Topic

los padres NF gene marshall/piedra blanca trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips los padres NF gene marshall/piedra blanca trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    kevin smith

@divr6347

planning to hit the los padres gene marshall /piedra blanca trail from the reyes creek side and hike thru the whole trail which will end at the sespe river trail at rose valley road

going to shoot for april 27 28 29 th saturday thru monday

the plan so far will be to hike from the trailhead at camp shiedeck to beartrap camp on day one then beartrap to three mile camp or possibly pine mopuntain lodge camp if everyone is up for it

come on out and join the fun with some fellow bpl ers for a fun trip

should be a great trip thanks to nick b (nico) for the awesome map !!

we tried to do this trip last year and on the weekend we were going to go we had a big storm which closed lockwood valley road so we could not access the trailhead
    this year we are shooting for a later date so hopefully it won t happen again

all are welcome to come along please post up if you are interrested or have any questions

kevin

Kyle McMahon

@kcamcmahon

Locale: I live in Bakersfield Ca

Im In Kevin. Iv got the days off and excited to go

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I'm in also.

kevin smith

@divr6347

sunday bump

anyone else wanna join in the fun ??

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Interested…I've only been to Willett. This might be a good idea for me to get familiar with the trail.

Would it be possible to get more details on the daily mileages, etc.?

Thanks!

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Not sure yet if I can make this trip; will have to check in again as the date approaches. It's actually at a good time in my training routine (for an upcoming race in May) that I may get a friend or two together and just run the entire length as a day run and plan to run into you guys at some point on the trail to say hi.

Anyway, to answer questions about the trail, it's about 18 miles from end to end.

Figure on day 1 being about 5 miles to Beartrap Camp. Some gentle climbs on the way there but pretty mellow overall. Camp near Beartrap Creek.

Day 2 to 3 mile camp is probably 6 miles; steady uphill for the first three or so miles climbing up Beartrap Creek and then you reach the saddle as you approach Haddock Camp and things sorta' level out. From Haddock Camp onward you'll be hiking along Pidera Blanca Creek; probably not much water in the creek until you get closer to 3 Mile camp.

Pine Mountain Lodge camp is another 2 miles or so past and has a small but reliable spring nearby. Some minor ups and downs along the way.

From Pine Mountain Lodge to the Piedras Blancas TH is about 5 miles or so, mostly downhill or flat. Lots of water available as you get closer to Twin Forks Camp.

For elevation, figure you start at Camp Sheideck at around 3800', top out just around 6200' and then finish at 3200'.

Lots of cool rock formations to explore all along the entire trail including some interesting archaeological sites if you know where to look.

Here's a link to the trail map on Gmap4: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=34.66199,-119.281031&t=t4&z=14&hillshade=18&coord=latlng&directions=off&label=off&layers=off&streetview=on

kevin smith

@divr6347

hi magnus

looks like we will probably hike about 6-7 miles a day

im thinking if we can make it to beartrap camp by early afternoon we can decide if we want to keep going from there but tenativly the plan was to hike to beartrap on day one then head to three mile or possibly pine mountain lodge camp on day 2
    about 6-8 miles depending on where we end up then hike the rest of the way out on day three i too have never done this trail i have only been as far as oak flat on the sespe river trail but never been to willet

i think this will be a good hike to check out the northern ish side of the los padres we will see i have heard the terrain out there varies quite a bit so we will just have to see how everyone feels when we arrive in camp and decide if we want to continue hiking or start fresh in the morning either way it will be a great time

shoot me a pm if you need more details or have any questions should be a great trip

kevin

kevin smith

@divr6347

thanks for the info nick

i was going to pm you but haven t had time to get to it yet

sounds like water is availible at most camps so thats good news

ill check in with you as the trip gets closer and see if you are up for it

kevin

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Thanks Nick/Kevin for the info. I was just trying to figure out mileages for my water consumption plan. This trip is right up my alley. Ill keep an eye on this thread if anything changes but i should be able to make it.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I won't know for sure until we get a bit closer but I think I'll try and get out there for one night of this, likely Saturday, then turn back. It would be good to see some of you again.

kevin smith

@divr6347

hey craig

yea definatly come on out it will be good to see you again

and if you decide to bring that goofball sidekick of yours (adan lopez)

well i guess that would be fine too he he just kidding adan if you happen to read this

anyway if you can swing it head on out all are welcome to join the fun

kevin

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I have no idea if I will be able to make it or not, but If I can I would love to join you guys. I haven't been to the southern district of los padres yet. I have a friend who I would ask to come along as well.

What kind of temperatures could you expect at night? Probably really warm?

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

Sounds great, I'd like to stretch my legs and get out

kevin smith

@divr6347

looks like the trip is shaping up to be a good one

as to the weather its too far out to tell but im guessing that time of year will be warm days and pleasant nights will have to check the forecast as we get closer to the date

all are welcome bpl ers and friends as well as newcommers so come on out for a quick overnighter or hike the whole trail with us and enjoy some great central cal scenery

kevin

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Kevin forgot to mention that there will need to be car shuttles from one trail head to the other, so we will need to figure out the car statous.

Anthony,

I hope you make it out, would really like to meet you after seeing so many of your post.

@ Craig/Adan you know you wana go!, as for everybody else, it will be good to see old friends and meet some new ones, this shouild be a great trip.

Jack

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

thanks for the welcome, let's talk as this gets closer.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Yes! I had a good time last time we did this. I hope I can go. Thanks Kevin and Mangus for the heads up! Wisner probably wasnt even going to mention it until the night before when he would say something like "hey, how about instead of going to bed right now, you come to my house and we run 56 miles to a BPL meetup in Los Padres?".

kevin smith

@divr6347

4 weeks out

looking foward to getting out there with others from the ca bpl family

all are welcome first timers or repeat offenders lol come on out and have a great weekend hiking in the los padres just don t camp to close to jack if you want any sleep at night (ask me how i know lol )

kevin

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

I'm out, I re-injured myself.
    Enjoy your trek.
    Anthony

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Still keeping an eye on this but due to recent events, I may not be able to join you guys. Wife got into a car wreck and all backpacking expenses are put on hold :(

kevin smith

@divr6347

weekend bump

two weeks away guys if you are interrested shout out should be good weather and

lots of fun espically if you sleep close to jacks tarp :)

kevin

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I still have this on my radar and plan on coming out for Saturday night and leaving Sunday morning, likely with my son. I still have to check back with Adan and see if he's coming too.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Graig,

If you guys make it out I'll bring some really, really nice cupcakes from our local bakery, just a little temptation for ya! What flavor do you like? or should I ask, are you allergic to any thing? Maybe I should just suprise you with one of their many flavors, like Lemon with White Chocolate which was featured in the Oprah magazine, this thing melts in your mouth. I may have to bring some for everybody now, LOL. I can, just need to know how many are coming and who wants one.

Jack

kevin smith

@divr6347

i dont need any temptation jack i just need you to bring three cupcakes just for me

i need one for each day of the trip in all different flavors i will be able to hike 15 miles a day with the sugar rush from those things but they sure are yummy

kevin

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

If this is still going on and I can escape from work, I'll be there for Saturday and Sunday. I was just up in the Sespe Wilderness two weekends ago and it was beautiful. Warm and pretty windy. Where do you guys plan on meeting Saturday morning?

Erik

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools