Topic

8.2 lb High Sierra solo gear list.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 8.2 lb High Sierra solo gear list.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtLCme-BYUh1dENQUzNIMUxjZUxJZmNvejZlX3dmRWc&hl=en#gid=1

edit 2/26:

*down to 6.3# solo now after further tweaking. truly a summer weight now.

I sold the SS1 and purchased the Hexamid Twin i've been wanting. Also made a few other adjustments.

This is more of a summer list. Shoulder seasons will add an extra pound of insulation layers.

I welcome any critiques, observations, ideas for modifications, myog etc.

I'm not overly concerned with shaving grams off at this point, but if I can make a more efficient system, im all for it.

Items highlighted in blue are things that I still need to purchase.

At the bottom you'll find some calculations for base solo/base duo as well as 3 day trip estimates which include food/fuel.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

page is locked.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Thank you, I think it should be open now.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Aaron
    I like the list. I could easily go with the same list.
    Since you want a critique, here you go.

You are going in the sierras, it's dry and even when a storm goes through in the main hiking season, it isn't enough to need a tarptent. An 8×10 tarp would be more than sufficient. You could save almost a pound (8 ounces) for each person.

Why the extra socks? Why the insanely heavy trekking poles?

That's it though. Everything else is solid and overall the list rocks.
    I would use almost an identical list while pushing long hard days. It just works and there is nothing to fuss with.

I could never just eat 1 pound of food a day though (not base), so I guess it doesn't pertain?

Nice list

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I would switch out the ponchp tarp for a regular type jacket that would be of better use against mosquitos. Extra pair of socks and a set of poles that you feel comfortable using are no burden. LT4s would be lighter, sure.

You could use the headnet as a clothes bag.

More food +1 I'd want almost pound and a half per day.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Have you looked at the route you are taking to ensure you will have enough water stops for only carrying 20oz of water? And do you need a bear can in any of the areas you will be camping in?

Other than that it looks good. The heavy tent is a nice luxury item

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Thank you for those insights.

Tarptent: I have been thinking about entering the world of tarps. From my experience I sometimes prefer to just cowboy camp when I know its going to be a clear night. One of the reasons I thought a fully enclosed shelter was necessary is because of mosquitoes. I'm going to explore the pure tarp option moving forward though.

Extra socks: Could call this an optional item. I try to keep my feet dry/warm and this helps at the end of the day. I switch back and forth every day after washing/drying them.

Trekking poles: I'd love some LT4s but this choice was a frugal one. I figured since they are not pure carried weight, I could afford to put up with heavier. They were the best choice I could find at the intersection of price/strength/weight.

Rain Jacket: I sold my Patagonia rain shadow recently because I almost never wore it and it was almost 12oz. Instead of Poncho tarp I could do Dri Ducks. I thought maybe i'd get the poncho tarp and start using it as a shelter to see how I like tarp camping.

Last summer I weighed my food and actually brought 15oz per day. I never really felt hungry although it was less than I typically eat. (5'11" 190lbs). I can't remember the calorie amounts. I wasn't really doing extremely long hard days though, so thats probably the difference. If I plan a trip with longer distances I better plan to bring about 1.5# per day. Now that my gear list is getting pretty dialed in, I want to start improving my food list.

20oz of water usually works, but yes depends on the trail/season. I've gone with a 32oz bottle and never had a problem in between refills if I used some wisdom.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

What do you guys think of the trash compactor bag for a pack liner? How necessary is this? Lets say I have the golite poncho which works as a rain cover for the pack. Would I need a pack liner?

Only thing I can think of is if I fell in the water at a stream crossing, it would be a big deal that my insulation items stayed dry.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Only thing I can think of is if I fell in the water at a stream crossing, it would be a big deal that my insulation items stayed dry"

This very thing happened to me last year on the JMT. It was a beautiful morning and I was hiking in shorts and t-shirt. I was not paying attention on a stream crossing and I went in, all the way in, laying in the water. The trash compactor liner kept all my gear completely dry. My down bag and down jacket were not in stuff sacks, yet remained dry. First time this has happened in 40 years of hiking, but it happened.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Aaron,

One more thing.
    Aqua Mira has a horrible taste and you won't be using it much up in the sierras.
    So why the 1.3 ounces for it? Throw a couple "Portable Aqua" tabs in your pack for less than a gram.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

"What do you guys think of the trash compactor bag for a pack liner? How necessary is this? Lets say I have the golite poncho which works as a rain cover for the pack. Would I need a pack liner? "

I always use a pack liner and it has helped me a number of times. If you do have rain, it will keep your pack contents dry, and if you pack a wet shelter you can separate dry from wet gear until you get some weather to dry things out.

I have a Six Moon Designs Poncho Tarp and usually use my Gossamer Gear Twinn Spinn. I have set up in and sat out a number of storms under it and for just 9 oz. with stakes it's a great piece of gear but they are no longer around. I also have a 8 x 10 sil nylon tarp I take along also when I have others with me. I like Dri Ducks tops for rain, wind or just sitting around camp at night. Once you set up the poncho tarp you no longer have a waterproof layer to be out in. If you do plan on using a tarp I suggest practicing a bit. It's really important to pick good sites since there is no floor.

I always like to the capacity for 2 liters of water. I use a 1 liter wide mouth soda bottle and an extra 1 liter Platypus which is usually rolled up until cooking time when it is nice to have cooking and drinking water. As far as Aqua Mira or chlorine dioxide, I usually do not detect any poor taste but did have one time when it was unusually strong. I don't treat all my water but I have been using the method you are going to use with the drops put in the little bottle in the morning so i can use them as i go. The one's in the little packages are impossible to open without a knife of scissors.

I typically pack 1.5# of food a day for my Sierra trips. I try to be at 125 calories per ounce minimum.

Your list is great.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Instead of using a almost 1.8oz trash compactor bag as a pack liner… what if I used my polycro groundsheet?

I could wrap it around my down quilt and jacket in such a way to make those items basically waterproof. Anyone ever done this?

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

I don't like the idea because your polycro will be on the ground where it can get wet from rain or just condensation. So, if you have to pack it wet then you would not have any type of liner to put your dry stuff. If my polycro gets wet I put it on the top of my pack, either inside our oustide (depending upon weather) and find a time to dry it out when there is sun or a dry spell.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

+1 to Scott above. A groundsheet can get dusty — and wet — which translates to muddy.

BTW, it's polycryo.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

+2
    Every groundsheet I've ever carried typically ends up lashed to the outside of my pack until at least mid-morning to dry. Even in fair weather I accumulate a good deal of moisture trapped between it and the ground.
    Then there's the dirt issue.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Seems pretty solid.

Knife, maps, compass, pencil, sunglasses, $$, ID?
    Bear cannister where required? Platy weight?

The little stuff can add up surprisingly fast.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have been using turkey roasting bags. Cheap, strong and light. I think you usually get 2 per box.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Totally forgot about my knife. Added that. .7oz mini swiss army classic.

I'll add sunglasses too. They are always "worn" so won't effect base weight.

Maps kind of vary depending on where I am going. Usually use a couple sheets of printed paper. But yes they weigh something.

Compass is on my casio watch. Thats all I bring.

Need to buy a Platy still.

I avoid places where I would have to have a bear canister.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Updated to reflect changes.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Turkey roasting bags? Interesting.. What does one weigh?

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

down to 6.28 after further tweaks. Im not trying to get down to any number, really just hoping to analyze each item and decide what will add/subtract to an enjoyable experience.

Of course "lightness" has a lot of value towards overall enjoyment. Trying to be very careful to avoid "stupid light" choices.

Richard Colfack
    BPL Member

@richfax

Locale: ARIZONA

Your Medium 16.2 ounce Exped Synmat UL 7 is a pig. Seems to me it's a problem when your pad weighs more than either your tent or your pack. I realize pads are very personal but a 9 ounce NeoAir saves you over 7 ounces and it worked fine for me on the JMT.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Did you use a quilt? What did you put under your legs/feet that weren't on the pad? My g.g. murmur has the removable back pad that I could integrate into my sleep system.

I really don't want a neoair because of the noise, but I agree the exped stands out. I consider it well worth its weight only because I sleep so well on it, the energy recharge it offers offsets the weight penalty.

Got me thinking though..

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The Nemo Zor Short weighs 9.1oz (at least mine does). Add a trimmed-down 1/8" thinlight pad for a couple ounces and use your Murmur pad for the thighs/legs, along with any extra stuff/pack for your feet (all under the 1/8" pad). Should drop some weight there, plus you have insurance in case your pad pops.

I've found the dropoff from a short 2.5" airmat to be quite uncomfortable, but some people can do it. Also, a short pad means anything under your legs/feet will migrate throughout the night. The 1/8" pad will keep this from happening (it's very grippy).

The Zor Short with the thinlight will be around 12oz at most. I've used this setup with a quilt before and it works fine. I actually use a trimmed full-length 1/8" Evarest (3oz), but they're out of stock right now. Keep in mind we're only talking about losing a few ounces for a possible change in how you sleep, so it may not be worth it for you. I've found it to be extremely comfortable, though – moreso than a NeoAir. Never tried a SynMat.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools