Topic

Beer Gear ;-)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Beer Gear ;-)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Ultralighters are recyclers. This thread was inspired by the thread on using material from two Fosters cans as windscreen material.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72679&skip_to_post=619715#619715

Don Hitchcock's Roundpod

http://donsmaps.com/stoves.html

Zelph's Fosters Pot

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-2-cup-flat-bottom.php

Bud Cat Stove

…and…

Mini Fancee Feest Clone stove

These MYOG aluminum beer bottle stoves serve as their own pot stands.

Heineken Can Pots

http://tinyurl.com/ag7kpgd

Note: For the above link…
    Click on cookware under the accessories header and scroll down. The tiny URL and the original mile long link did not go directly to the picture. ;-?

Show us your bought and paid for or MYO – Beer Gear.

Party On,

Newton

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Here are some of my MYOG can pots. Still experimenting to see if blackening all or part of the cans helps absorb heat to increase efficiency and reduce boil times.can pots

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Too bad, I was hoping this thread was about the lightest way to get 24oz of Brewski into the wilderness..

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Max,

" I was hoping this thread was about the lightest way to get 24oz of Brewski into the wilderness."

It was an unexpected surprise on our last outing, but my hiking buddy carried two 16oz cans in his pack all day. He pulled them out after we set up camp and began to cook supper.

Simple answer, let someone else carry it. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"Too bad, I was hoping this thread was about the lightest way to get 24oz of Brewski into the wilderness.."

No, it's about how to justify drinking beer to create raw material for backpacking equipment : )

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Invest in pack goats.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Or try this. (assuming they get the alcohol permits)

http://www.patsbcb.com

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Travis, I read Pat's website a couple of weeks ago. I commend his innovation but I think it will be impractical for any group fewer than four. Did you look at his video on producing carbonated drinks? I think we beer drinkers will have to go through the same drill.

Richard

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Richard, I agree that it looks a bit fiddly, and they misspelled time "lapse" twice in the video. Sorry, had to complain. :P However, I think if you were well practiced, it wouldn't seem that bad.

While this would for sure be a luxury item for UL'ers, it doesn't seem like the weight penalty would be too high. Besides the concentrate and powder mix, you have the bottle, which could easily substitute for your regular water bottle. I'm interested to hear how the beer reviews end up.

My apologies to John for the thread drift. (but I guess It's still "Beer Gear!")

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Travis,

No problem. ;-)

Beer Hauler

…and…

3 pack

Party On,

Newton

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

jkhfhg

Dustin Smith

@dsmith87

Locale: Bethesda, MD

There's always the Burton Beeracuda. Might be a little unwieldy but could always be strapped to a pack. Beeracuda

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

A buddy and I packed in 12 glass bottles of beer 10 miles in a few hours to a camspite on Glastenbury Mountain in VT. The next day, we trekked 12 empties another fifteen. He carried a lot more than I did, but at the time, he was the backpacker and I was just the bike tourist…

We made a thru-hiker's night, though.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Homer is learning to pack-raft.

Homer goes pack-rafting

If you see this man pack-rafting stay upstream! ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

I've loaded my pit bull up with 8 beers in his doggy backpack. I also love that there are good quality microbrews in cans now.

-loki

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Years ago on a solo thru hike from Kearsarge Pass to Mt. Whitney on the JMT, as I was setting up camp near my exit point at Whitney Portal, a day-hiking couple coming down from the peak passed my camp. The lady was limping. Her boyfriend said she had twisted her ankle and needed an ace bandage, for which he would gladly trade the six pack of beer he was carrying. It appeared to be the only thing they had brought with them. Luckily for me I had an extra ace bandage. All I had to carry was the empty cans downhill the next day.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Next, Newton will be trying to show us a custom lid made from a snuff can top.

–B.G.–

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Hi Bob,

The snuff can lids are too small for cook pot lids but…

;-)” height=”348″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1360018259_75367.jpg” width=”496″ />

Do you take clip-ons or pierced? ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Newton, somehow I knew that you would not disappoint us.

–B.G.–

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools