Topic

Where would you like a midwest GGG be held

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Where would you like a midwest GGG be held

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Hi I would like imput from any one that would be willing to travel to a midwest destination. Where would you like a GGG to be held? Or where do you live and how far would you be willing to drive? It might be best to hold multiple events but I would like to find what area would be best for the most people. So if there is any place in the Midwest you would travel to sound off. Who are you? Where are you from? What do you feel is the perfect location? When would you like to do this? How far would you be willing to travel? Please answer these questions as completly as possible but even if you just tell where you are from and how far you are willing to drive it gives me something to go off. Please answer on this thread and not by PM as I want all to see what everyone wants.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

This is a example of what I want for your responces. Hi Mark here from Davenport Iowa I think an ideal spot to hold a midwest GGG would be southern Illinois somewhere in the Shawnee National Forest, I think this area would draw alot of people or possibly around Kanasas City. I will travel up to 8 hours for a event like this. I would like it to be held in late march to may and be a three day weekend.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Mark,

That's about 10 hours for me so a bit too far.

Maybe some other time.

Cheers,

Stephen

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

Stephen, Shawnee is not set in stone, that is just Mark's pick. We are looking for ideas on where and when to have one. We are looking for all your inputs so we can draw the largest amount of people, so please, give is your opinion.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

The UP has some great backpacking. However, that stretches the limits for anyone south of Chicago.

The Black River State Forest allows camping anywhere on its property. Did a winter trip there. Some nice ridges and bluffs.

There's the Shawnee and Hoosier forests in Indiana and Illinois.

Less interesting but viable is Kettle Moraine. They're also sticklers for permits because of its proximity to Milwaukee and Madison.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Doug,

I am based in Mid Michigan, I don't know of any places in Illinois (I am only living in The US a year)

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Good ideas Travis,

The UP would be nice but as you say it would be too far for others.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I live in Indianapolis and would travel up to 5 hrs to a GGG. Southern IN has some nice state forests around Brown County. A weekend would be ideal and probably sometime in June, after the kids graduate, but I'm flexible.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Perfect answer Steve if we can figure who wants to come and from where we can figure the best place or places to hold the event(

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Have car, will travel. My wife will be in Spain doing the Camino de Santiago from May 1 til June 18 so I have a free pass.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I'm in Kansas City and could drive to any state that's adjacent to Missouri. Shawnee Forest would be ok with me, as would anything in the Missouri or Arkansas Ozarks.

Adam

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A tip from someone who has been there.

To Mark, spearheading this gathering. Good for you. I enjoy ours out here every year.

Give it some thought. Then just pick a spot and a date. You won't pick one that will work for 100% of those interested. Make it work for you. They will come.

Have fun!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

There are a couple of state forests just south of Indianapolis. Yellowwood and Morgan-Monroe forests. Could be a nice, central location.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Adam R and Steve Meier get gold stars everyone else please reread the first two posts and redo your assignment

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Where would you like a GGG to be held?
    -Anywhere within a 6 hour drive that has something resembling a backcountry experience.

Or where do you live and how far would you be willing to drive?
    -I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and would be willing to drive about 6 hours.

Who are you?
    -Travis Leanna

Where are you from?
    -Originally from Kenosha, Wisconsin, but currently live in Milwaukee

What do you feel is the perfect location?
    -Somewhere in the Michigan U.P. But, that's too far for most people. So, anywhere where we can get a group together. Being next to a river or lake might be cool. Somewhere that allows for campfires. Wouldn't mind cooking a steak and having a beer.

When would you like to do this?
    -That's tough. I don't know. Anytime that I have free (which is like never.) I'm partial to early fall, but I'm assuming this is an attempt for a springtime gathering, which is cool too.

How far would you be willing to travel?
    -6 hours, possibly a tad longer if it were two nights.

For suggestions, people can refer to my other posts.

How'd I do, Mark? Do I get an A? :)

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Now if I could just write a questionnaire that was readable and it does not help that I do most on my phone

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Mark,
    My answer stands.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

It might be best to hold multiple events but I would like to find what area would be best for the most people.

Finding one location to generate the largest attendance may be a worthwhile goal but finding one location that does not exclude may people due to distance is likely impossible.

It doesn't help that "Midwest" is somewhat loosely defined but if we were to accept the Census Bureau's definition of Midwestern U.S. we have and area that is 20 hours of driving from Easy to West and 16 hours of driving from north to south!

That situation is made even worse when you look at "green areas on the map" (state and national forests) and realize that they are in the northern, western and southeastern edges of the region.

I'm in Twin Cities MN and willing to attend in MN, WI and western UP MI. Or IA and northern IL if agreeable sites are found.

Mike V
    BPL Member

@deadbox

Locale: Midwest

Hi, Mike here from the far-West Chicago suburbs. I think an ideal spot to hold a Midwest GGG would be southern Wisconsin perhaps a section of the Ice Age trial, such as Kettle Moraine, I think this area would draw a lot of people from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa and possibly Indiana. I would be willing to travel up to 5 hours for an event like this. I would like it to be held in late April to June and be a three day weekend.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Shawnee, Hoosier national forest, Ozarks…Chicago is pretty centrally located so we can get a lot of places within 8-10 hours. Consider Charles Deam; we can get to some awesome off-trail campsites pretty effortlessly (easy bushwacks), free parking, centrally located in southern indiana, no permits, no group size limits, no fee.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Charles Deam is about an 8 hour trip for me. If I could meet up with a person or two along the way to car pool I might be able to make that work though.

Adam

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Mark is a friend of mine and only lives about 15 minutes away and knows my preferences, but here it is anyway. I live in Davenport, Iowa, close to the Mississippi River. I would be willing to drive 6 to 8 hours provided it is on one of my three day weekends. The weekends of March 8, 22 April 5, 19 May 3, 17. These aren't the only times I will go, just don't want to spend all my time driving. I want some time to hang out with the new friends I hope to make. I don't really have a preference on where to go, but somewhere with nice trails close by, somewhere scenic, and space to spread out. Some of us do snore! The past Midwest GGG's have had an added G which stands for grilling, and some of the meals have been very fine. A site that would allow for this would be nice, but not mandatory. An area to fish would be nice too, but again, not a deal breaker. The big thing is to get together, have some fun, share a meal and check out what other people carry. PLEASE let us know what what you want to get your participation.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

It's been a week, is there no interest at all?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I would travel up to about 7 hours if I had someone to car pool with, I will check the local folks.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools