Topic

Center seam on cuben tarp necessary?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Center seam on cuben tarp necessary?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Question: is a center seam on a cuben tarp necessary? In other words, if I wanted a cuben tarp that was 3 panels of cuben wide (instead of 2) by 12 foot long (so, in effect, about 12×12), would that be okay, or would there be issues with not having a center seam?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I know of at least one company that makes their larger sil tarps using 4 panels, so I don't sew why it would be an issue to use 3.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

With four panels you'd still have a center seam. I'm wondering if that center seam is necessary.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

If you don't want a catenary ridgeline, I think you could put the seams anywhere (on the diagonal, if you like). If you want 12' x 12', I think two seams sounds like a good idea.

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

if you were using it as an A-frame set up, and the 'ridge-line' was going to be the main guy-out point through the middle of a panel, then i would probably make a seam. not a seam as such that uses 2 panels joined, i would look at doing a multi-layer folded/ taped seam, just for added strength. sometimes the seam can be structual, the strongest point, sometimes it can be the weak link

i dont know anything about it though, but thats what all my expirence tells me

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Doug,

My memory is a little fuzzy, but seems like Hammock Gear made a large cuben tarp for a customer that sounds really close to what you are talking about. I remember it had two seams. You might search around Hammock Forums or email Hammock Gear for more info.

Ryan

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

ryan i think that was the original plan w/ the tarp (3 panels of cuben). however i don't know if stormcrow ended up going that route. here in this vid he just added a foot onto the bottom of his normal tarp. he starts talking about that at 8 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8wzxi74pmw

maybe he's changed it since then though.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

How about running a ridge line inside the tarp? That way you add tensile strength to that dimension without worrying about seams ripping or waterproofing issues.

It also makes a nice place to hang a light, glasses, or gear to dry.

Using a midweight of Spectra would add only a few grams of weight to the set-up.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> a ridge line inside the tarp
    +1
    No leaks.

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Thanks everyone!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools