Topic

2 new packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2 new packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Finished these up last weekend. Both are (mostly) a full dyneema/cuben laminate. Lots more details and pictures here.asgd

adfg

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

You're good, Brendan, really good. Those are sweet looking packs. Now I'm wishing I'd picked up some DX-40 when you offered it.

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Great looking packs Brendan, very well done! Is the dyneema/cuben material you used on the front and sides from Cubic?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Thanks Gary. I do have 3 yds of DX40 left ;)

Chris, it's not from Cubic. I'm not sure the supplier wants it advertised, but it was from a pack company who uses it. It wasn't hard to find/acqure (just to decide if it was worth it…). In the end I was confident enough to know what I wanted and what works after a few years of using my own packs…and I was pretty damn curious to try it out.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Those packs look great. Congratulations.

I'm interested in this material. I don't want you to feel any pressure to share the name of the source, but can you tell us a little about the material? Does this laminate have a pure woven dyneema face fabric on it, or a dyneema/polyester (as in the DX40) face fabric, or dyneema reenforcement inside the laminate? Is is laminated to polyester (mylar) film? What is the weight of the material?

Edit: Sorry, I just followed the link you posted (which I overlooked before), and some of my questions are answered there. I gather that the material was MADE by Cubic but you acquired it from somewhere else.

Nice work. The craftsmanship and the clean simplicity of these designs are impressive.

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

Locale: Cascadia

Didn't get the fabric from me! :>)

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Nice looking pack. Be sure to do a long term report on the material. I'm interested if it is worth it. I really like the way dyneema wears, but it is just so expensive. I don't know if the cost is worth it. Please let us know how it compares.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Looks great.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Colin, thanks and let me know if any of your questions weren't answered.

Michael D, I'll definitely do an update. The full dyneema is probably overkill and not worth the price for most unless you're pack is frequently in contact with rock or you're carrying sharp things (skis, etc) on your pack.

Michael W, weights and dimensions are listed in the (difficult to see) link above. The big one is 26.5 oz and the smaller one is 16.4 oz.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice packs! I'm a bit jealous.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools