Topic

Adjustable Titanium Goat Pole

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adjustable Titanium Goat Pole

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I received word from the folks at Titanium Goat that the new ADJUSTABLE Carbon Fiber Goat Poles should be in a little earlier than expected. Check with them in about two weeks or so. At 6.4oz they'll be hard to beat.
    http://www.titaniumgoat.com/poles.html

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

John-

I've seen a pair of these and they are super-cool…light, stiff, bomber, and actually lock CONSISTENTLY tight after adjustment. It seems a lot of carbon poles are failing with the standard approach of an internal plastic expansion nut to lock the carbon shaft into place. DI'd say the Ti-Goats are definately worth a look.

Brian

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Has Ti goat fixed the handle problems with their poles?

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

"Has Ti goat fixed the handle problems with their poles?"

Yes, it appears that glue has a positive effect on the retention of the grip ;-)

There were only about 7 or 8 pairs that shipped without the handles getting glue.

Josh (Tigoat)

Perrin Lindelauf
    BPL Member

@kalten

Locale: Who Knows - Can't Read the Signs

Has anyone tried these out? BPL review in the works?

John Haley

@quoddy

I'm waiting for a set of the adjustables as soon as they're ready, but was told a couple of days ago that one supplier has not yet come through with a vital item…. so none of the "production models" are available yet.

John Haley

@quoddy

I just received word that the first batch of Ti Goat adjustable Carbon Fiber poles at 6.4oz PER PAIR are available. My order went in tonight.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Curse you! You suck!

(Just sent in an email wanting a set.)

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Josh,
    Why did you guys choose nylon tips for the titanium tent stakes? Seems that would dull or break very easily. Sorry to hijack this thread..

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Brett

The pointy end that penetrates the ground is aluminum, the "head" is nylon.

Adjustable trekking poles: These items may be a "get on the list" item for a while. They have proven to be far more labor intensive than origionaly anticipated, and there are a couple of components that are either machined to spec (one that our contractor cant seem to get right), or have just been harder to come by than we thought they would be. All of this should get better with time and effort. For now we have enough poles for those that got them selves on the list, and we are currently shipping to those folks. So…. I hate to say it, but get your self on the list, the next batch should go quicker.

Josh Leavitt
    Titanium Goat

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Josh:

Just to be sure, can you let me know if you got my email? Thanks!

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Ben

Got it, you should be getting a confirmation email tomorrow, and we do have a pair of poles set aside for you.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Josh!

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

Guess what came in the mail today? (One of the many benefits of living in Yellowstone National Park is getting mail from Titanium Goat and BPL in two days.)

The poles seem great so far. The adjustment mechanism is quite simple and ingenious: standard plastic expanders have been swapped out for rubber pieces that are expanded slightly when the pole is screwed in. So, instead of shattering the shafts, the adjuster mechanism hangs on by sticky friction and (at least it seems to me) a bit of a vacuum effect. I put a lot of weight on the poles — as much of my body weight as possible without both feet leaving the ground. I noticed no significant warping. Heavy side-to-side pressure made the shafts bend a bit, but this is to be expected from CF shafts, and the poles seemed far above average in terms of strength. Most importantly, the adjustment mechanism was completely solid: no slippage whatsoever.

The handles are comfy and well-glued in place. The tips are standard, a good thing for repairs and using baskets if you have some available.

Best of all, these things are LIGHT. So light. I'm almost giddy at the thought of using something so light on the trail.

I'll be taking these on a 30+ mile hike from July 4-6 — Heart Lake, the Mt. Sheridan Summit, down to the South Boundary trail, along the Snake, and out at the South Entrance — and I'll be sure to let everyone know how they work for me. I expect great results.

Thanks Titanium Goat!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good for you, Miles — and thanks for posting your first impressions. I look forward to your gear report when you come back from your trip. Happy hikes!

John Haley

@quoddy

Just curious… when others received their TiGoat adjustables did you think as I did, "Where's the other half
    of each pole?". They were so compact and light as I took them out of the box today that visually I couldn't believe I was looking at a complete working pole until I extended them. Their strength and rigidity are great. The locking system is rock solid and ingenious. They have a real quality look about them. Used them to climb the 1000' ridge behind my house… I'm REALLY impressed.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools