Topic

Bushbuddy Fake?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bushbuddy Fake?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Locale: Southeast US

I recently purchased a bushbuddy ultra from a BPL member and on the bottom it says Bushbuddy Ultra. In many of the videos online it says BB ultra on the bottom. I was provided none of the original packaging and am wondering… Did I buy a bushbuddy regular and paid the price of the ultra? Or did Fritz at one Time write out Bushbuddy Ultra on the bottom

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Seems easy enough for you to figure out. What does it weigh?

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Don't have postal scale. This might be the factor that contributes to me getting one.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

"Don't have postal scale."

OMG!

Somebody get a rope… ;-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Or bring it to your local post office and ask them to weigh it.

My guess is that it's the ultra.

Patrick Mullen
    BPL Member

@pdmullen

Locale: Northwest USA

Martin,

I have a Bushbuddy Ultra that I purchased directly from Fritz a couple of years ago and can confirm that it says 'BUSHBUDDY ULTRA' in capital letters across the bottom. You should be able to confirm that it's real given the workmanship of the stove. It's extremely well made and, as noted above, can easily be validated by weight as well.

Would be happy to send you a photo if desired.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

>>Don't have postal scale. This might be the factor that contributes to me getting one.

No scale, no problem. Just break out your calipers and see if the outer shell has a thickness of .004" =)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Don't have postal scale. This might be the factor that contributes to me getting one."

Yes. Indeed.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

>> No scale, no problem. Just break out your calipers and see if the outer shell has a thickness of .004" =)

That is going to become classic!!!! LOL

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Right nick!

I was just thinking, "you might be an ultralighter if… you break out your postal scale and calipers to determine the validity of a stove."

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Well, if we want to be really accurate on the measurement, the OP may be better served with a micrometer; more accurate… especially if there is a lip on the top edges of the stove.

Of course most of us bought our micrometer long before our scale :)

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

You don't need a scale or micrometer.

Bushbuddy Ultras have 257 spot welds. The regular bushbuddys, pre 2008 due to the thicker gauge metal used only have 243 spot welds. Post 2008 regular bush buddies (lighter version) have 253 spot welds, except for a few rare prototypes early in the production run which also used 257 spot welds but where prone to premature failure due to corrosion issues. It's highly unlikely any of these are still in general circulation.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Thanks, now know exactly how to do it!

Anybody want to by a Bushpal?

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Speaking of Bushbuddy clones, I got a Trekker/Ultra from http://www.nomadicstovecompany.com/. He's linked on the Bushbuddy.ca as a US craftsman, and he does great work. It's an identical product, except that he uses a really cool stamp on the bottom and doesn't ship his in a little wood box.

So, if anybody is looking to avoid the hassle of ordering it from Canada, you can get it from the US by going through him (Jeff Tinker)… He's a member of BPL too.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Anyone here a metallurgist?

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

I just wanted someone to confirm that they had purchased a bb ultra with h same phrase on the bottom. I'm headed to the post office and will check weight as well. Thanks to everyone for the help and I'll be buying a postal scale soon !

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Anybody want to by a Bushpal?"

Yes! Unfortunately, these days I don't seem to be able to get past the first or second date….

Chad Webster

@blaktee

Locale: Targhee National Forest

I own a nomadic trekker as well. And it is an amazing stove. The workmanship is top notch!! Somehow the are affiliated, I found his web site off of the bushbuddy web-site.

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Such geeks:

We were able to come up with several ways to validate the stove

1) weight
    2) number of spot welds
    3) and thickness of metal

A lot of classic Bpl Geekery in this thread, I love it!!!

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

The Nomadic Trekker doesn't tell you which model it is. =(

On the bright side, it gave me an excuse to weigh it and use my calipers!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools