Topic

A brief negative review of the Brooks PureDrift

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A brief negative review of the Brooks PureDrift

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

This is definitely my last footwear review ever, people are just getting pissy.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Eugene.

Settled on is not a negative phrase. Settled for…. Perhaps

Never seen such a bunch of bitching on about a review.

Take it or leave it, but you guys are being a bunch of whiny little beeps on this.

samuel smillie

@sam_smillie

Locale: central canada

This thread is hilarious.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

First off, I don't need or want "credibility."

Yes you do, if you want people to take you seriously.

You have not been here for long. You proclaim the Boreas to be the best pack ever for you though you have not been backpacking all that long. You talk about breaking backcountry rules for your own reasons.
    You have an issue with one foot that puts you into a weird category when offering advice on shoes to others.

We can see that you are a intelligent, passionate person, Great. Keep swinging. But expect some criticism.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

"Just be clear, declaring you settled with the Vibram FiveFingers toe gloves throws out any credibility you may have in regard to footwear"

I ask this out of my own ignorance of footwear, and is a genuine question: Is there something that negative about Vibram FFs or is it the complete switch between types of footwear of the OP that warrants this comment? I also ask because I enjoy hiking in FFs when the terrain and weather permit.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

@Max,

I was being a facetious little turd. Don't take any stock in my drive by comment.

Whether or not someone uses FiveFingers is not by business. Your feet, not mine. The FiveFingers debate has been pretty well hashed out, no need to go there. Some make them work, others don't.

Carry on.

*Fwiw, I do believe there is a significant difference between the Brooks PureDrift and a pair of FiveFingers. You'll figure that out in short order.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Listen, maybe the vets here put a lot of stock into credibility out of some misplaced desire to be seen as an expert, or the illusion of credibility based on the opinions of strangers. A lot of people really are experts! I was born in the digital age- I know better.

I come to the forums because it's useful, and because post-surgery I have a lot of time and I need my outdoors fix. I contribute MY opinions because I try to give back when I receive. I'm not afraid to be wrong, and i'm not afraid of losing a reputation that is nearly worthless.

If you wouldn't dream of dropping casual opinions or reviewing an item without the backdrop of having tested everything, that's your choice. I'm doing things my way- i'm not that intent on being perfect, and I'd rather give too much and be useless occasionally than never give and be useless constantly.

I like this forum. I make jokes with people. I picture myself having awesome new experiences. I learn. And maybe, I occasionally help someone else- it's why i'm a teacher, a student leader, and the oldest of four brothers- this is me!

I'm gonna keep being me.

On topic:
    I put FF in the same category as the other minimalist shoes. The big turn of opinion you guys are talking about is news to me. I'll read up on old threads. Wasn't intending to derail. They really do fit nice- i like forgetting that i'm wearing a shoe, and I couldn't do that with the Brooks' upper.

P.p.s: I'm in the top four percent of post-undergrad writers in the United States. Verbosity is an unintended consequence, these essays take me minutes. Sorry about all the text, guys ;)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Listen, maybe the vets here put a lot of stock into credibility out of some misplaced desire to be seen as an expert, or the illusion of credibility based on the opinions of strangers. I was born in the digital age- I know better."

Is that the it's on the internet so it much be true crowd?

"I come to the forums because it's useful"

Why is it useful? Is it because of the credibility of information you can find here?

We had a fire at the tortillaria. So I have extra time for here too. Hope you procedure went well.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I said it before, actually, here: I use what's useful and ignore what isn't, and that doesn't mean I ignore what I don't agree with.

Procedure did go well, I was on crutches for a couple weeks and now i'm recovering, so no hiking till mid february. I have a vein malformation in my right foot. My left foot is a 10.5 D and my right is an 8 EE, it's a nightmare to size but my issues with the Brooks were independent from shoe length.

The tiredness of walking in barefoot shoes is miles better than the pain of a swollen vein tumor. Moving it around increases circulation, so the more muscle I build in my foot, the better I feel. One year ago, I was sure i'd never run or hike in my life; today, i'm on a quest to fast thru-hike in the Northeast. I'm proud of overcoming.

Three surgeries down, maybe 1 more to go- maybe not!!

For anyone wondering, the feet don't look that different, you might not notice. The length difference is a centimeter. I thought I was a size 12 until today's visit with the professional… Yeesh!

I don't know which size my Vibram's are. I don't even know what model. I tried on like 6 pairs before whipping out my credit card in triumph, and lost track. Because there's a strap behind the heel, i've got a snug fit on both feet. My feet look as different in these as they do barefoot, a good indicator of correct fit.

This is the first pair of shoes i've ever owned where i'd consider buying two pairs to get two different sizes. For now, this'll do.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools