Topic

Waterproofness of Dyneema D40?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Waterproofness of Dyneema D40?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I recently had a custom piece made by Chris Zimmer and forgot to ask him about the water resistance of Dyneema D40. I've bothered him enough with relentless e-mails. Anyone here have a quick answer for me? Google was no help.

If it is waterproof, anyone know the hydrostatic head? If it isn't, anyone know if it can be treated with DWR/Nikwax?

Thanks, BPL.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I am assuming you mean DX40 (the dyneema-polyester blend from dimension polyant). It is laminated and is completely waterproof. I don't know the hh, but you don't have to worry about it. It's waterproof.

Also, for future reference, dwr is not a waterproofing. It will keep the fabric from wetting out for a while, but it eventually relents.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Yep. DWR is better than nothing, but it's irrelevant if it's waterproof material. Awesome to know my new gear is waterproof, since this wasn't a requirement from inception. I am thrilled.

Does the laminate wear out like DWR, or is it pretty durable? Sorry, I know nothing about the fabric, I just took the expert's advice on it being the toughest.

Chris referred to it as D40, not DX40, and he's the packmaker. Don't know if it's an abbreviation or a separate fabric, because I have no experience.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

From Chris Zimmer:

"I do not have any pure 100% Dyneema material, but I do have some D40, (also known as DX40, but without the black X ply yarn) it has a good amount of dyneema on the face fabric and is a very burly material."

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

If it is what I'm assuming, then you are fine. The material is really tough. I actually put together a pack bottom today with it. It is strong face fabric with a black diamond pattern underneath. The laminate is sandwiched between the face fabric and an inner material. Even if the laminate were the inner most layer, you wouldn't have to worry about elimination with dp materials. I use a light material called Tx07 often that is set up that way. Aside from abrasion ripping the laminate, you'd be fine. I , and I think most here would agree, find laminates significantly better than coatings.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

When Chris made my pack, he made the zippered pockets out of X-Pac because he said it was waterproof whereas the Dyneema DX was only water resistant (open side pockets and front shovel pocket are Dyneema)…FWIW.

New Zimmerbuilt Front

-Mark in St. Louis

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Hmmm. I have never seen that one. It is basically the same material though.

On a related note, does anyone know if dimension polyant has come back to allowing small orders?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

The fabric Chris Zimmer used on my hip pack was D40 and should be White on White, no black or grey to be found. That's what it looks like here:

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/gear-deals.html

Second pack down.

Zimmerbuilt

Awesome. One last question- if I get some McNett seam sealer, will it take? I only ask because I know some fabrics resist certain treatments and adhesives.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Unless they have significantly changed the composition of the material since I ordered some, it is fully waterproof.

Yes that is the same stuff max. Only difference is that it lacks the black diamond pattern. You'll be happy with it I think.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Just to clarify, mark, what you are referencing is dyneema gridstop. It is a 210 denier nylon with a dyneema ripstop. All of that material that I have encountered has a waterproof poly-urethane (I believe)coating.

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

D40 is the same material as DX40 but without the X ply yarn. Hale at DP said they had a customer that wanted the DX40 material, but they did not like the black X ply yarn so they made a batch without it.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Hey Chris, are they selling small batches again?

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

When I last ordered in December they had a 50yd minimum.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO
    Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Thanks Chris. Still a little high for my needs.

Brendan, pm sent.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Too much "dyneema" thrown around.

My mistake…sorry for that.

-Mark

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Haha no worries! Fabrics get very confusing

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools