Topic

President’s Day weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips President’s Day weekend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Anyone interested in either a snow shoe trip or ??

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I am! Does Pennsylvania work for you?

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I'm in for whatever

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@ Doug…..yeah…point taken :)
    @ Marc, excellent! I would prefer a snow trip but I am game if you have any ideas.

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

I'm available that weekend, but I don't have snow gear. If its not the snow, I would like to join.

-Frank

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

How about Ventana Wilderness/Arroyo Seco off HWY 101 and King City? A 12 mile out and back with no snow.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

That could work Jay.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

We also have a snow preference (gear bias), but Angela and I should be in.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Frank
    Are you lacking snow clothing or shelter/ sleeping bag? If it's the latter would you be interested in borrowing some?

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I can't go that weekend but I might be able to help with a 15 degree bag. It's synthetic, but only slept in 5 nights at Whitney Portal and should be adequate.

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

@Kat

I'm lacking a sleeping bag. The quilt I have is only rated to 30 degrees. I've got a Duomid that I think will work.

I can come up with clothing.

-Frank

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Frank,
    I have a Montbell SS 2 rated at 20, and you are welcome to use it. I also have Exped Down mats, Neoair, Ridgerest, GG pad. You are welcome to any of that as well.
    With spring coming before long, I would like to get one or two more outings in the snow…

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

@Kat,

Thanks for the offering of gear, but I think I'm going to pass on the snow.

If It ends up being a non-snow trip. I'll join.

Thanks

-Frank

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks to Marc we've come up with a plan.
    Carson Pass to Lake Winnemucca, about 5 miles round trip.
    Snowpark permits are required and can be purchased online at [email protected]
    Or in person at the Forest Service in Pioneer on Friday. Office is closed Saturday and Sunday. 5$ per night per vehicle.
    Some of us would like to head up early Friday morning.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Down to two of us going in Saturday 16 to Gilmore and maybe after getting camp set up, hit Tallac for some views of Tahoe and pics.
    Duane

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Duane,

Are you going to ski Mt. Tallac? It's very do-able, and much more fun than trudging down.

DavidClimbing Mt. Talac

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

'Shoeing down. I don't have XC skis and not gonna pack my Alpine stuff that far. Never seem like I have that bit of extra money to get skis. No snowmobile now, so I can get some other form of recreation now I guess. Looks like three, maybe four of us now and one PM from a BPL person. Not sure how to reach him.
    Duane
    hikerduane at aaahawk dot com

PS, musta been a previous poster. Leaving from the SnoPark by Taylor Creek, a little north of the turnoff to Fallen Leaf Lk and Spring Creek Rd

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Hey Duane,
    Are you part of the posted trip or is yours a separate deal?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Kat, I thought I'd throw another trip out if no one else was going on yours. I hope I did not step on any skis. Looks like three of us that weekend to Tallac, a steep climb. Enjoy your trip. One trip I was on to Winnemucca, we had two feet of snow over night and had to shovel our vehicles out of the north SnoPark. Left there about 5 in the evening.
    Duane

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

We have work on Friday, but expect to drive over early Saturday for the route to Lake Winnemucca. Still debating skis or snowshoes, but leaning towards renting some metal-edged XC skis.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@ Duane, no problem at all, I was just confused.
    @ Jeremy, we'll see you there. Hopefully we'll have a nice kitchen set up by then

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

I'm curious: what is the hike/snowshoe like to Lake Winnemuca? Elevation gain? Navigation?

I'm a newb to snow camping, and really wanted to try it this year, but haven't been able to make any of these trips (though, oddly enough, I'll be at Kirkwood skiing that weekend.) I'm putting together a small list of places for a potential trip in late Feb/early March with a friend (yes, he's experienced). Any info appreciated! Thx.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Hey Charles,
    I have not been there before. Here is a link to someone's now trip there
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesWinnemucca.html

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Is anyone staying Sunday night and leaving Monday since it's a holiday weekend?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've been there many times. Here is a map that shows the start at 8600 feet, and the lake at 9000 feet. If you start out trying to find the summer trail, it will be steep. Instead, you contour a little lower to the west and curve around.

topo map, Carson Pass to Lake Winnemucca

–B.G.–

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools