Topic

Help! Mom is coming west.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Help! Mom is coming west.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Mom wants to see me. Need a nice , Marriot or better hotel not too far from Oakland airport. Suggestions? Thanks. It's been 5+ years since I have seen her. I don't want to hear about a bad choice for the next five. Help.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

There's the Waterfront Hotel in Jack London Square. Its a nice — right on the water (Oakland Estuary), has nice views and sounds (seagulls, sailboats, …), and there's plenty of shops and restaurants right there. Its a few miles from the airport, an easy cab ride, but anything closer to the airport will be kind of dreary and isolated. (Nearby Jack London Inn is not as nice.)

If you need any other Oakland rec's let me know.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

… but anything closer to the airport will be kind of dreary and isolated.

I'll use the Oakland Airport Hilton when catching a connection at Oakland Intl. (prefer SF Union Sq. but that's out of the way). They have a shuttle but also paid parking. The hotel is a pretty good 2 story with patios overlooking a large greenspace between buildings … but it's not sleek. Same with many hotels from San Jose/Oak/Berkeley, .. they kind of try a Bay area "Victorian" look but the Oak Hilton is the only one to pull it off IMO. Here I am, hotel critic but I spent a lot of time traveling for work 4-6 years back, then being tied to a recharging govt Blackberry on "vacation", so just my observation. As you go towards Oakland Coliseum, the neighborhood gets rougher.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools