Topic

WInd River Route

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning WInd River Route

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

After having recently spent a month in Lander WY I had an idea for navigating a route through the Winds, south to north. My plan overall is to carry a GPS with me, mark numerous waypoints along the way. I would really like to see this "route" become established eventually and hopefully inspire some people to take a bit longer trip into the Winds than intended.

Problem: I don't know the first thing about the area. This summer I will have 3 weeks figure the route out, navigating passes and weighing out which route makes the most since. My vision is to have this route be similar to the Sierra High route. I don't mind hiking on trails that make the journey more convenient, but i would like the route to primarily stay above tree line or atleast close to it.

I would love to hear any input you guys have on the route, as well as accounts of people who have hiked the range in the past. I would prefer to hike the trail south to north, but am not opposed to doing it north to south either.

side note: If anyone would be interested in going on this endeavor with me, please pm me and we can discuss dates, transportation, etc.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

"Wandering Daisy" is working on an update to her book to emulate Roper's HSR in the Winds. You may ask her how far she has come.
    Her book.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Another good reference is Beyond Tails by Nancy Pallister. [edit: same as above.]

Be aware that although maps show just a few trails throughout the Winds there is a veritable maze of routes used by sheepherders, horse packers, NOALS, and other adventuresome souls. I would hazard a guess and say that whatever route you have "arm chaired" with Google has been done, in part or whole, far more than once. Many of them are already GPSed and on online.

The wonder of the Winds, like the Sierras, is that there is a Lot of backcountry and many routes that are accessible to those who are good with map skills and confident in their ability to improvise.

Don't give up your quest. Just realize that a many folks have been wandering around the Winds for a long time, but not routinely broadcasting where they've been or how they got there. And that leaves a little bit of adventure left for the rest of us.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Thanks for the reference Greg. I talked with a bunch of people from NOLS when i was up there and they gave me some advice on some routes, and they truly do run all over that entire range. My goal is not necessarily to attract more people but rather to give people who arent as handy with a map and compass a way to navigate through the Winds. The trails through the southern Winds seem to be quite plentiful but the northern central Winds seem to be much more remote,( i have been told that by numerous instructors), and that is where i would like to focus on touching all the key passes/peaks in order to complete a breathtaking route. Do you know of any trips specifically that are GPSed?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Yes.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

Here's a pretty outstanding 65 mile route, was done South to North

Gone With the Wnds

Mike Schasch
    BPL Member

@mschasch

This route we did last year is what we were calling a mini Sierra High Route.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/37344

Lots of cross country (pretty easy stuff), hits a lot of the highlights of the range. We hiked it north to south, skipping the Boneville Basin section due to some food stealers (pikas).

I did a short TR somewhere on this site.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Sounds like it was a beautiful hike, thanks for sharing, that helps a bunch!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools