Topic

MLD liteSoul bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD liteSoul bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Has anyone here used this? im interested in it because even with wide and long options the bivy only weighs 4.8oz
    BMW vapr NANO bivy 5.4oz in size large.

I would probably only go for the long option giving me a 4.5oz bivy, almost a whole ounce off the BMW

cheaper too

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

It seems kinda weird that there would be that much difference in the weight of the two bivies. The MLD bivy has a momentum top that has a finished weight per square yard that Ron claims is the same as pertex quantum which the BMW bivy top is made of. Both bivies also have cuben bottoms that I would assume have similar finished weights per square yard. So I wonder where the weight difference comes from? I would be inclined to believe the posted weights for both bivies because of the companies that make them have such good reputations. Maybe the cut of the MLD bivy tapers a lot more at the foot end compared to BMW bivy.

I have a MLD superlight bivy on order and should recieve it in a few weeks. If you are still interested in the MLD bivy I will give you feed back on my bivy.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Yes, you won't go wrong with either the MLD or the Oware made BMW bivvies from a quality or design standpoint. Personally, I have the somewhat heavier but more robust Soul Bivy, which has performed very well for me. The cut, although tapered, has sufficient room for my normal Winter bag setup. The Lite bag may be even more tapered to save weight in keeping with it's use of the lightest materials, so check the dimensions to make sure it will work for you. I think that Ron of MLD gives a little more value and extras including custom mods with his products—but, then again, you're dealing directly with the manufacturer.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

I just got back from my first trip w/ the LiteSoul. It is considerably narrower than the BMW Vapr, esp in the footbox. I used a Nunatak Arc Alpinist and it made for an efficient fit. Anything much loftier would only get compressed. I'm 5'9" and if I had it to do over I'd have Ron make it a few inches longer. The bivy doesn't quite cover up to my neck, leaving maybe 2-3" of bag exposed when the bivy is unzipped. This may be due to my bag's lofty footbox. Also I think the LiteSoul's hood is deeper than the Vapr's; in other words, the zipper is placed lower.

EDIT: Noticed a pretty drastic price change on the LiteSoul since I bought mine – see MLD's website.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

I've noted spec changes on the Soul bivy from when I got mine. It's now listed as having the same dimensions as the Light Soul. My bivy is wider.

Ron's prices used to be cheaper than BMW but now they are about par on equivalent offerings (if you are a BPL member).

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Hi All,

I've adjusted a few specs on all the bivys.

All the girth/length dimensions of all models are the same. The foot girth was increased from 46" to 50". The length of the regular size is now about 2" longer. All the weights went up a few tenths of an ounce to reflect the size increase.

FYI: The weight of the built-in zippered bug net in the Soul and Soul Side zip models are included in the base weight.

The LiteSoul now comes (no extra charge) with the seperate bug head net and can be specified as short, wide, long or wide and long for the same base price.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Ron

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Thanks, Ron. I think those are great moves.

Now, when are those new shelters coming out? :-)

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

All I want is an EVENT top, cuben bottom bivy that's *just* big enough like the Montbell bag cover I've been using. Draw cord opening, turn over if it rains.

I am seriously thinking about an MLD Alpine bivy for my winter racing next year though. In wide and long for my -25 WM bag.

The Montbell bag cover weighs 6.29oz. If I could drop to 4 oz that would be great.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools