Topic

Southern California “Winter”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Southern California “Winter”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

To think Adan and I were trail running in the snow yesterday morning only to be surfing and camping with our families here last night…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The snow doesn't exist unless you have documentation!

We have a lot of snow above us right now in San Jacinto. But I didn't take any pictures either.

It is cool that we can ski or snowshoe in the morning and surf in the afternoon.

:)

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

"Winter" in southern CA is my favorite time of year.

It's always a nice treat when the coast ranges get a dusting of snow a few times each year. Here's a couple shots from the mountains behind Ojai in Ventura County from earlier this winter. Surf and snow in the same day…

Anacapa and Santa Cruz Island are visible on the horizon.

The ridgeline on the far horizon is the Santa Monica Mountains; just off to the right is the beaches of Oxnard/Pt Mugu area.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I finally took advantage of the fourth season in Southern California.

Snow camping on San Jacinto last week.

san j

Although it rained all night we were above the clouds in the morning.

wellman divide

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Roger,

From the tram microspikes were fine on the trail up to Round Valley. From 9,100 feet+ the snow was knee high and snow shoes were best. After the most recent storm the cross country routes to the top via Sid Davis/Tamarack look like fun. Crampons would be a must if going up the mountaineers route via Snow Creek but I don't have experience with that route.

I usually check these sites for info on current conditions:

San Jacinto Forum

Long Valley Cam

NOAA Weather Forecast

Have fun!

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

Just climbed Baldy via the Ski Hut trail to Baldy Bowl, good layer of snow on the ascent passed the Ski Hut. Not too icy, though Microspikes were nice. So far that's my only experience this Winter in Southern California! Baldy 1Summittopsummit

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Cool Justin, I was planning on climbing Baldy this weekend.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Craig – for a family man you certainly manage a lot of outdoor time.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"Craig – for a family man you certainly manage a lot of outdoor time."

I don't golf, watch TV, watch sports, and I don't do happy hour with the co-workers.

I figure that alone frees up about 7 hours per day vs. the average American male, right?

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

I'm with Craig on this one. While its personal preference how many hobbies you have, it's prudent to limit your interests and choose your hobbies wisely. Allows me to have a lot of family time and build" relationship equity" (a term coined on BPL?) with my wife, allowing me to go out more.

Plus, why would you go to happy hour with coworkers when you can buy a barrel aged imperial stout for cheaper, and drink in peace and quiet while reading a book or, perusing BPL…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools