Topic

Soft-Shells for Cold Weather Hiking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Soft-Shells for Cold Weather Hiking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

I recently came across a great deal on a soft shell and I'm not quite sure when to use it. I use it mainly for urban wear but I'm wondering if any of you experience summit trekkers could give some insight of their uses on the trails. Is it a necessary layer?
    Cheers,
    Dan

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I use one as my main shell for winter backpacking anytime I expect below freezing weather. It blocks most of the wind while still breathing well, and will shed any snow that falls. Better under these conditions than a normal hardshell.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Thanks Don!
    Here in KY, I hike in a natural rain forest (Red River Gorge) and the precipitation is of concern. Do you pair this with a shell in these circumstances? I have a light poncho that I generally take because I don't have money for a $200+ event layer. The humidity would destroy me in anything less breathable.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Softshells shine in sub freezing temps where most of your precip is in solid form. In near freezing temps they can become a huge liability if they are your only shell often forcing you to keep moving to stay warm and to shave a day or more off your backpack trip (just trust me on this one ;) )

Because they're usually made of a denser fleece/shell fabric or have membranes they tend to absorb A LOT of water which isn't good in near freezing temps.

I love mine for around the city or day trips where at the end of the day I'll have a guaranteed warm night. They are quite versatile and I wear mine in anything from 70s to mid-40s while sedentary. Depending on your fabric though (as in my case) they're often heavier than the typical insulating and shell layer combos that work so well, so don't get taken overnight. Like you I don't see too much continuous sub-freezing weather so I haven't had the chance to really test them in sustained cold but many claim that is where they shine.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

I think you guys pretty much summed it up. Thanks. I'll keep this as an "urban piece" since I already have a decent layering system. Unless I get out in sub freezing, which isn't often.
    Cheers!

Paul Mason

@dextersp1

I use a soft shell for hiking 14ers in winter. It is all about the layering. Stop by 14ers.com and you will get the same response.

I use a Golite softshell, UnderArmor cold wheather, base layer, light weight fleece – it works.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I have a light poncho that I generally take because I don't have money for a $200+ event layer"

I also don't have the money to buy the above–that's why i went with a Stoic Vaporshell rainjacket for like 65 dollars. I think hardshells in general are much more multi use and adaptable than heavier softshells. With that said, i really want to try Furtech or Paramo type jackets for Winter time conditions, as i've heard the breathablity can't be even touched by eVent, Neoshell, or the like.

Does anyone know if Furtech ships to the U.S.?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools