Topic

Looking for an Obscure Cup/Kettle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for an Obscure Cup/Kettle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Ok, so I need a cup for one purpose; getting water from a trickling stream or a flat rest stop sink into a tall container, like a 2L Platypus or a Sawyer filter bag.

I am looking for a very lightweight cup that has a kettle-style nozzle on it so I can easily get the water into the small opening on the Platypus.

Bonus points if it's a tiny titanium kettle that I can also cook out of, but I really want that little nozzle.

Let me know what you guys use!

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

not metal but lighter. i use 3-4" cut off the bottom of a plastic Planters peanuts jar. scoops and fills bottles easily and weighs 19g. I put my Sawyer squeeze and folded Evernew "dirty" bottle inside. cheap with the bonus of peanuts :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/Socjake/Hiking/1010022010.jpg

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

Cut the top half off a 1L Platypus, you can bend it into the smallest trickle of a stream and it will naturally form a spout for pouring into your storage platy, weighs next to nothing. I also use a lid on the storage platy from the hydration tube, (It has a large hole in the top) that I have fitted with a washing machine hose filter to strain out large floaties.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Obviously the not so obscure MSR Titan Kettle meets this requirement but I assume you are looking for something smaller.

I use a Gatorade bottle chopped not quite in half which will still hold >16oz of water. It nests inside my pot perfectly. I put graduated markings on it for measuring and I use it as a drinking cup when my pot is in use. This is a cheap and light solution and you can squeeze the top to serve as a pour spout.

On a side note, I'm going to use this to sterilize water with my Steripen adventurer when I do the Wonderland this summer since I've retired my Nalgene bottles and don't feel like sacrificing a 1L platy to serve this purpose.

Edit: "…that I have fitted with a washing machine hose filter to strain out large floaties." Great idea! I'm going to have to reconsider chopping the bottom off of one of these.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on the cut platypus bladder. Cut at an angle so there is a "point" that makes for easier scooping in small spaces and easier pouring. It also makes (if using a bladder with a stand-up base to it) a nice little sink in camp to have extra water for washing hands, etc.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Never thought of sacrificing a platy, though, i suppose it's like an $8 scoop. not too bad! Thanks, everyone.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I cut one of the cheapo sawyer bags to use as my spout. No need to waste a nice platy….

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Actually, found an old Nalgene Cantene laying around. Chopped off the bottom 4 inches. Perfect!

My Sawyer came with one nice plastic bag instead of four useless ones.

Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

The GSI halulite kettle sounds just like what you were describing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools