Topic

OR Ion Windshirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) OR Ion Windshirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gerald Magnes
    BPL Member

@gmagnes

Locale: Southeast US

Looking to get my first unlined windshirt. Anyone have any experience with the Outdoor Research Ion Windshirt?
    thanks
    Gerry Magnes
    Schenectady, NY

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

I recently purchased this product and so far I am very pleased with it. It was on sale at REI Outlet so I thought I would give it a whack. I owned one one before this and tried to seam-seal it to make a SUL waterproof rain shell. Needless to say it did not work out so well since I bought another one… :) Still the weight is right on and if you can find it on sale so is the price.

As far as fit goes I think it fits a tad small, esp if you plan to use this as a top-layer. I won't tell you what to do but I will say that if I ordered it again that I would get a size larger than what I normally order.

The hood fits really well. Typical elastic drawcord setup to make the hood fit really tight.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I haven't had enough foul-weather experience with my OR Ion to give a final verdict, but I really like it so far. Size medium was 3.5oz out of the box.

As for sizing, I normally wear medium/small shirt sizes. I can layer a medium Ion over a t-shirt, microfleece pullover, and medium Thermawrap jacket without any pinching. I would buy a medium again. It does not fit closely like the Marmot Ion, but a bit more casual like a Montane Featherlite.

-Mark

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I also like my OR Ion, which I also purchased from the REI outlet, but I have to dissagree on the hood.
    I have what is by most accounts a large head, but this hood is huge, and the closure is funky.
    I would rather have a regular sweatshirt-like hood draw string (like micropore, rainsield, etc.)
    Having the drawstring across the back of the head means sleeping with the hood on can be uncomfortable.

Otherwise, I'm a fan, and I can layer mine over a synthetic-fill hooded REI Gossamer, and a Golite down vest.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Gerry, I've been using the OR Ion for the past couple of months and like it a lot. That's it in my avatar photo. It does a good job of blocking the wind while having decent breathability. The brimmed hood fits well and is adjustable. The 14" zipper doesn't snag. My size M weighs 3.5 oz. It's probably the best deal out there right now in quality windshirts.

There's another thread on the OR Ion(not to be confused with the Marmot Ion) a month or two back that will give you some more perspectives.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

I also have the OR Ion that I purchased from REI. I have found it to be fairly windproof but breathability is not quite as good as I had hoped. The breathability may improve with washng, but at this point I have not washed mine.

I also recently purchased a Patagonia Houdini Wind Shirt based upon comments here at BPL. From my experience thus far, I would have to say that the Houdini breathes much better than the OR Ion. I have both in Large and I think that the Houdini may weigh about 0.1oz more than the Ion. Given the choice of one to carry, I would select the Houdini (but it is much more expensive, especially when the Ion is purchased on clearance). Additionally, though I am able to layer under the Ion, it is not nearly as easy to put on (a little tighter fit) as the Houdini (which has a full zip).

Rich

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools