the 5th instead. So, I can still make it the 18th.

Say where, though. Western ADK's is much flatter than the eastern portions. I would suggest Brown Tract Ponds, Limekiln, Eighth Lake or Cranberry Lake campgrounds. These are in the southwestern portion of the ADK's.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Malto, looking at 1516 – 18th August

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

James,

Thats good your free. I will check out those lcoations.

All,

Just oen thing to note.

As this is a 10-11 hour drive for me I am only going to go if my buddy will split the driving with me as otherwise I will need to take too much time off work. I had a chat with wim on Saturday and he reckons he will come along, I will contact him to confirm.

Flying is out of the question due to the cost and having to rent a car
    (it still takes 8-9 hours)

Sean Craig
    BPL Member

@stcraighotmail-com

Locale: Western NY

I can't commit to those dates but will make it if…the schedule allows. :) Glad we have a date set.

Stephen, stay in touch about your buddy and plans. I will make sure to do the same.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Sean,

Will definitely keep in touch, I emailed him today to put pressure on him as need to commit to a trip to Colorado also.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Folks,

My buddy cannot go and its too far a drive for me to do it in one go by my myself so going to have to cancel.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools