Topic

SUL gear list, how does it look?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion SUL gear list, how does it look?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

The last few months have been eye opening, I have been on this site quite a bit to say the least. I remember posting my incomplete gear list on the other section which was 9-10 pounds and I thought I couldnt ever go lighter. But now I have. I have used most of the gear listed out in the field, with my exception of my new EE 10d quilt and a few other items like my .6oz knife.

I am still trying to decide what inflatable i'd like to upgrade to (reccomendations?). I also realize I could drop another pound if I got a cuben pack and shelter, or went without bug protection… But that is going to have to wait until I wear this new gear out.

5.85 pounds suited for nighttime lows around the 30's, and hiking most of the time.

Click here: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=8993

zimmercarbon cookset

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Does hiking most of the time with lows in the 30's mean you will not be carrying an insulated jacket?

I don't think that is a good idea.

Don't see any rain gear either.

michael levi

@m-l

Lows around 30's is meant to describe the low temps this kit is capable of(worst case scenario) I don't do winter hiking, mostly summer. If needed I have an atom lt jacket I can throw in last minute if needed. And with that and my windshirt I am pretty toasty in colder situations.

Also I did forget my rain gear, it is a disposable poncho that weighs 1.1 ounce and cost .98 cents. Ill add that to the list.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

+1 Nick.

I've had a Tachyon anorak. Great piece of gear, but wouldn't want to sit around in <40 temps with it alone….

Where's insulation or raingear?

Are you wearing pants? A long sleeve shirt?

Clothing seems a bit lacking.

michael levi

@m-l

Guys clothing varies so much depending where I go, sometimes I'm 13k feet up and other times ill be in Hawaii with nothing but a swimsuit. So it's hard too say :)

What I listed for clothing are things that will always be with me, and I could add a merino baselayers and arcteryx atom lt if needed. But I don't do much winter hiking.

michael levi

@m-l

Well this kind of got off on a wrong start. But thanks anyways.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

"Well this kind of got off on a wrong start. But thanks anyways."

Nah, just a simple issue of semantics with your OP is all. Nick and Craig were just trying to give constructive criticism because they thought this was a winter list, I think.

If this is a summer list, add a rain poncho and you seem pretty good to go. The 30 degree bag in the summer seems a bit overkill, but not sure where you will be. For example, I am planning on upgrading to a Zpacks sleeping bag 40F/5C degree to use 3 season, but for here in Sweden/Norway. In the spring/fall just swap out wool base layers for the lighter synthetic ones I have my current SUL summer list, which is here if you want to see it: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=10426

My current bag is only rated 55F/13C, but I sleep in all my clothing if needed if there is a cold sap. Once I upgrade my bag, I can then cut weight on my clothing worn–lighter pants, jacket, etc. in the summer, and in spring/fall add clothing when needed.

So I guess what I am saying is that your SUL list seems like you are trying to push it to a 3 season list when perhaps it should be more of a summer or 1+ season list. So I say save weight and swap out your 30 degree bag for something lighter, or just a nylon or silk liner if it is really warm. To make it a 3 season SUL list, looks like you will have to switch out your pack and/or shelter for lighter stuff (does not have to be Cuben, though that is a good choice, if expensive). Or just mod it a bit and be happy with a 6-7lb UL gear system.

Right now my spring/fall gear list on my profile is around 7lbs and can go lighter based on a few variables, maybe to 6lbs. A 5lb BW and a 6lb BW does not really feel much different, but a 4lb BW vs. a 8lb BW does from my experiences.

Good luck and hope this helps. Next time, just a little more details or more clear language (this is a challenge we all struggle with, myself included, and not always possible to do) helps. :)

michael levi

@m-l

Thanks Cesar for your input.

I am actually considering picking up a down vest to add a little more warmth in camp in the shoulder seasons. I am thinking about the stoic down vest, or maybe a montbell one. 4-5 ounces would be better. I am thinking I don't need a full hoodie because I already have the zpacks down hood.

Any recommendations on a really light down vest?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I am happy with my Montbell Ex UL down vest. Just under 4 ounces.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Good call on the vest, especially since you have the down hood. I have a down hat, but I prefer the comfort of a synthetic beanie, plus easier and more practical to wash. I have a synthetic vest and would love to upgrade to a down one, but with new summer bag and Cuben bivy already up on the list, vest will have to wait. I really like vests, and with wearing lots of layers, it makes it easier to move your arms around too rather than feeling like the Stay Puff marshmallow man. My vest is 6.7oz/190g but was cheap, only paid 100 SEK (15 USD), and it is on its third year of use.

If it is warmer out I will leave the vest, and if it is colder (under freezing at night) I will add my down jacket as an insulating layer.

Clothing worn vs. clothing in BW is a whole other puzzle. After going UL then SUL is when I bothered to really put my clothing worn under the microscope, but it was not as hard as I thought to upgrade my system. This summer my clothing worn should be around 1-1.5kg/2.2-3.3lbs.

michael levi

@m-l

I think I will end up getting the MB ex light, they just seem hard to find, they may be discontinued but the weight is admirable so im still looking.

One more thing, I ordered a BA Q-core SL (4.5 r-value)66 inch long sleeping pad online last night. Its going to weigh about 16-17 ounces. Sadly I dont think im going to be in the 5 pound range anymore unless I keep using my CCF.

Still I am at 6.43 pounds, and once I add a down jacket ill be around 6.9 pounds for a kit thats pretty versatile so im happy. During the heat of the summer ill have no problem dropping a few warm things and ill be able to hit 5 pounds again.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I have a Western Mountaineering down vest that's great. I think that it weighs 4-5 ounces. Has served me well for many years. I think that it's 900 fill but I could be wrong; certainly 800.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Can someone actually copy and post this list?
    Both my computers cannot view it.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

"Sadly I dont think im going to be in the 5 pound range anymore unless I keep using my CCF. Still I am at 6.43 pounds, and once I add a down jacket ill be around 6.9 pounds for a kit thats pretty versatile so im happy. During the heat of the summer ill have no problem dropping a few warm things and ill be able to hit 5 pounds again."

I know this is heresy on an SUL thread but I think for each of us the game is really about finding the setup we are happy with. Don't let a label (SUL) drive you into discontentment.

michael levi

@m-l

Ill try and post a picture, check your plugins, I think you may need to download Abobe Flash.ultralight

michael levi

@m-l

"I know this is heresy on an SUL thread but I think for each of us the game is really about finding the setup we are happy with. Don't let a label (SUL) drive you into discontentment."

Right now Im at 6.37 pounds, If I add more insulation I will be around 7 pounds which I am happy with.

One thing that is bringing me out of the 5 pound range is my new BA Q-core SL air pad. 16.9 ounces, I had a neo air trekker before, and love the packability. My pack is super tiny too w/o the CCF needed to be carried.

Overall I am very happy with the current baseweight, I have some sweet gear and have progressed as a hiker with the help of this forum. Thanks all.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Your list looks great. Have you thought about shedding an ounce or two with a different light? I use the Fenix LD01 which clips to the bill of my hat. Weighs .85oz, including a AAA battery.

michael levi

@m-l

My 2.4 ounce Petzyl works well for right now. But if I did get anal about a few things I could definitley shave some weight. But I think im to the point where what I have works, and If I wanted to drop weight im going to do it by dropping pounds…

For example my pack which is made of Xpac weighs 15.6 ounces, I could replace it with a Zpacks zero that weighs 5 ounces. I could also cut 8 ounces off my shelter going with cuben.

My shelter is a silnylon hexamid replica that BearPaw made for me (I helped design it).

It can fit two people, it doesnt need a ground sheet, and has full bug protection. Best of all its simple. I could go cuben but I think im close enough to SUL that im happy with my setup.

Let me know what you guys think of it, I havent shown it to anyone yet. Weight is 18.7 ounces with litetrail 1mm guylines.

tent lairtent lair 2

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

The tent looks great. What did it cost? Considering the same thing in cuben is near $400.

michael levi

@m-l

About $250.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Tent seems a bit loose in those pictures. Is that just because you didn't finish tensioning it?

michael levi

@m-l

Correct I didn't have enough time to set it up perfect. One thing I noticed is that the mesh zipper becomes real tight and hard to zip when the tent is completely taut. I might just need to play with guylines lengths so e more though.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools