Topic

Summit Rocket 20 Vest Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Summit Rocket 20 Vest Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Mentioned in the OR thread. Just thought I'd point out that its now available. I have the 7L daypack version and the vest strap system gives quite good stability. Just wish they sold it in a size L. Not as important without a hipbelt, but still matters. Strap system also works brilliantly for climbing FWIW. No shoulder rubbing when reaching high.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/mountain-hardwear-summitrocket-20-vestpack-mens.html?gclid=CNT2z9vunrUCFUfhQgodGGMAIA

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ive never had any issues with my 26$ MEC bullet packs … or the BD ones … and those are about the same weight with 400D+ material

120$ for what is basically a bullet pack with 100D material?

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Eric, I'm glad you found a cheap and durable pack.

The MH pack is a lot different than a bullet pack.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

To be fair, it's available on backorder. Hope it actually appears soon.

Pricey compared to packs with totally different specs, reasonable compared to the only competition (Ult Dir PB vest). Hope it fits non-short people. The Summitrocket 30 would be great if the one size fit larger than a 17" torso.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Doesn't seem to be all that useful as a niche; I think everything in this price range that is similar looks better to me, like the ones from Salomon. This seems closer to the Camelbaks and Patagonia Compressor bags in the $40-80 range.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Really cool pack. Vests are SO much more stable/comfortable if you don't need a hipbelt for weight transfer.

If they made this with the removable Hardwave framesheet and/or in a 30 liter version, I'd buy one. Hardwave Framesheet, so it doesn't turn into a tube when stuffed full. 30 Liters because I'd like one for overnights – though I might be able to cram into a 20L. I've been able to cram a stoveless overnight into a 12L bag before.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I have their (appears to now be discontinued) Fluid 6 pack that has the same vest harness- very comfy and carries nicely- ie no bounce while running

I've been looking for a running pack that would be suitable for overnights- I've found this to be a very narrow niche that appears to be currently unfilled

the UD signature line is rumored to be adding a 20-25 liter pack

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

I ordered one to try on, and as i feared it was a little too short (I'm 6'2"). Other than that, the vest straps and compression system make a great fastpacking design. I'd probably get one if they came in size L.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Yeah, I've got one coming too. Curious to play around with it.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Neat concept but is it really better than an MLD Newt at 170 grams?

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

'better' depends on you use. For hiking, it wont make a big difference but the whole point of this pack is to provide a stable ride while moving fast. The strap system is way different than something like a newt.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

" the UD signature line is rumored to be adding a 20-25 liter pack ".

Mike – do the rumors say when this pack will hit the market ?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Art- haven't heard any dates or what it's going to look like

Mike

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Mike, I think the Fluid 6 is now the Fluid Race Pack.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

now it's back up on their site :)

they are very similar however

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Serge, do you have any estimate for what size torso the pack would fit? Thanks.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

you could probably make it work even if you're my height considering you don't need to transfer the weight to your hips. The issue that I was having was with a full multi-day load, there was too much weight balanced on my upper back. Its not a thick pack, but ideally if the pack were a little longer and thinner, than the weight would be kept closer to the length of my back. It'd probably fit pretty well if you're around 5'10" and shorter, but worth trying on even if you're taller. May suit you just fine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools