Topic

Dri Down, Does it work?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dri Down, Does it work?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Zachary SCOTT

@zach

So I recently saw a video on Sierra Designs Dri Down. Anybody have nay experience with the stuff? Seems like a cool concept but I am just wondering how resistent the clusters are to sweat and other moisture.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

My question is, what happens to the "Dri" treatment after the item has been washed three or four times? Unless extensive tests have been done, it's going to be a number of years down the road (pun unintentional) before we know about this factor!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Good question.

PRO> Down garments are usually not washed often, esp. down bags.

CON> DWR traditionally does not last long with repeated washings.

Sooo… are these Dri Down and Down Tech treatments longer lasting due either to their chemistry or deposition method, or both?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Richard N. did some testing and has some insight here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72030&startat=20

Summary: sounds like most of the DWR downs offer a pretty modest improvement, but Patagonia's Encapsil treatment is legit.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Mary,

The treatment isn't a spray. it's a polymer that molecularly bonds to the surface. Washing should have little effect, but abrasion (feathers scraping on one another) might over time.

Contrary to popular belief, the feathers are NOT treated with DWR, or anything similar in quality to it.

I asked this question about five days ago. Apparently the verdict is still mostly out.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I gave up trying to talk about this subject because people get the different types of down mixed up. The actual DriDown: http://www.dridown.com/
    and Downtek: http://www.down-tek.com is a nano-tech application and are different from what Zpacks and other small companies are using from Allied which is a DWR treatment.

I've seen the "real" stuff in action and am quite impressed but I know nothing about what you are asking. There is not enough out yet so your digging and watching for info will be just as fast as anybody else's at this point.

I know BGT is supposed to get some gear this spring that is using it and they will be put to 4-month tests so at least some real-world long-term use will be taking place, we just need to wait for it.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

On this subject, I read online that the company Aeon Clad, which is the maker of Patagonia's Encapsil down, uses a "plasma" process, and can result in "1000 fill power" hydrophobic down.

I noticed that the recently announced ultra-lite 5.2 oz jacket by MontBell just happens to have "1000 fill power" down, and just happens to be called the "Plasma".
    I'm thinking they might be using this Aeon Clad technologies with those kinds of "coincidences".

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Tom,

This was talked about on another thread last week, I am sure if Montbell was using Dwr down they would be shouting it from the roof tops.

Hi all,

Anyway back on track, I received a gift of a Brooks Range Mojave Jacket last week which I will be testing out, I am slightly underwhelmed by the loft compared to another down Parka I have with the same amount of down (800 vs 900fp though).

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Patagonia Encapsil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIaWk0b8Jro

I'd wait myself–looks like the technology is not there yet and the lifespan of the down (loft) is likely less than regular down.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

define "work"

what is the expectation?

Is it slightly more difficult to wet out, yes.

Will it not get wet at all, no.

Does the treatment wash off in about 10 washings? Thats what Ive heard.

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

David Ure

@familyguy

"I gave up trying to talk about this subject because people get the different types of down mixed up. The actual DriDown: http://www.dridown.com/
    and Downtek: http://www.down-tek.com is a nano-tech application and are different from what Zpacks and other small companies are using from Allied which is a DWR treatment."

Not currently. Allied Hyperdry IS a nano application now.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

To me, the biggest question mark that still remains is whether the treated down is as durable a non-treated (i.e. regular down). Since well cared for non-treated down normally lasts for decades (which is one of its greatest assets), we won't really know a definitive answer to this question for many years.

It's basically a guessing game at this point as far as I can tell. Anyone who has tried to convince me otherwise seems to be selling the stuff and is therefore highly biased.

Down is naturally hydrophobic to begin with (remember, it comes from water fowl), so the treated down technology seems like a fairly marginal advantage to me in practice.

We also don't know how the treated down handles washing versus regular down.

I'm trying to remain open minded about treated down, but my gut impression so far is that its mostly an up-selling strategy by gear and apparel companies to try and get you to spend even more money on (already expensive) down products.

Until proven otherwise, I'm not biting. I've never had a problem with down getting wet in the first place (I prefer to only use it for sleeping bags), so this treated down is a solution in search of a problem for me personally, but YMMV.

David Ure

@familyguy

I'm most concerned with longer term reliability. Will the down still loft after 5 years of use or does the treatment negatively affect the longevity of the down (as you pointed out). The cost is pretty reasonable, however. Maybe $20 additional for a sleeping bag.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> can result in "1000 fill power" hydrophobic down.

Why do I immediately think 'marketing creep'?

Can I predict that in 5 years time we will see claims of 2000 fill down?

Which is why we now use the EN standard for actually measuring sleeping bag warmth – and American bag mfrs are now known to be over-estimationg their gear by up to 15 C. Yes, that has been measured. Ditto some American pack mfrs with their claimed pack volumes which are way over what we have measured.

Cheers

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

"Down is naturally hydrophobic to begin with (remember, it comes from water fowl)"

Right. So how is it that geese and ducks don't have the same issues with damp down as sleeping bags and quilts?

Because of the outer feathers? Because when still attached to their bodies they can fluff em out?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> how is it that geese and ducks don't have the same issues with damp down as sleeping
    > bags and quilts?
    > Because of the outer feathers? Because when still attached to their bodies they can
    > fluff em out?
    They spend a lot of time preening: cleaning all their feathers and re-oiling them.
    They have a hot body inside all the time drying the down out.
    They fluff them out every day to dry them.
    They have outer feathers which act as a waterproof but breathable layer.
    They renew their feathers and down every year.
    They (ducks anyhow) don't live as long as a down bag.

Cheers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools