Topic

Strap and Cr@p

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Strap and Cr@p

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

A new item on Kickstarter, I wasn't sure if I should put this in Gear or in Chaff!

Behold the Strap and Cr@p! The solution to your biggest outdoor problem!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/328374

(Surprisingly, pretty safe for work)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

From the website:

"•No need to remove your pack"

I admit that sometimes I'm in a hurry but c'mon! Not to be disgusting but it'd be funny to watch someone test that claim.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hammockers can just use their tree straps! Multi-use!

But I've never felt that just squatting was disgusting, so that bit of marketing misses for me.

I'll give her kudos for an entertaining indiegogo video, though!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Not original…

Squat Strap

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Not original…"

Interesting, and she's applying for a patent on it, if I recall correctly.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

"Interesting, and she's applying for a patent on it, if I recall correctly."

Possibly a design patent, but I would recon she'd have issues with getting a utility patent approved.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think she missed on some of her research- what happen to the 200 ft away from a water source?

Also, what a pain to try and dig a cat hole in the exact spot below where your back aligns with the strap minus the offending orifice.
    Maybe she could use the engineers to develop a formula for depth/height of squat, size of waist, diameter of tree, knee bend angle, etc. and build it into the strap kind of like a slide rule (I might have missed half of those reading with that one) to calculate where to dig the hole in relation to the tree.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Awesome, and HILARIOUS !!!

I had folks come by my office to see the cause of my guffaw…and we LOVE the part where she's leaning back off the tree, about 10 feet off trail in open country, and WAVES to a gal strolling by. And, it's engineered!! Oh, and it holds a bear bell and TP roll! This thing is awesome!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I think that will make it unnecessarily awkward to pee… REAL hikers have calves and thighs that are more than strong enough for a few minutes of squatting.

Sara
    BPL Member

@sara

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

I think no-see-um netting should be added to protect your bum from bites. :P

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Not to be mistaken for the Sit and Sh!t.

KJ

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Patent
    Don't know if Daryl was the first one to do it but I doubt that he applied for a patent, maybe he just thought that it was a crappy idea anyway.
    Now Daryl, I would suggest that you pull down your trousers the next time and forgo the headphones because you may not be able to hear Yogi sneaking up on you…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You people kill me! Doing your duty has to be one of the most basic bodily functions. Even tiny babies do it.

When my father was released from the hospital, after a triple by-pass, he was sent home with all sorts of instructions, but the one his surgeon concentrated on the most (after the medications) was the instructions on "how to do your duty." Pretty funny way of putting it, since my dad was retired Air Force and this was a military hospital. Anyway, the instructions were as follows:

Do NOT enter the bathroom or wherever until the load is AT THE UNLOADING DOCK. That means that you can feel it near the exit.
    Take a seat -NO reading matter, no cell phones, no distractions. In other words, No nothing. This is not the reading room. You are here to get a job done in 30 SECONDS OR LESS. No kidding.

Let it go. If it is at the unloading dock, this should just happen.

As far as squatting in the great outdoors, if you follow the instructions above, you only have to squat for a half minute.

Mrs. T.

Cary Dwiggins
    BPL Member

@cary75

Locale: NW

That reminds me of one of those 'get to know you' games we did on my first day of high school. We were supposed to get signatures from others for statements that applied to them. On the line 'I read in the bathroom,' I laughed out loud and protested 'Why would Anyone do that?', only to find that at least half of the class was guilty of just that. I came from a family with 1 bathroom and there was never a need for dallying.

Anyway, squatting is really good for you and I think we should all incorporate more in our pampered lives.

Cary

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Seems like a small bag for the TP would fare better than a strap. A trowel needs to be worked into the system, or add a small explosive charge to clear a cat hole.

Homo sapiens has been around 195,000 years at last count. You would think we would retain these skills a bit better with so much practice. Where is Mike Clelland?

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

If i was going to use tree support while taking a squat it would be with something like this. Looks way more comfy to me.

http://northwoodshammock.com/?wpsc-product=aspen-toilet-hammock

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools