Topic

Shoes for a narrow footed guy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shoes for a narrow footed guy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Sean Fletcher

@risen19

Have to finish up my gear list and shoes are one of the last things. I've got narrow feet, size B or lower end of C according to REI. I've been to REI twice to try on different shoes and I haven't found a pair that fit just right. They all feel a little 'off' if that makes any sense. It also doesn't help my left foot is slightly smaller than my right.

For those out there with narrow feet what do you do? I've heard recommendations of (embarrassingly enough) buying women's' shoes in a large size?
    Has that worked? I finally picked up some Brooks Cascadia 7s but they're Width D and I would like them a little more narrow so I don't have to where socks as thick.

Your thoughts?

Sean

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

I don't have a clue what all that stuff about width sizing for shoes it but a lot of guys with wider feet complain about how narrow inov8 shoes are.

I find them a perfect fit but I think I have quite narrow feet too. If you can try some on I would definitely recommend them! I have a pair of f-lite 195's, some mudroc 295's and bare-x lite 150's. For dry, not to rocky terrain I love the f-lites and for when it rains in the UK (quite often) or when i'm running on snow I go for the mudrocs because of the more WR upper and the awesome tread. The other pair are a road shoe.

Give them a try, even if you've never tried minimalist shoes before!

YMMV.

Sean Fletcher

@risen19

I have read that the Invo8 were a good fit for narrow feet but I don't want to go minimalist. Last time I did that I hurt the bottom of my feet so bad I couldn't do any activity for a month! And that was taking it slow!

For staying on my feet for many hours a day I want something with more cushion.

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Sean, I have a narrow foot and I've had good luck with the Salomon XA Pro 3D shoes

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have canoes as well. I stick with New Balance shoes paired up with Spenco Cross Trainer insoles. Every time I cheat on them I immediately regret it. They fit my narrow feet well and I like their stability. My most recent pair of running shoes are 990s which are great for my over-pronation (albeit not a trail shoe). They have several trail runner options worth considering.

I just bought the Superfeet insoles (the green ones) from REI and they seem to be a bit wider than what I prefer but in fairness I haven't tried them out on the trail yet.

Thx for the heads up on Inov8. I need to check them out.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Inov8 (performance last), Salomon, and La Sportiva generally fit narrow feet. Varies by model, obviously. All make non-minimalist shoes.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have a narrow foot at have worn Salomon XA Pro 3D's since ~2008 with good luck. Inov8's fit me well to but I got stress fractures in them after a while. I am not 100% sure it was the shoes but it was enough to make me go back to Salomon. I hear la sportiva is good for narrow feet as well but I have never worn any.

My recomendation is to go to a running store (a real running store not a big box) with someone that really knows how to fit shoes and try on all the trail runners they have, see how the feel, let them watch you walk in them and then make a decision.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

You can search on the New Balance web site for shoes of a specified width. Could be useful.
    http://www.newbalance.com/

Cheers

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

I'm sporting aa/b size 12 with crazy high arches and zero pronation. Feet used to hurt even while sitting at my desk, standing was unbearable. Brooks Glyerine in narrow helped, New Balance 1063/1064 in narrow helped. But, far and away the best are innov 8 rocklite 295's with thickish socks. fits good and no pain. The problem you will run in to with big brand running shoes is all the plastic decorations on them. Since you have to cinch up your shoes alot the plastic will bend in ways not envisioned by the maker over time. I have ended up with bloody cuts and blisters on top of my toes from all the decorative junk. The 295's are pretty plain and therefore not prone to that kind of problem. Good luck

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Locale: Boston, MA

I have pretty narrow feet and Salomon is my go to brand. Fit like a glove. A lot of the euro brands are narrower.

Sean Fletcher

@risen19

See, I tried on the Salomons and the La Sportiva. I originally wanted to get the La Sportiva Wildcats but they didn't feel good at all. It looks like the Salomons fit quite a few people with narrow feet. I might have to go retry. I also haven't searched any of these companies actual websites. Maybe they'll let people order them narrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a look at all of them. If anybody else has any recommendations then feel free to let me know!

Sean

Zach Baker

@zwb0002

Locale: the plains

I've got low volume feet, and my Speedcross 3's fit great.

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

Try the La Sportiva Raptor. I've got narrow feet and have had real problems getting anything to fit in part because I end up being between a 13 and 14 and there are no half sizes. Fortunately La Sportiva uses Euro sizes and they have something that translates to about a 13.5 and is narrow enough with a roomy toe box. I thin the 0.5 euro sizing makes it easier to get a good fit. Good luck.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

+1 on the Sportiva's. I tried them after reading Skurka's book and really like them. Definitely on the narrow, low volume side.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools