Topic

hexamid pitching limited?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) hexamid pitching limited?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

Does any current or previous owner feel limited by the pitching/guyline options on the hexamid? I'm considering making the switch and am a little hesitent due to this. With my duomid, its as simple as say: moving a stake if there's a rock, or elevating 2 corners, using linelocs, etc. The descriptions of the hexamid leave me with the impression you have a fixed guyline distance, and for optimal pitch you adhere to those lengths (since length would determine angle). Frankly I've seen some rather poor (sagging) hexamid pitches online, and hoping that's just inexperience.

Do you find it hard to get a taught pitch in less than optimal situations with the hexamid (specifically)?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"The descriptions of the hexamid leave me with the impression you have a fixed guyline distance, and for optimal pitch you adhere to those lengths (since length would determine angle)."

Fixed lengths are guidelines for an optimal set, yes. But there is no reason not to have longer lines, except weight.

On my (cuben, no stretch) Plus I have long lines, each with a fixed loop at the end, and I added LineLocks at the pull-outs (horrors, More weight?!) to make things easier for me. I did this for All of the lines, just so I could move a stake to avoid a rock or other obstacle.

It seems like every pitch has at least one line that requires several attempts before I get a stake in. I swing a small arc, and if that doesn't do it I move out and try again, and again, till I get it.

It's fast and when I'm done with a pitch the Plus is Tight. I only have about 40 nights on it along the JMT, the Winds, and in Colorado, so there are still opportunities for a poor pitch. But I'm guessing it won't be due to line and staking issues.

YMMV

Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

Greg, that's very insightful…what linelocs are you using?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

LineLock

They can be found Here, and other places.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Yes, so site selection is critical. I have fixed lines and a fixed pole, so my options are almost nil — but I figure I can get creative if necessary.

One night Wisner and I had to sleep on a small sand bench to get some protection from extreme wind. He had a tent so he needed to set up first given the small area and his tent dimensions. I wanted a little space between the front of our shelters so we could move around. Ended up with 4 stakes under some large bushes, and some brush under a small part of the Hexamid. Worked well.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I've found a quick knot in the guyline works, and it can be done very fast, im not sure what the knot is called though.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

A Linelock is simply a personal preferences on how to get things done.

A taut-line hitch works well and precludes the need for a LineLock.

TaughtLineHitch

The take-away is that long lines are OK, and that getting a tight pitch is not difficult.

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

I use the micro line locs that z-packs sells. They are lighter than the lineloc3.
    Micro Line Loc

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

You really cannot change the angles on the hexamid and keep a taught pitch on all sides including the beak.

without the beak, you might have more options

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"You really cannot change the angles on the hexamid and keep a taught pitch on all sides including the beak."

Well, maybe you can't, but I think many can.

Especially with silnylon with its ability to stretch. Cuben is less forgiving, but I can assure you that with longer lines not even close to perpendicular to a pullout I can get a tight pitch, including the storm beak.

Is it postcard pitch? No.
    Is it tight and storm worthy? Yes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The beak guy is designed to loop over the apex guy and tightened with the toggle provided or using a taut line hitch, as described above, and slide up and down the apex guy. this wil give maximum extension of the beak and an all around taut pitch of the tent. This works well with the the solo especially. I have seen some fairly sloppy pitches of the double hex. I can't tell the difference between the the solo and the plus without a close-up look.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools