Topic

Convertible Down Blanket W/Snaps-Genius? Superfluous?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Convertible Down Blanket W/Snaps-Genius? Superfluous?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Justin McCabe

@justinmc

Locale: Southern California

Stumbled on this from a Japanese hiking blog (evidence of my Friday work boredom).

Is this superfluous? Innovative? Old news?

I'm intrigued.

=)” height=”375″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1360368680_75648.jpg” width=”500″ />Granny Style

The original blog post is here (use google translate):http://bah.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2012/01/bellemaison.html

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Dude, I like it! The downside I see is that keeping it small enough to be used on arms and legs means it's too small to give true poncho coverage.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

So versatile, great for those in-between-season trips where you need a little extra warmth.

Or, when you are anxious about being warm enough

I want one!

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

I see Tim Marshall getting a call about a customer job….

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

If you can effectively work it into your kit, then it's genius! I would find it fussy. It could be handy stuffed down in the bottom of a bag or quilt, stuffed around the collar region, for a little extra warmth.

Cool blog link btw, the Japanese UL'ers possess a seriously meticulous outdoor style. They seem to put significant effort into the details/outward appearance of their clothing and gear systems, on a level unlike what you see here in the states.

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Locale: Southeast US

Is a answer japanese UL hiker. I've been following him on instagram and flickr and he also utilizes a down skirt during the colder months for 4+ season hiking. In general he and his friends (jotaro of Locus gear) seem to currently be aligned with some of the nordic backpackers at the edge of innovation in the Ul backpacking world

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Good outside the box thinking. It seems to be a way to extend a sleeping bag and get some clothing value out of it. In similar veins, Jacks R Better has made down sleeves and a quilt with a head hole to allow use as a serape. The latter version is the best example of multiple use, IMHO.

As it would be used in camp, I would make it larger; if it was a little big for legs or arms, it could be drawn up a bit. I like the cape idea and a skirt might work well for the bottom option. It would have to be pretty cold to need that on top of all the other down. That's where I see the quilt-as-serape to be a better bet.

A quilt sized as shown may have some use for a hammock underquilt. There are all kinds of places to go with that.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

It's good thinking.

I think that some/many of us use our quilts or sleeping bags for a wrap/cape around the upper torso when it's cold and we are at camp. At least, that's what I do.
    That's why I don't carry a down jacket with me. I use the sleeping bag for that use at camp.

But, this blanket with snaps brings some additional versatility, with the down sleeves and leg warmers.
    However, this versatility introduces some other limitations, such as it then becomes too small to actually be the sleeping bag or quilt, and so you must then carry this AND the sleeping bag.
    So, unless you could reduce the weight of your bag or quilt by the amount of weight in this blanket, you may not be really getting much benefit in terms of weight.

I like the idea. I think it could be further developed to overcome most/all the limitations.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I developed a similar concept (nearly two years ago) and took it as far as prototype testing. Sent one to Jamie Shortt to test and field tested one myself. I liked the basic concept, Jamie not as much. I think the design concept has merit as it can be worn as an insulation layer and opened up to provide added warmth to a users UL sleep system. With Jamie's input I made the decision to not develope the concept further but it was a fun project.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

is that guy rocking 2 different blackrock hats?

i'm sure that extra insulation could really be nice sitting around at camp. you could essentially take a lighter down jacket than you'd normally have to, and rely on the quilt. it'd also be nice getting up to take the morning wizz and make coffee. that's the WORST!

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

"Cool blog link btw, the Japanese UL'ers possess a seriously meticulous outdoor style. They seem to put significant effort into the details/outward appearance of their clothing and gear systems, on a level unlike what you see here in the states".

Yes, that's what I've noticed too.

Say, on another note, how does one translate a page like that?

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

OT: @Rusty, if you use Google Chrome as your browser it will automatically ask you if it should translate the page for you to English. Very useful!

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

I use Chrome as well, it's integrated translator opens up amazing possibilities to read some really great Japanese and German UL blogs.

I agree Rusty, the Japanese have an amazing eye for detail, which makes many of their products aesthetically beautiful as well as functional (Jotaro's products over at Locus gear is an amazing example).

As far as the down blanket goes, I agree with the exception of using it to take your sleep system a little lower, it would be hard to justify, unless it is to replace a puffy or down pants, which I think we all love too much.

So maybe this is destined to be placed on the "luxury" category, but still might find a way into my pack….

Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

It's more than 2kilos isn't it? 4.5lbs. Wonder why? Looks like down.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

216.5 grams

7.63 oz

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

Andy,

ken is right.

I think you might be thinking of the "convertible lead blanket w/snaps" that ULers in the South are forced to carry during hunting season =)

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Thanks, Hendrick and Justin. I downloaded Chrome and translated.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools