Topic

JMT list…let’s talk VOLUME

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT list…let’s talk VOLUME

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I am with you, I don't see how some folks can get so much gear into a Newt, Burn, Murmur, or smaller Zero. I have a down bag, a fairly minimal kit, and carry about 1.5 lbs of food a day and I still struggle. I had an older model of the GG Murmur and gave up and sold it. Perhaps volume will be the next new frontier for me. I am thinking about ordering a pack from Hogwarts Uberlite Gear, perhaps the House Elf X-Lite in cuben, with an undetectable extension charm.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I am with you, I don't see how some folks can get so much gear into a Newt, Burn, Murmur, or smaller Zero."

One big factor is a bear canister. When I take any, it seems to double my apparent food volume, obviously less at the start of a trip and more at the end of a trip.

I have an old Murmur and an old Whisper, and they get tough to load up.

–B.G.–

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Have you found that you typically need to use the syringe much?

Just a thought, but… On the JMT I personally wouldn't take the syringe. Won't you typically be filtering nice clear water without a lot of sediment on the JMT? Plus in a pinch you could drink unfiltered water, since many folks don't bother to treat water at all on the JMT.

I have debated whether I want to even take a filter. The Squeeze is light enough that I probably will take it on the JMT this summer, but it isn't a slam dunk. For sure I will be leaving the syringe home.

FWIW, A lot of water, some of it with quite a bit of sediment, has gone through my Sawyer Squeeze and the syringe is still in the original package unused. I have never noticed any signs of clogging and have only back flushed it as a preventative measure when home from trips, by holding it against a water spigot.

The Squeeze definitely seems to need cleaning a lot less than my MSR Sweetwater ever did. With the Sweetwater in some locations I would have to clean it, pump some, clean again, and pump some more.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

FWIW, I find that I save a lot of volume by very tightly stuffing clothing and other compressible stuff in tiny sil-nylon stuff sacks.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

"yeah, I was at first a bit worried about being able to fit 9-10 ish days of food in the weekender"

You could also get a custom Bearikade and match or go a little bigger than the BearValt BV500… I think if you match the volume, you still save close to 9oz.

Not a scientific study, but I always thought about the south bound trip as having a drawback of your body already burning through a lot of the easy stored energy right before the more isolated section, where actually fueling yourself with calories becomes more critical. So, it becomes really important not to succumb to the altitude induced diet and end up eating like a sparrow for the first 100 miles or so.

I'm going to try SOBO this year with my girlfriend with no resupply between MTR and Whitney using two weekenders for likely 8-9 days. The plan we are going with, (besides stuffing ourselves on the first half) is to do the second section with a lot of dense tightly packed food and then gauge our food supply at Bullfrog Lake. If we are too low, and can't beg/buy surplus food from backpackers on shorter trips… we'll just head out to independence and go grocery shopping.

Look for us on the trail, if my girlfriend lets me, I'll have a small sign on my hat that says "I will buy your extra food".

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools