Topic

GGG 5 burnoff results and other info?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GGG 5 burnoff results and other info?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I'm sure the burnoff of woodstoves and alcohol fired stoves was a hit, but can the rest of us get some insight on how things went? The results may not be conclusive if only one "heat" was run, but how did things go or were things too close to call? Any other news, new gear, prototypes etc.? I did not attend, but I picked up the demo Borah bivy from John when I sent an email asking if a cuben bivy could be modded, got lucky on my find at a great price.
    Duane

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Duane,
    There was only one "heat" run, and only for wood-burning stoves. It was very close in the end, between the winner (he built his stove from a steel can the day before the event) and another contestant using a small battery-powered fan (air mattress inflator?) to blow air into his rig.

I had been hoping for an alcohol burn off too, but that did not occur. Hopefully next year, as I have a competition rig for the alcohol contest.competition rig

There was a secret showing of prototypes by Six Moon Designs, Borah had some tarps up, Trail Designs was showing off their new 32 oz "Monster" energy drink Caldera model, and I showed off the polycryo tarp and trekking poles that I'm marketing.tarp

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

David

We should only have 1/2 ounce fuel from the same alcohol can and have to come to full boil with 2 cups.
    Then things would get interesting.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thank you David. When things settle down (tarp/quilt buying if at all) I'll have to see about getting one of your stoves, seeing as I collect stoves. Almost to 90 now.

On fuel at the start, I don't know if it applies to all or just some alky stoves, but I seem to get better mileage by starting with more fuel than I need. Say an oz. versus starting with half an oz. Boil times are still good, just a sideline observation. Maybe when the contests are run, maybe have two divisions, one for efficiency (within a reasonable time) and for speed.
    Duane

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

This year I used standardized fuel. Everyone got a shim pack and half a petroleum jelly cotton ball. I doled out the water from the same container for everyone.

We found out that if you use a Backcountry Boiler with a Microburst blowing air into it you can boil 2 cups in 3 minutes. Like a mini forge. Hot!

The steel can and the Biolite were next to boil. The Caldera cones, one a 900ml pot and the other was a 600ml pot both came to a boil in less than 7 minutes. They were seconds apart.

The steel can was the only setup that used a windscreen. The Biolite has a fan.

Plans for next time will be a contest for all 3 "alternative" fuels. Multiple heats…

I'll take suggestions and requests. We love to burn stuff. Still waiting for someone to enter a ground fire to win.

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

I definitely would like to see a burnoff with Esbit.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Those Caldera Cone results are about what I get on bp trips. Thank you for the info.
    Duane

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

My suggestion is to have three fuel catagories:

1. Wood

2. Alcohol

3. Esbit or any other solid fuel….like tea candles

Also, I would make this a non "powered" event….no fans.

In my mind, this is about seeing the skills of each operator with their stoves.

I would even go as far as to make the wood class restricted to what sorts of fire starters they can use: items they would "normally" carry with them.

No esbit fuel tablets as a fire starter.

Fire steels…cotton balls with petroleum jelly would be okay.

Alcohol pads from the med kit would be okay.

Lighter and cotton ball, paper, etc.

I would rule out using liquid fuels like white gas and alcohol use for an alcohol stove…..the assumption is that why would carry that when you are relying on a wood burning stove for your cooking stove?

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Will get back to posting up photos tonight and see if I can manage to complete the photo essay on the GGG this week.

-Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I think we will have to have 2 categories for wood. Assisted and non assisted burns. I too carry a Microburst and would use it along with my BCB as Marc did. A 3 minute boil, why not. The Biolite has a fan. Don't forget the classic Zip stove either. That one has spawned a number of MYOG versions. Most likely I will include some PCB as fire starter. I will provide the fuels again also.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Hey, I'm a GGG burnout… Oh, wait, you said burn off. ;)

I was super impressed by how fast Mark (I think it was Mark) boiled water with a BCB. Yeah, that Microburst helped tremendously, but I've run a BCB against an Emberlit and a Firefly before, and it's just a danged good design.

I was a little disappointed by the Biolite (I was running the Biolite). The Biolite has a self-powered fan. Once it gets going, it's faster than a bat out of you-know-where, but it's a bit balky to get started. It's got a tall, narrow fire box. I find a wider, shorter fire box (or at least wider) is easier to work with. The Biolite in my so far limited experience (got it in October) is really tough to start with damp wood.

The fact that Rick with his home-made coffee can stove was able to equal or just slightly beat the Biolite is a credit to Rick's fire making skill. Rick used his Mora knife to create a lot of shavings and really prepped his fire lay well before starting his fire. Josh and Mark used Mora knives to prep their fire lays too. If we do a wood stove burn off again next year, I'm definitely bringing my Mora knife.

I do think we need two categories though: fan assisted and non-fan assisted.

An alcohol stove burn off is a cool idea too, but it's not just a matter of speed if you want a practical stove. Maybe you'd do it as least amount of fuel used to boil 2 cups in under 15 minutes or something like that. I mean it's cool to have an ultra-fast flamethrower stove, but it's going to eat fuel like no tomorrow, and no one will ever use it for backpacking.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

P.S. Hi, Duane.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Hay HJ!
    Duane

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

lol. Yeah, I'm back. Don't know how much I can be online, but I'm back.

I got a job that's in the same county, so no more 100 miles a day driving (literally, it was about 50.25 miles each way to my last employer's office). Lots of hours at the new job, but at least it's closer to home. I can't tell you how tired I was of that drive, yipes. But it was good money, which we desperately needed since I spent multiple months with no job at all.

I got really motivated at the GGG to get back on-line. Great time. Great group.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools