Topic

Thoughts on Rain Gear (JMT)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Thoughts on Rain Gear (JMT)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Just to add another possibility, which has worked for me for 40 some years, but is not real popular given the dominance of "breathable" water proof fabrics.

Back in the day, I started with a nylon poncho and chaps. Today I use an MLD set of cuben poncho and chaps – much lighter! I've used them (poncho and chaps in whatever fabric) in the Cascades, the Rockies and the Sierras, and they've never let me down. Yes, the poncho can blow around, but a waist belt of cord or light bungie readily solves that problem. The poncho can act as an emergency shelter, or a tent/tarp extension. Or even a ground cloth. It also acts as a pack cover, preventing any rain from getting into or onto the pack. It does not build up wet sweat in my clothes, since there is so much air circulating under the poncho. If wearing shorts, I don't bother with the chaps.

They are not "ideal" above tree line, due to blowing, but with a waist cord, I haven't really had any problem.

The MLD cuben set is incredibly light weight.

YMMV.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Thanks everyone…so much to think about!

I do have rain pants, I really like my rain pants, but they are something like 9 oz and I was hoping the wind pants would do enough to keep me comfy while hiking. I am a hot hiker (especially if there is climbing involved) and generally have a difficult time hiking in my heftier rain pants even when it's chilly.

I used the rain pants in a nasty hours-long steady rain in Patagonia…but I didn't put them on until my pants were already soaked through. I found that all I needed to do was block the wind and I was a seriously happy camper; my pants were wet inside the rain pants but I was just fine. I've got time so ill keep trying the wind pants in some chilly spring Chicago rains and see how well that works with the tights. I can always pick up a lighter pair of rain pants if I have to. Since I intend to relocate in the rainy PNW after my pct next year, I guess they'll get a fair amount of use.

Thanks again everyone…I'm getting the impression that all in all it doesn't really matter. Right?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I use a good compromise for rain pants. The fabric is about half waterproof and half breathable, and I sewed them from a Thru-Hiker Liberty Ridge pattern–2.45 ounces

–B.G.–

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Jenn,

I would definitely recommend reliable rain gear, top and bottom, for the JMT. I did it in August last year and we had rain, hail and snow most of the time, especially in the afternoon and of course on the passes. You may find that you definitely need to plan to go "up-n-over" long before noon.

For the JMT last year and the CT in 2011, I have used the Montbell stretch wind pants. They are super water resistant, even waterproof actually, I have never had them soak through even in prolonged downpours. They are also very breathable. For the CT, I took both capilene bottoms and my montbell's, but since I never wore them both at the same time, for the JMT I carried only the Montbell's and they worked out fine. On cold nights, I slept with them on and had no condensation. Best part, women's small weighs just over 3 oz.

have fun!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jennifer wrote, "I do have rain pants, I really like my rain pants, but they are something like 9 oz and I was hoping the wind pants would do enough to keep me comfy while hiking. I am a hot hiker (especially if there is climbing involved) and generally have a difficult time hiking in my heftier rain pants even when it's chilly."

Try wearing rain pants with silkweight long johns. The smooth fabric allows the rain pants to move easily and the long johns breathe and keep the cold rain shell farbic off your skin. Rain pants with full side zippers can be opened to vent like pit zips if it isn't pouring. Some pants have pockets and ankle zips that can be used for ventilation too. If I know I'm going to be out in the rain all day, I don't even start with regular hiking pants, and wear the shells and long johns from the trailhead parking lot.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I like wind pants only for summer sierras – or convertibles for a minor weight penalty. Typically I hike in shirts and use wind pants (old, simple GoLite Trunk model) for bugs, briars, and rain. Over my sleep/base layers (typically a cap 2 or 3, down in winter) they give me plenty of warmth and protection. I would look at the Montbell pants (dynamo or something?).

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools