Topic

Precharged NiMH Battery Charging Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Precharged NiMH Battery Charging Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I want to put together a rechargeable battery kit to power all my electronic devices like, headlamps, small flashlights, small radios, gps units, etc. I want this kit to be a quality product, which means, the only thing i will need to replace are the rechargeable batteries overtime.

I require the followng capabilities in the system:

+ 2000+ maH Precharged NiMH batteries
    + AA, AAA charging capabilities
    + Smart off capability(it knows when the battery is full and stops charging it)
    + lightweight
    + durable, proven and tested technology
    + solar & plug in charging capability
    + ability to chage 3-5 batteries at once

From what i can tell, there are two ways to go about this:

1. A unit that offers both solar and plug in charging capabilities.

2. Two units, one for when i need solar, and one for when i am somwhere i can plug in and use the wall socket.

I believe in paying more and buying things once, instead of replacing new chargers every two years. Please recommend solid products and keep it light!

Also as an added bonus, an item that had car/crank charging capability would be cool too, but not required.
    Isaac

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN
    Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

Check out Sanyo Eneloop at amazon.com. Non solar but highly regarded newest technology in rechargeables.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Isaac,

All my devices (headlamp, GPS, SteriPen, camera) use AA batteries. This set works for me now for many years here on the West Coast. I'm using my GPS mainly to document my hikes and have a track for later download. That requires a fresh set of AA batteries every day. The longest I have done that was 5 weekswith out any issues.

So here is my setup

Batteries: Eneloop

Solar Charger: PowerFilm USB + AA Solar Panel Charger which weighs less than 5 oz.
    I also use the PowerFilm AA Battery Solar Panel Charger
    which charges 4 AA (instead of 2) when I don't need USB charging capabilities. It has 6 panels (instead of 4) and weighs even slightly less.

Right now I'm planning a trip where I can't rely 100% on the sun. Therefore I got the Goal Zero Battery Pack . It allows me to charge AA (and AAA) batteries via USB from my solar charger or from outlets. Goal Zero has all sorts of accessories (including solar chargers), but I have no experience with those. They look sturdier (and heavier) than what I have.

Best Regards,

Manfred

David Lang

@idahobackpacker

Locale: Northwest U.S.

I just picked up a Goal Zero solar charger with battery pack as well at REI. It was on sale for $73.93, down from $129. It seems well made. The panel is smaller to fit on top of my pack, and charges the battery pack in 6-8 hours of sunlight.

The kit was the Goal 10 mobile plus. It comes with the Nomad 3.5 solar panel, cords, battery pack, and 4 NiMH AA batteries. The stock NiMH batteries are rated at 2000maH.

I will see how these batteries work out, but I may upgrade them to higher capacity batteries.

REI doesn't have the smaller kit listed anymore, but here is a link to the kit with the larger Nomad 7 solar panel. It charges the battery pack in 4 hours.

http://www.rei.com/product/827121/goal-zero-guide-10-plus-adventure-kit-solar-charger

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools