Topic

Big Agnes Scout 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Agnes Scout 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I like that green tent at the top of this page! When I see that, it takes me back to my first "upgraded tent" which was a Eureka that used a single pole at the foot end, but a *pair* at the front to create an A-frame entry. Pre-dating the Timberline by just a bit, this was pretty awesome stuff because you could ingress/egress without knocking the dang tent over! The rear pole was tensioned just like the one above in this thread.

Now, take that green tent or the Scout, have it use a set of trekking poles for the front and simply provide a rear pole… might just be the ticket.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

"And this is the best they could come up with? Reminds me of my terrible first pup tent. All the bad design elements are still here."

Please list here, the other quality 2P tents that weigh under 2lbs, dont require seam sealing, cost under $300.

If it was easy, the market would be filled with them. It obviously poses a few challenges.

My guess, they had a target market in mind. Possibly scouts (!).

I dont think there is a market for it at $279. Too much IMO.
    The golite imogene 2, at $250 would be much better selection for most.
    I think there would be a market at ~$200 tops.

David Ure

@familyguy

I hate that I actually like the look of it. The only thing I really wish it had was more front overhang.

With respect to the Imogene. I think that once the reviews come out from users we are going to find that it doesn't fit anyone over 5'9".

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Besides a beak, a full mesh front door, a large back mesh wondow and a way to deal with the inevitable condinsation would be nice this thing really has very little ventilation and NO view

David Ure

@familyguy

I thought it had midpoint mesh vents the length of the shelter?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Please list here, the other quality 2P tents that weigh under 2lbs, dont require seam sealing, cost under $300."

Why? Is that really the discussion here? I'd like to buy a new car for 5k doesn't mean you can.

It is a poor design. Period.

David Ure

@familyguy

I think it is a good design that was only 80% complete. Add a mesh door and proper vestibule and it would work fine.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"I think it is a good design that was only 80% complete. Add a mesh door and proper vestibule and it would work fine."

I agree,but would like to see the rear pole outside.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes, that is what bugged me about my Golite SL2

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

It does have mesh vents the length of the tent and accross the back but they are pretty narrow and it has less sq ft of mesh than anything I've ever owned. Think of being in this thing on a hot buggy night with two people or a calm humid night after a rain and the temp drops down by freezing, one of those nights when all tents and tarps condensate, all that water is gonna be on the floor. I doubt that backpacker put much time in testing this or they got very lucky on weather conditions. The design has potential but improvements would add weight. Ventilation would be easy to improve by adding a beak and a all mesh or partial mesh front door. I like the way a hexamid or my wild oasis or my old TT rain shadow handled condensation, if it ran down the wall it simply runs out the mesh floor or border mesh between the floor and wall but not the scout. I have not used a scout I just went over and checked out the one Doug ordered in, I wanted to like it…it reminded me of my first BSA summer camp. I will admit I might be wrong on all of this

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

> I think it is a good design that was only 80% complete

It's an old adage but it's the last 20% that takes (or should take) 80% of the time. For me it's often more like 90/10 (or 10/90 depending on your perspective).

-H

David Ure

@familyguy

"all that water is gonna be on the floor"

Not sure about that. I have been in a Nemo Meta 2p where we had condensation but it rolled out the mesh vents which are located mid level up the sides. I have also had condensation on the floor of every tarp tent type shelter I have used at some point. But it is minimal and a pack towel wipes it up nicely.

Perhaps we should await real reviews. I would think that BA actually tests their shelters prior to spending a significant cash investment prior to bringing it to market.

David Ure

@familyguy

Jeremy Yarbrough
    BPL Member

@jeremyyarbrough

I recently spent several nights in my new Big Agnes Scout 2 in Colorado with cool temperatures. In the mornings, the tent was soaked on the inside with condensation. One night i slept with the door open with the same results. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what have you done about it?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Just wondering does the condensation run out the vents at all or run down on the floor? I think the best way to keep the condensation down would be to not sleep in it :^) It really does lack ventilation.

Steve H
    Spectator

@sixstringsteve

Locale: Southwest

Check out the new scout II PLUS. It does everything you asked for. It looks like it has some more ventilation at the rear door too, and the interior pole isn't in the middle of the tent anymore. I just pulled the trigger on one, we'll see how it does.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/scoutplusul2

It's essentially the same weight as a LightHeart SoLong 6.

Someone posted a set-up video on youtube:

YouTube video

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Does look like they heard all the comments of the first UL2. Might be a winner

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

I have to say, after watching the setup video, I'm less enthralled than ever with this tent. My biggest complaint is that it took him 12 stakes to get the thing pitched. 12! doesn't that seem a bit much for any tent, let alone a small 2-man trekking pole tent. In an area where the ground is soft and free of rocks and tree roots that might be ok, but that eliminates everywhere I hike and a good many other parts of the country too. Also, I hadn't noticed how much the front pole blocks the door before. Contorting yourself down to fit under the vestibule/rain fly is one think, this tent requires the owner now to bend over vertically while slithering around a pole in the middle of the door.

I can certainly see the appeal of the large interior space and vestibule for a pretty light weight, but for me it comes with far too many drawbacks.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools