Topic

Small bug netting plans/ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Small bug netting plans/ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Can someone direct me to a thread with good ideas/issues/plans for a small inner tent of sorts that can be hung from a MLD Patrol? I'm thinking what I have come across so far is either too expensive or heavy. (MLD net tent or Borah standard size bivy) Looking to make something to hang a short distance above my body so if I need to hang a leg out of my sb, I can without mosquitoes getting me. Which weight is best? 1 oz. or .7 oz work fine? Thinking at most I need 3 yards for head to toe and draping some over my head. Looking for maybe a final product weight under 3oz, just guessing there, which would be half the weight of a Borah bivy. I'll take a look at some of the ready-made bug bivys for ideas.
    Duane

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

To go as light as you're thinking you likely need to go to tulle, which you can buy at any big box fabric store. You could either sew it or simply drape it over you, using a hang of some kind above your head. It's very cheap to buy but also rips easily so you'll need to handle with care. I have a bug sock of tulle for my hammock and it weigh 2.6 oz.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Never heard of it, I'll have to do some research on that then. I envy Alameda Frank, he can do with a 3oz. tarp and no bug netting, the bugs don't mess with him. Here I'm trying to get under 12 oz. or so for a secure shelter. Everyone wants so much money. By the time I get all the pieces here, I may be better off with the Zpacks solo Hexamid with netting and beak.
    Duane

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I got a response from John at Borah, made me a nice offer on a demo bivy, exactly what I wanted. It was demoed at GGG. Part of my puzzle acquired.
    Duane

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools