Topic

Hooded Windshirts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hooded Windshirts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Yes, another windshirt thread. I figured I would start another one, rather than hijack one of the existing threads.

I'm in the market for a windshirt. I have a couple, but the one I use the most is a Montbell. I like it, but it lacks a hood. I am looking for one that will be used primarily in the summer. I use it for bug protection as much as wind protection. Here are some features I would like:

1) Hooded (otherwise I would just stick with what I have).
    2) More Breathable (less windproof) — Since I use it as much for bug protection as wind protection (I also have rain gear so I can always pile on the wind protection).
    3) Full Zip — This isn't a necessity, but I like having it.
    4) Lightweight — The lighter the better (of course).
    5) Light color — When I use it for bug protection it can get too hot if my only choices are dark colors. I also like to be seen, so I don't mind bright (even ugly) colors.
    6) Athletic Fit — I fit the Montbell clothes pretty well. I'm pretty skinny, at 6 feet even and around 150 (give or take a beer or two).

Here are some jackets I'm considering:

Tachyon Anorak — This lacks a full zip (which is why I'm not too thrilled with it).
    Patagonia Houdini — A crowd favorite. It seems to be quite breathable. I'm not thrilled with the weight though and don't know about the fit.
    The North Face Verto Jacket — I don't know too much about this, but it seems like it should be considered. It seems rather pricey for what it is (but Montbell isn't cheap and I always like their stuff). I'm not sure if they still make this and if I can get one.
    Stoic Wraith Shell — This sounds like what I want. Like the North Face shirt, though, I'm not sure where I can get one.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

Feathered Friends Jackorack?

Only smalls and mediums, favorable reviews

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

This may be way out there…..but thought I'd toss it in as a thought as it seems to fit your criteria. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64670

I have your stats and love the way the Large fits. I could have made it a full zip too…but wanted to save a bit of weight. I have found it to offer great skeeter protection. It's light and inexpensive too. Just a thought…….

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Ross,

I bought a Stoic Warth a while back and it is nice but they did not out any elastic on the cuffs which is a small negative.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I do not have or want a hood on my wind shirt. I want my wind shirt to be as light weight as possible.
    if the weather is blustery enough to require a hood, I go with my 6 oz shell – North Face Triumph.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I have the Stoic Wraith.
    It's very light and nice.
    There is a full zip and a hood.
    There is no elastic on the hood or the cuffs.
    But it only weighs about 2.5 ounces, and stuffs into it's own very small pocket.
    The fit runs snug.
    And when they run a sale, the price is VERY good, at under $40.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Ross, consider the MEC RD Windshirt. It's full zip, it's got a fantastic hood (functionally, not stylistically) that keeps bugs from entering and it's got a nice long but slim cut. At 6'0", 160 lbs, a medium fits awesome. The sleeves are nice and long (I put thumb loops in mine).

It comes in a light color option, and it's even on sale for $59. It's a bit heavier than some at 5oz, but all of that weight is in the fabric which I think is a great balance between weight and durability. It's also on the more breathable side, so it offers good wind protection, full bug protection yet has good breathability and feel. It doesn't feel like plastic like some options. It's something you can bushwack with a bit and not really worry.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MemberPicks/MensClothing/PRD~5019-388/mec-rd-windshell-jacket-mens.jsp

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Another to consider: Rab Cirrus

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

You should also look at the Arc Squamish. Probably the most breathable option, but not the lightest.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i was going to recommend eddie bauer's scirroco jacket but i can't find it on their site anymore :(

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

I have a stoic wraith and a CAMP magic anorak, and though I haven't done more than try on the wraith yet, it feels quite 'plasticky' and like it won't breathe very well (for a windshirt, that is). I also have the Rab Boreas, and it's about twice the weight of an ordinary windshirt, but I'd say it's more durable as well, and it's certainly more breathable. Dave Chenault raves about it, and it's featured in his SOTM on windshirts from last fall.

That report also discusses breathability a lot, worth a look.

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Locale: Southeast US

I have an old montane Aero windshirt that weights in at 2.9 oz and is AWESOME, but sadly it lacks hood. I've put that guy through the wringer, and can tell you that its bombproof.
    I have recently purchased the marmot trail wind hoody that has mesh in the pits and is super breathable, and is incredibly light yet durable. Fit is nice and slim. I weight 185 pounds and am 6'1 and the medium has a nice slim fit. It does weigh a little more because of all the features

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

+1 on Arc Squamish hoody.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

Another +1 for the Squamish.

janos mathiesen
    BPL Member

@janosm

Locale: phinney ridge

I own the feathered friends Jackorak and it is possibly my most used piece of gear… It will brush off a LIGHT shower and does well with snow but will wet out with not too much rain… That being said it's a windshirt and not a rain jacket. It is crazy light (3.7 oz I believe) with all taped seams, full length zipper and side pockets. It breaths well. It is not cheap at around $150 though. Combind with a midweight base layer during winter snowshoeing is a perfect combination. I am excited to use it on my upcoming JMT trip this summer…

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i may have an old marmot ion in my gear box that i would part w/ on the cheap. lmk if you would be interested and i'd dig through my stuff. it fits the bill on your criteria in OP.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

The tachynon anorak probably has the best hood of all windshirts, mine in large also only weighs 2.4oz.

It has a lot of adjustments, and has a wire brim, overall very snug fit when cinched.

anorak

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Yeah, I sadly confirmed that Eddie Bauer is no longer making the Sirocco wind jacket which was by far the best value in the marketplace for a 5oz hooded wind jacket at $50. I called to one of the Stores and they were able to track down some stock in their outlet stores and so I bought one today for 50% off ($25!!!!). That gives me a backup.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I agree that the wraith is what you're looking for. The lightest windshirts tend to be less breathable, but I think the wraith is an exception. Its also cut fairly slim, and its got a streamlined, very compressible design. Keep your eye out on gearswap, or wtb one. I bet one will show up.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I got one on Department of Goods last week, they only had XL in stock at the time, I took a chance with it as normally wear a Large and found it fits very nicely.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools