Topic

Problems with Nunatak

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Problems with Nunatak

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    James Sogi

@zephyr1

I ordered a jacket from Nunatak in October 2012. In December 2013 I called and emailed twice to inquire about the status, but got no response. After several attempts and several weeks go by, I notify my credit card company. Finally, several days before my trip Tom writes on January 15, and says he shipped the jacket. It was never delivered. I write asking where is the jacket? Here is his response in the email. Rather than try help locate the jacket and arrange delivery he says "Wow, I apologize for setting off your anger issues. Give respect, get respect. Again, the item was shipped, did you not receive the below.? It is waiting for you in LA. It is rare that someone is so disrespectful to me. I believe Walmart has what you need in the future." Do I need this kind of wise ass attitude to buy a jacket? This has been such an disappointment and unpleasant transaction. I will only deal with reputable gear makers in the future. I 've read about other problems with Nunatak with delays, lack of response. I suspect many other people have had problems with this guy before.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So you ordered a jacket. You waited nearly 14 months before you decide to check on its status. Is that correct? When was your credit card charged?

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

You may want to edit your dates.

joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

If you are going to quote his email and post it publicly, it is only fair to quote your entire email that he had responded to.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The facts 'mam, just the facts:

"Again, the item was shipped, did you not receive the below.?" Something go in the spam bucket?

Was your jacket "… waiting for you in LA." ?

Care to share the contents of your email to Tom?

Tom is a standup guy with a lot of credibility.
    My many interactions with him have all been excellent.

But If something is changing it would be good to know.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I don't know of many people who have had problems with Tom. I've ordered at least half a dozen items from him over the last 2-3 years, including custom mods. No issues, never had a problem with communication. I'd order from him again.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I've received great service from Tom. Like many of the small companies the communication isn't always the greatest. But when given an estimated delivery time when the order was placed it arrived on time.

BTW, great products.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've never ordered from Nunatak but I'd say the repeated LACK of responses and finally the eventual snarky response was totally unprofessional. No apologies, no offers to refund money and not even a shipping tracking number (if that was his entire response in the post).

This story puts me off ever patronizing that particular cottage industry.

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

James,

How about posting the full correspondence so we can all judge the situation. Just posting Tom's response is a little one-sided.

These smaller companies thrive off referrals and positive references, we could at least give them a fair trial before chipping away at the positive public feedback they've accrued.

I know I'd at least like the same courtesy if I were in their non-gtx trail runners.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

When I was ordering an item I hoped to be specifically sized for me, I sent an e-mail to Tom asking for some information. Within a couple hours, he had called me, and wanted to discuss the details. He beat his estimated delivery date by a good bit, and the quality of his product was excellent. I'm sure he is quite busy because people do seem to like his products, so I was impressed that he took so much effort to make me a satisfied customer.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I'd echo what everyone else has said and also add that when I contacted Tom regarding the fit on a second hand Nunatak sleeping bag that I acquired off gearswap, he took the time to answer all my questions even though it was clear that I wasn't going to be buying anything from him at that particular time. Now owning 2 nunatak products, I'd say everything about them is top-notch in terms of product quality and that it should be understandable that first-rate gear comes with a premium in both cost and wait-time.

Did he not give you an estimate of how long it would take when you first ordered? I do think it's odd that he did not let you know when it shipped and to give some form of tracking #. Did your post office not leave a delivery attempt notice on your door? Did you flip out on him? Seems to be a lot of of different things in play here.

and lastly, what year are we in!? I'm freaking out man.

Jeffrey List
    BPL Member

@jlist

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Very good dealings with Tom at Nunatak.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

James was last here about 11 months ago.
    He doesn't have PMs set up.

Way back when, we called this a sea gull attack: Swoop in, shit on someone, and leave.

I'll assume his email wasn't exactly diplomatic, and his jacket was waiting for him.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Agreed, it seems very odd to have someone be so uninvolved with a community then show up 11 months later to post something like this and then not even engage in the follow on discussion of what he posted.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Which means it is of zero consequence. A fart in the wind.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

James….Could it be, just maybe, your communications with Tom Halpin created communication blocks that brought about your expressed observations and concerns in this thread?

By reading the comments to this thread today, and inferring what would be communicated by the lurkers if written concerning Nunatak and Tom Halpin, I would say that just maybe, you have NOT communicated in the fullest your issue that brought you where you are today.

I hope by today you have received your article that was made for you. I know in the past using the USPS they are human and do make mistakes as we all do. The delivery individuals who deliver packages with confirmations also are concerned leaving packages at ones door or small mail box that cannot be securely placed and usually leave a notice where you could pick up the package OR they would deliver it the following day.

Think about it….

"You learn from your mistakes; if everything went perfectly you would learn nothing."

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

I have contacted him several times over the past 4 years or so and he has always graciously answered my questions and taken the time out of his otherwise busy day. Owned several of his quilts (stll using one) without any issues— but this seems to be a "communication" not "quality" post anyway.

I for one, would not and have not hesitated to recommend his products to others. You have to remember these cottage industry vendors do it all, thankfully in-house for the most part, so build times are estimated and communication comes at a premium price (on their end) as it takes them away from the build. He has always been very upfront about the time needed to finish your order and that fact undoubtedly has cost him business but those who wait are very pleased with their purchases.

Couch

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I posed a question to him some years back about the material in my booties. He agreed with my thoughts on their material quality/waterproofness.
    Duane

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Obviously this is not a real issue, or at least has not been reported honestly. Let the thread die so the bad press doesn't hurt Nunatak.

Replying with "My experience was good, too!" Is not as useful as saying nothing so this floats off the forum page.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

<"Let
    the thread die so the bad press doesn't
    hurt Nunatak.
    Replying with "My experience was good,
    too!" Is not as useful as saying nothing so
    this floats off the forum page."

um
    I'd disagree with that.

I think that the reported positive experiences outweigh the negative is important for Nunatak.

BPL threads which haven't been posted on for years come up highly ranked with my google searches on a subject….

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

But you felt you needed to reply anyway huh Max? ;-)

I will call BS on the OP. Like many have said, post the entire correspondence if you are going to post any of it.

I have purchased 5 items from Nunatak and while did run into a wait on one, never had any problem with communication.

Eric, what makes you jump right out and say you will never support a company based on one post from a person that you do not know? Or is this a friend that you have watched the scenario unfold with?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I agree, but there's 17 of them already.

And yeah, I grappled with that post (and this) for full minutes, but someone had to say it.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>I agree, but there's 17 of them already.

18! Go Nunatak!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"18! Go Nunatak!"

Do I hear 19? 19 going once, going twice…..

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Douglas, you drive a hard bargain.

… 19

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools