Topic

Cactus to Clouds March 3rd

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Cactus to Clouds March 3rd

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Marcus Dyson

@doctordee

Locale: Yorkshire, UK

I find that I have to be in Palm Springs on the weekend of March 2/3.

I've had my eye on the Cactus to Clouds for a while, and was planning to do it in September this year.

Does anyone know if early March is a feasible time to attempt this? I'm from the UK, so not familiar with high altitude SoCal weather at that time of year.

I'd be solo ultra-light hiking, if that is feasible. Clearly if it will be snowcapped and I'd be post-holing the last few miles, I'll prolly give it a miss.

I've Googled, but can;t find anything definitive about the climate.

DoctorDee

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Nobody at the SJ Ranger station will give you any information about the trail below Long Valley (that's the first 10 miles or so of the trail, and the first 8,000 feet of elevation gain). That part is called the Skyline Trail, and it is not considered an official trail by any agency.

In March, the traverse from Grubb's Notch up to Long Valley is usually serious ice. Also the mile before Grubb's Notch is often treacherous. We're talking real crampons, ice axe, and the requisite skill to use them. By the time you hit all of this you will have traveled about 8 miles and gained 7,000 in elevation.

So, not advisable unless one has serious mountaineering skills and the equipment to go with it.

I hope you realize that Cactus to Clouds is 17.5 miles and over 10,000 feet elevation gain. Plus if you think you are going to do it in a day, you have return 5.5 miles back to the tram.

We have had quite a bit of snow the past couple of weeks and it may continue.

I did this in March a few years ago during a low snow year. By the time you get past 7,000 feet you basically have passed the point of no return, unless you started out with a couple of gallons of water or can melt snow/ice. Before I got to Grubb's Notch I was in a serious situation, the ice was that bad. There was no snow or ice until around 7,000 feet because that portion of the mountain gets a lot of sun. The rest is heavily wooded and gets little sun in winter. As soon as I got to the shaded area, there was several feet of snow and it was mostly ice. At this point I knew I was probably beyond my skill level — there wasn't much choice or options. I was solo, did make it safely to the tram, but it was the scariest situation I have ever been in. I will admit, I was beyond my skill level. I had crampons and an ice axe with me and had to use them.

You may want to consider just taking the tram up and going to the Peak and back to the tram, 11 miles round trip. Don't underestimate this mountain because it is in southern California.

Here are a couple "fair weather" trip reports that might provide you with some information: San Jacinto Loop

Weather: PS Tram Weather

There used to be a lot of good recent information here. I haven't checked it out in several years.

San Jacinto Forum

edited to fix url links.

Marcus Dyson

@doctordee

Locale: Yorkshire, UK

Roger, Nick,

Thanks for the comprehensive and useful information.

I'm more of a fast endurance hiker – I have done Grand Canyon Rim-Rim in 8 hours, Portal – Whitney – Portal in 9.5 hours, and Happy Isles to Tuolumne in a day, so I believe that I am capable of the ascent and distance – in good conditions.

I have experience up to 18,500ft, with crampons and axe, but always as part of a group, and roped where necessary. Since I'll be solo, and since planning for this would add considerable complexity to what is already a whistle-stop visit, I'll give it a miss. I'll be back in September (permits allowing) to have a go (and be aware that then, temperature and dehydration will be my risk factors).

Regards

DoctorDee

janos mathiesen
    BPL Member

@janosm

Locale: phinney ridge

Just finished this hike today. Grubbs notch, even if icy has no sections with any real exposure. If it was indeed sheet ice crampons would be helpful and micro spikes more than likely enough. Maybe I am used to cascade conditions but I was surprised at the overall safety of the trip considering I was nervous about finding a run out and exposed section when I was that far in. It is indeed a strenuous and taxing hike (I am sitting in my hotel room in a vegetative state:)) but did not really strike me as technical. That being said I respect every bodies individual comfort zone and this hike, like any hike of this length, should be taken seriously.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools