Topic

Mesh chest pouch/pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mesh chest pouch/pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nelson Sherry

@nsherry61

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley

Okay, I've failed to find exactly what I'm looking for, so I'll try and describe it here and see if anyone has any ideas before I spend a bunch of time trying to design and build one myself. It seems so simple and useful, I'm surprised I haven't found zillions of them for sale, maybe even for secret document storage while traveling abroad.

I want an ultra simple, ultra-light mesh envelope/pouch to carry on my chest. Something similar to the OMM Chest Pouch, but all mesh for breathability and light weight.

I want a simple, flat envelope to hang on either my person, or my pack harness, to put maps and small misc. during the summer for super convenient and rapid on-trail access.

I also want a slightly larger version to hold snacks, a water bottle and a fuel canister inside my outer clothing layer for winter hiking with things I don't want frozen. I currently carry a small nap-sack backwards, but it doesn't breath as well as I'd like, and the harness would probably work better if it were tuned for front carrying.

Any ideas on who might make one? Any links? Any plans available for MYOG?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

This is just a random idea, but what about seeing if Zpacks would make you a version of their multipack out of bugnetting material?

Zpacks Multipack

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Something like these?

Vargo store

(amazon link)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Not all mesh but I really like how this pouch was modified for fishing; I'd like to pick one up before spring.

Take a look:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwU3ZIC04po

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

What you're describing, OP, is the internal mesh sack that came with my ULA Catalyst

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

I'm sure Zpacks, ULA, or Zimmerbuilt could supply something. If you need something off-the-shelf, these might be made to work:

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-sac-medium/d/1098_c_213

They come in 4 sizes, and they're on Amazon for $7.50:

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Travel-Pack-It-Pacific/dp/B002YIRD42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360625647&sr=8-1&keywords=Eagle+Creek+Travel+Gear+Pack-It+Sac

They have a couple of loops up top…quick work with some cord should do it.

1-3oz.

-Mark in St. Louis

Avery S
    BPL Member

@aveman

I forget where I read this, but there was a trip report of a winter adventure race where they used reversible sports pennies like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dozen-Mesh-Reversible-Scrimmage-Vests-Youth/dp/B002EBBU4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360626809&sr=8-1&keywords=reversible+mesh+vest

There are two layers of mesh, so it was pretty easy to cut/sew to make pockets in the desired places. They ended up with something to wear under all layers, supported by fabric that didn't interfere with pack straps or hip belt. Pockets were placed between hip belt and sternum strap. They kept snacks/gloves/fuel/water inside.

The pockets on my Rab Alpine Pull-on are mesh and at the right height to function essentially the same way. I like it, but a little more space might be nice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools