Topic

Ensure Shakes any good

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Ensure Shakes any good

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Just picked up a case of Ensure at Costco today. Wondering if I can use it as breakfast shake for 2-3 night trips.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Just picked up a case of Ensure at Costco today. Wondering if I can use it as breakfast shake for 2-3 night trips."

You bet. Even better, IME, is to use the powdered version mixed 2 parts Ensure to 1 part Nido full fat milk powder. It's lighter and mixes up just fine. I've been using it in the afternoon as a recovery drink with excellent results. No reason I can think of why it wouldn't be just as good in the morning. The Nido gives it a richer taste and adds both protein and calories, but Ensure by itself should work too.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I had tried the vanilla-flavored Ensure powder, and it seemed decent. Then, as I passed through my regular supermarket the other day, by the Ensure shelf, the sign said "Buy One, Get One Free," so I did.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

When I was young, my Grandfather had a number of strokes and lived on Ensure via a feeding port for years. That stuff always smelled so nasty to me. They must have added a lot of flavoring/sugar to it if you all can drink it ;-)

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Sorry folks, what I picked up is the Kirkland Shake( Costco house brand) and is compared to Ensure. I had one drink today morning and it tasted nice like a Vanilla flavored Ice cream.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"When I was young, my Grandfather had a number of strokes and lived on Ensure via a feeding port for years. That stuff always smelled so nasty to me. They must have added a lot of flavoring/sugar to it if you all can drink it ;-)"

Some of us are almost as old as your grandad, and are down right fond of it. The best thing is you don't have to chew it. ;0)

Feeding port?? Is that what you young'uns call a mouth these days? We used to call it a pie hole, but feeding port, that's a new one.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

It's classier than "maw" ;-) Although I am fond of "pie hole"…lol!

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Tom,

My wife just told me that she was putting the last of the Ensure into our pantry as I type this edit. ROTFLMAO

Ain't it funny how things just happen with perfect timing?

Party On,

Newton

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I believe that this is what Sarah is referring to in her post.

Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy or PEG tube."

John,

I thought you knew better than to take me seriously? ;0)

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Tom,

My bad. I should have known from Sarah's reply. :-0

Watch for the disappearing post as soon as I can edit my other post.

At my age the brain cells have to run towards each other just to get close enough to accomplish a single thought.

Also at my age Ensure in the chocolate variety is great!

My apologies for doubting your sensitivity.

Party On,

Newton

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

does ensure work as a shake to give some energy on the trails like Hammer Perpetuem? I have 31 containers sitting in my kitchen right now :-)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ensure shakes…

Sure, go drink about 10 of them and will start shaking.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"At my age the brain cells have to run towards each other just to get close enough to accomplish a single thought."

Wait until you get my age and they run right past each other. It ain't a pretty sight, John. This is sort of how it feels:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xv1tMioGgXI?rel=0

"Also at my age Ensure in the chocolate variety is great!"

At my age I can't tell the difference.

"My apologies for doubting your sensitivity."

Not to worry; I was just jerking your chain. It what old farts do when they want attention. Worked, too. ;0)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

It's OK. I am turning 40 in less than a month. I'll be an Old Fart finally ;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"does ensure work as a shake to give some energy on the trails like Hammer Perpetuem? I have 31 containers sitting in my kitchen right now".

I don't see why not. At 17 grams of carbs, 4.5 grams of protein, and 4.5 grams of fat/dry oz, it is in the ball park. Perpetuem has ~22 grams of carbs, ~3 grams of protein, and ~2 grams of fat/dry oz, by way of comparison. From my experience and what I have read, the Ensure is a little heavy on the fat and protein, and light on the carbs, for eating while on the move, but not enough to make a huge difference. Why not give it a try and let us know how it turns out? I, for one, would be very interested in your experience. The upside to using Ensure is that you get 13 more calories/dry oz, but slightly less carbs to help burn body fat. This should not be a big deal, IMO. It is also cheaper than Perpetuem if you get a store brand, like Walgreens.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Ain't it funny how things just happen with perfect timing?"

Women have a knack for that kind of thing. Mine puts it right next to my Depends, and swears it's because she stores things in alphabetical order. :(

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I am turning 40 in less than a month. I'll be an Old Fart finally"

It ain't quite that easy, Young Lady. There are certain qualifications to be met, having to do with tonality, duration, and aromatic complexity, before you can be admitted as a member of the women's auxiliary of the brotherhood in good standing.

You also have to memorize the words to the song in the link posted above. ;0]

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

And then there's the flip side of being an old fart, not being able to trust one!

:-)” height=”253″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1360203661_75487.jpg” width=”200″ />

L O L

Party On,

Newton

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Lol……….

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

>> It's OK. I am turning 40 in less than a month. I'll be an Old Fart finally

I sort of remember being 40…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

According to my 15 year old I am ancient. I think some of you know that one ;-)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools