Topic

Problems with Nunatak

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Problems with Nunatak

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Ken, the OP is clearly part cyborg/part austrian from the future and sent back in time to kill Tom's reputation. I agree, he may return in 14 months, but I predict he will suddenly have turned sides and telling us UL'ers to come with him if we want to hike…light. Maybe he'll be governor one day.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I'd follow that man anywhere.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

"We go in the woods to play Robert Redford. None of us have lives."

Sure we do, we spend it online all day… ;-)

I was in the woods a couple days ago. The black pile behind the sleeping bag is my Nunatak Mukluks. They rock!
    North Country Trail

Anonymous
    Inactive

cf

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

I believe by reading this posting once again and all of the posted comments that something is amiss and maybe James you are "BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE". There seem to be part(s) of the story not clearly defined nor explained. I would think that it would be totally appropriate on your part to edit or delete your posting as I am assuming and hoping you have received your item from Nunatak with the transaction coming full circle by now. If not, I would, and the rest would be interested why?

Cheers

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

I've purchased four of Tom's pieces over time … all modified by Tom to my wishes. All top notch quality. For each & every one, Tom was very responsive. Delivery was not fast, but I fully understand these are not off the shelf pieces and most importantly, they were all worth waiting for (which is why I've gone back to him).

Edit: Cleaned up my hastily typed spelling errors

James Sogi

@zephyr1

I ordered a Kobuk hooded jacket from Nunatak in October 2012. Tom estimated 6 weeks and that it would be ready before Christmas 2012. As I said he did not even respond when I contacted him twice 6 weeks later in early December to inqure about the status of the order. The jacket was shipped 12 weeks after it was ordered by USPS express in mid January 2013 but was not actually delivered for approximately 8 more weeks. Despite requests to both the USPS and Nunatak, neither one of them was very helpful in locating the jacket. I filled out the proper USPS forms for redelivery. The delivery was very delayed. I did not get to use it for 3 of my expeditions that winter. The jacket finally arrived in mid March 2013. It is a well made jacket of high quality, but lightweight materials, and fits well. The color is not the Gun Metal gray pictured on the website. The color is a weird lavender which at this point I'm stuck with. In March upon my return from an Alaska expedition, I contacted the credit card company and told them I received the jacket and to let the charge go through. Apparently without checking with his credit card company or bank first, Tom emails me and asks me if I am going to rip him off basically accusing me of being a rip off. This was typical of his problematic negative attitude throughout the entire transaction. It was the most unpleasant experience I've ever had buying a product, much less a high end, expensive custom product. I'm not going to quote the scores of emails we had back and forth. The bottom line is I am not happy, and do not recommend Nunatak even though the product is of good quality. However the service at Nunatak was very bad.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That's not good. Thanks for the update.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

I SECOND what Ken just posted but with some questions.

"…….USPS expresses in mid January 2013 but was not actually delivered for approximately 8 more weeks.”

This is unusual for USPS and Express mail as I have done a lot of it in the past. If the Express package that was sent by Nunatak needed signature confirmation and signatures were not received at the time of the postal delivery, the postal delivery individual would have left the receiving postal box a card informing the options for delivery (the next day or post office pick up.
    Was signature confirmation needed for the package??? James did you not receive communication by Nunatak when he was sending the package and by what means? Did you receive a postal notification options for delivery at the address the package was to be delivered at?

"Despite requests to both the USPS and Nunatak, neither one of them was very helpful in locating the jacket. I filled out the proper USPS forms for redelivery. The delivery was much delayed. I did not get to use it for 3 of my expeditions that winter. The jacket finally arrived in mid March 2013”

Curious AND Confused. When were the USPS forms for redelivery filled out? Why didn’t you react sooner if you did not receive the jacket when you needed it on the day it was to be delivered? When did you place a claim OR search for the package as the postal delivery individual would have left you? Was delivery tried the following day?

"Apparently without checking with his Credit Card Company or bank first, Tom emails me and asks me if I am going to rip him off basically accusing me of being a rip off. This was typical of his problematic negative attitude throughout the entire transaction."

I'm assuming the jacket was in neither of your possessions and you had place a "stop payment" with your credit card company so Tom had vision of a worst case scenario for this transaction and the reason for his accusation…. YES?, and if you would have been in his position you would have thought likewise.

There seem to be part(s) of the story not clearly defined nor explained and as I previously said. Just maybe, your communications with Tom along with his comments and your replies created the Communication Block atmosphere that brought about your expressed observations and concerns in this thread. I'm glad you have the jacket and the quality meets your standards as the many others also before you have communicated. I believe both parties went through undue stress and anxiety that probably could and would have been alleviated with a little patience and positive communication.

David Ure

@familyguy

I have three friends that have pruchased from Nunatak and although the end product was fine with respect to quality, the order, delivery, and customer service was an issue.

Note: I have had no dealings with this company.

James Sogi

@zephyr1

When the USPS left the delivery slip after the first delivery attempt, the form was signed with instructions to leave the package. The package was not delivered for 8 weeks and the USPS web site tracking said, "Package returned to sender". Tom apparently did some checking at USPS but did not make clear to me what he did, or where the package was. He claimed not to have the product and denied that it was returned to him. Eight weeks later it was finally delivered. USPS service is very very bad and Nunatak should know that in the future. For an expensive product UPS or Fed Ex provide much better service. They don't lose packages like the postal service. This portion of the delay is the fault of USPS, but Tom did not provide help with solving the problem or informing me what he was doing displaying a lack of trust, and lack of helpfulness. Not good at all on the service aspect.

All in all more than very very unsatisfactory experience, it was downright anxiety producing and negative with the negative emails and accusations. I would not go to the trouble of posting this had it not been such a negative experience. I read another post on another board of similar problems with Nunatak delivery and honesty on communicating the status and delay.

There are other sources for custom down gear.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

"USPS service is very very bad and Nunatak should know that in the future. For an expensive product UPS or Fed Ex provide much better service. They don't lose packages like the postal service."

I've sold numerous items on gear swap and prefer to use USPS Priority Service and found them to be faster, cheaper, and just as reliable as UPS (no dealing with shipping Fed Ex). I understand that one would be upset with the overall transaction…..just hard to believe that this issue was caused by a delivery service.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"…..just hard to believe that this issue was caused by a delivery service."

I live in rural Colorado. My USPS deliveries go to a "pedestal" at the end of the road. Someone scans a package and "delivers" it to a box. If the key to that box goes to someone else instead of me it doesn't matter. It is recorded as being delivered. The Post Offices says it was delivered. They say "There is nothing we can do. Let's hope it it shows up." We do "mail exchanges" on a regular basis with our neighbors.

Worse yet, FedEX sometimes has the PO "deliver" the package. Same story, only a whole lot more finger pointing.

Believe it.

If it's important I insist on "USPS Signature Require" or UPS.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Guess what–not just FedEx but UPS is now using USPS for delivery. At least that's what happened with the last item I bought online. It was shipped via UPS but delivered by the USPS carrier. It's called "UPS Sure Post." Both seem to be used where the shipping is free.

Last fall I ordered a couple of small items from ZPacks which didn't arrive and didn't arrive. I let ZPacks know; they checked with their local PO who said wait another week or two. I waited three (got busy with other stuff). I just started to email ZPacks and then thought, "I'd better check the mailbox first." Guess what was in the mailbox!

Per the USPS online tracking record, the package had been sent to Medford, OR instead of Portland, but that happened only the day before I received it. I guess nobody will ever know where it was in the meantime.

James Sogi

@zephyr1

As a follow up to this thread, the Nunatak Kobuk jacket worked well and was very light and warm in -20 temps on a recent expedition in the Alaska Range and I am very happy with it. Despite all the problems getting the product, I'll probably buy again from him (if Tom will sell to me). I hope he works out his customer service, mailing and customer relations issues. Customers are not the enemy and I stand by my prior comments. I'm sure Tom will improve his service and communication issues. Nunatak Kobuk Jacket Alaska Range

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

Yeah tom is a one man shop, so communication can suffer when he is tyring to do everything. and hey stuff happens.

Glad you like your jacket. Dont be so hard on the color purple is in!

I love my Arc ghost that I got from him. And will be puchasing an arc alpinist soon.

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools