Topic

AT 2 Person Gear list.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists AT 2 Person Gear list.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John Gallaspy

@johng5

So, My girlfriend and I are steadily approaching the day when we get to summit Springer Mountain. Luckily, the wait is only 45 days and we on track with our preparations. I'd love to hear the commentary on a the gear list. I have concern about the cold and how well my cold weather gear will keep up.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuXMGfm53PnydGJiWHdYTV9qM1VxNUNJdGQzUFNLQWc&output=html

I am so close and probably cannot devote much more money to gear, but I'd take any suggestions.

Thanks

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Skip the grapeseed stuff. Sawyer is plenty

skip the base pants for summmer, you have rain pants if it's cold. bump them for the Whites

can skip the stuff sack for your sleeping bag if you stuff it in the liner bag.

I would get at least some shell mittens for the beginning in the south and then in the whites when it is cold.

First aid essentials for AT.. moleskin or leukotape for blisters. Hand sanitizer for after privy visits and touching shelter registers.

AWOL guide… White mountains map is also useful when you get up here.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

When you're first starting (and the days are shorter) you might want a headlamp that you can use to hike at night. The Petzl e-Lite is a great little headlamp for camp chores, but it's not going to help you if you need to be on the trail at night.

Put the e-Lite in a box that you'll pick up somewhere in VA and carry a stronger headlamp to start.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Mid-march could be a bit early to start with a 32F rated sleeping bag. Ditto a thermawrap as your only insulation layer could be on the chilly side. Ground insulation could also be a little low; you might consider adding a thinlight 1/4" to put on top, mail that home when you no longer need it (I assume you sleep on the pack to augment the short neo-air). Starting in late Feb in 2010 I had a 20F sleeping bag and slept with a fairly beefy down parka inside it, and folks around me had lower rated bags than I. In Pearisburg I swapped to a Summerlite and that worked great for the rest of the trip.

Is this intended as a totally complete list? Or a work in progress?
    I suggest that you review other lists folks have posted for similar trip starts and make sure to review for completeness. Things like a toothbrush. A hat (or two). A camera perhaps. I'm not going to think off hand of everything that looks to be "missing" — you need to do that.

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I thru-hiked the trail a couple of years ago. Your list looks really good. I would agree with the comment about the e-lite. You will inevitably night hike at some point and the e-lite will be pretty dim for that. I used a similar light at first but the biggest reason I switched to a brighter headlamp was because I couldn't bear bag at night with the one I had. You need a light bright enough to see a branch 30 ft away. Also, the coin batteries are a little tough to find on the AT. I'd disagree with the comment about the long johns. It's true you won't need them very often, but I changed into mine whenever I was completely wet. It's so nice to know that you always have dry long johns and a dry wind shirt to change into. I wouldn't bother with dish soap. You won't end up using it after a few days. I just rinsed my pot and drank the water I used. Otherwise, my biggest recommendation would be a book or, ideally, a Kindle. I bought a kindle part way though my trip because my buddy had one. Best piece of gear I had.

John Gallaspy

@johng5

Thanks for the input.
    I've got a slightly bright petzl lamp that will more than likely make it into my pack.
    I've been slow to transcribe what I have to what's online. First aid kit should be more personal choice imo.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

With all the signs pointing to a later and cold winter I'd suggest upping the insulation with either a warmer bag (1st choice) or more layers.

When I thru'd in 2011 – I started March 29th and hit multiple days at 18* (not just in the GSMNP either). I had a 35* WM Caribou and Thermawrap jacket and pants with fleece cap and gloves and socks and was in a bivy and was still cold….wind was like 20-40 mph many of the nights. Just a thought – but I'd go with a 20* bag and then switch out to a 35* in Pearisburg.

Good idea about the brighter headlamp and ditching the soap / grape extract. All good advice so far. Enjoy the adventure and remember to never turn down free food!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools